English Amiga Board


Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.Amiga Game Factory

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 17 February 2017, 08:05   #1
alpine9000
Registered User

 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Australia
Posts: 370
Climby Skies - development thread

I have been slowly working on a new game engine post Blocky Skies.

The goal of this game is still to create something fairly simple such that I can actually get it finished in a reasonable time.

Anyway, here is the first preview of the engine. This isn't really what the game will look like at all, more just a test to see if the engine will be fast enough for the target platform (Unexpanded Amiga 500).

This game is written mostly in C using my custom GCC 6 port that outputs VASM assembler.

[ Show youtube player ]
alpine9000 is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
Old 17 February 2017, 08:13   #2
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant
Predseda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: The City of Townsville
Age: 39
Posts: 4,517
A new platformer! There is never enough! Is this the random design layout, or fixed? Does the game go eternally, or are there levels that can be completed (like in Rainbow Islands)?
Predseda is offline  
Old 17 February 2017, 08:15   #3
alpine9000
Registered User

 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Australia
Posts: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
Is this the random design layout, or fixed? Does the game go eternally, or are there levels that can be completed (like in Rainbow Islands)?
There are fixed levels. I hope the end game will be a bit more sophisticated than would be possible with random levels, but random levels would be trivial to implement.
alpine9000 is offline  
Old 17 February 2017, 09:13   #4
gurth
Registered User

gurth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Halifax
Posts: 88
This is great work. I've been checking out your repos on GitHub with the hope of following and attempting something similar.

My original plan was to setup a Dev Amiga and to use AsmOne or similar but after losing so much time trying to get aging hardware to run smothly with compact flash cards / floppies / gotek I'm starting to rethink my approach.

I'm leaning towards using Atom text editor sharing files with an emulated environment on my mac so I can save in Atom and compile in emulator. 68000 assembly was going to preference but after reading your post C might be a better approach and slightly more useful in my day job as a software engineer.

I'd be really interested to hear about your toolchain and setup.
gurth is offline  
Old 17 February 2017, 09:35   #5
alpine9000
Registered User

 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Australia
Posts: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by gurth View Post
This is great work. I've been checking out your repos on GitHub with the hope of following and attempting something similar.

My original plan was to setup a Dev Amiga and to use AsmOne or similar but after losing so much time trying to get aging hardware to run smothly with compact flash cards / floppies / gotek I'm starting to rethink my approach.

I'm leaning towards using Atom text editor sharing files with an emulated environment on my mac so I can save in Atom and compile in emulator. 68000 assembly was going to preference but after reading your post C might be a better approach and slightly more useful in my day job as a software engineer.

I'd be really interested to hear about your toolchain and setup.
I cross develop on a mac and periodically test on real hardware.

It's so much faster to build on the mac. And fs-uae makes low level debugging really easy.

Happy to provide details on my dev setup.
alpine9000 is offline  
Old 17 February 2017, 10:59   #6
DamienD
Global Moderator

DamienD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: London / Sydney
Age: 41
Posts: 9,663
Cool stuff alpine9000
DamienD is offline  
Old 17 February 2017, 11:08   #7
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant
Predseda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: The City of Townsville
Age: 39
Posts: 4,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpine9000 View Post
There are fixed levels. I hope the end game will be a bit more sophisticated than would be possible with random levels, but random levels would be trivial to implement.
GREAT! Looking forward to power-ups, fruits and end-level bosses! I love Rainbow Islands genre and this your game could be exactly for me.
Predseda is offline  
Old 17 February 2017, 11:14   #8
alpine9000
Registered User

 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Australia
Posts: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
GREAT! Looking forward to power-ups, fruits and end-level bosses! I love Rainbow Islands genre and this your game could be exactly for me.
My plan is to have various power ups, fruits etc. some will be visible, others only revealed by smashing a platform. That stuff is all pretty easy.

Well have to see how we go with bosses, lots of artwork there. Only time will tell where we end up :-)
alpine9000 is offline  
Old 17 February 2017, 13:35   #9
Lazycow
Registered User
Lazycow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Germany
Posts: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpine9000 View Post
This game is written mostly in C using my custom GCC 6 port that outputs VASM assembler.
Is the compiler available somewhere?
Lazycow is offline  
Old 17 February 2017, 13:52   #10
clebin
Registered User
clebin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Cardiff
Posts: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpine9000 View Post
I cross develop on a mac and periodically test on real hardware.

It's so much faster to build on the mac. And fs-uae makes low level debugging really easy.

Happy to provide details on my dev setup.
I, for one, would find any details on your setup and processes really valuable, or even links to information you've found useful...

I've found that when it comes to Amiga games programming, there's a real lack of information out there about using C/C++. Most stuff is either super low-level assembler or higher level Blitz, neither of which suit me.

Loved Blocky Skies by the way.
clebin is online now  
Old 17 February 2017, 17:11   #11
Akira
Registered User

Akira's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 18,304
Congrats on your new game, looking good!
Suggestion, though: please don't fall into that trend of unimaginative mobile game developers that name all their games "adjective-y noun" to catch on whatever wave Flappy Bird left, it's really really stupid.
Akira is offline  
Old 17 February 2017, 23:38   #12
alpine9000
Registered User

 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Australia
Posts: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazycow View Post
Is the compiler available somewhere?
The compiler hacks are on my github, but it is not really usable for anything other than a 68000/direct hardware game, and even then it's probably not complete. I have only converted the asm from gas to vasm when vasm barfs assembling something, so I am sure there would be heaps of stuff still to do for it to be complete.

No C library or startup code etc, you have to manually link.

I would just go with bebbo's toolchain if you're interested in gcc 6.
alpine9000 is offline  
Old 17 February 2017, 23:40   #13
alpine9000
Registered User

 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Australia
Posts: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by clebin View Post
I, for one, would find any details on your setup and processes really valuable, or even links to information you've found useful...

I've found that when it comes to Amiga games programming, there's a real lack of information out there about using C/C++. Most stuff is either super low-level assembler or higher level Blitz, neither of which suit me.

Loved Blocky Skies by the way.

Well the full source code is on my github if that would help.
alpine9000 is offline  
Old 17 February 2017, 23:43   #14
alpine9000
Registered User

 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Australia
Posts: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Congrats on your new game, looking good!
Suggestion, though: please don't fall into that trend of unimaginative mobile game developers that name all their games "adjective-y noun" to catch on whatever wave Flappy Bird left, it's really really stupid.
You make a good point, however that mistake was already made with Blocky Skies, and the new name is a continuation of that theme.
alpine9000 is offline  
Old 17 February 2017, 23:57   #15
Gzegzolka
Registered User

 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Warszawa / Polska
Posts: 1,029
Looks like a very nice game
Gzegzolka is offline  
Old 18 February 2017, 01:45   #16
idrougge
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 3,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by clebin View Post
I've found that when it comes to Amiga games programming, there's a real lack of information out there about using C/C++. Most stuff is either super low-level assembler or higher level Blitz, neither of which suit me.
This one is on my Youtube "watch later" list.
[ Show youtube player ]
idrougge is offline  
Old 18 February 2017, 17:54   #17
s2325
Zone Friend

s2325's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Gargore
Age: 37
Posts: 17,816
new video

[ Show youtube player ]
s2325 is offline  
Old 18 February 2017, 22:26   #18
clebin
Registered User
clebin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Cardiff
Posts: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpine9000 View Post
Well the full source code is on my github if that would help.
Thanks - I'm sure it'll be a great help when I get stuck (which I do, frequently)

Cheers for the video as well idrougge.
clebin is online now  
Old 24 February 2017, 12:30   #19
alpine9000
Registered User

 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Australia
Posts: 370
Another demo video.

This demo is testing if I can render all tiles with masking so that the background displays behind them.



I obviously cheat a bit and don't render with a mask if there is nothing to see behind the tile.

Either way, it's starting to get to the limit of what my old Amiga 500 can do at 50 frames per second

[ Show youtube player ]
alpine9000 is offline  
Old 04 March 2017, 08:46   #20
alpine9000
Registered User

 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Australia
Posts: 370
I have been working on the first powerup. The Jetpack allows the player to fly up the board (until he runs out of fuel) and in jetpack mode he will not collide with platforms as he is flying up.

This demo also uses a level that has a full tiled background (no clouds).



I also added a simple menu and loading screens.

[ Show youtube player ]
alpine9000 is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Scourge of the Underkind: Development thread LordNipple Amiga scene 217 13 November 2017 16:52
AlarCity: Development Thread Tsak Amiga scene 194 23 October 2017 13:34
Inviyya - Development Thread (Space Shooter) Steril707 project.Amiga Game Factory 71 21 September 2017 12:21
Tales of Gorluth II - Development thread viddi project.Amiga Game Factory 51 07 September 2016 03:33
Tales of Gorluth - Development Thread viddi project.Amiga Game Factory 156 17 September 2013 20:52

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 00:14.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Page generated in 0.39222 seconds with 14 queries