English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 02 July 2018, 15:27   #21
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigolemon View Post
Yeah, wondered this myself, I've only tried it in my A1000 to see, and got nowhere with the jumper in either position. Cracking open my A500 tonight to try it there
Hi, please update what happened! How is it with games, WHDLoad etc ??
Old 04 July 2018, 17:00   #22
sordan

Another 10 cads available to buy right now, ready to despatch on this Friday. Thanks.
https://sordan.ie/product/583/turbo-...ide-amiga-500/
Old 04 July 2018, 17:21   #23
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methanoid View Post
see link I posted
Thanks, I guess it should work if you don't have a lot of expansions installed. Although my A2000 is still in a non-running state, I am considering getting one of these for it..

Will it work with two IDE devices, provided the drives behave nicely together (I know that many CF cards will be problematic)? I only see mentions of a single CF card being installed.
Old 04 July 2018, 17:23   #24
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Can you respond to query and I will buy
Quote:
Originally Posted by sordan View Post
Another 10 cads available to buy right now, ready to despatch on this Friday. Thanks.
https://sordan.ie/product/583/turbo-...ide-amiga-500/
Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk
Old 04 July 2018, 17:31   #25
sordan

Methanoid: I have already responded you on Amibay. Thanks.
Old 04 July 2018, 20:27   #26
sordan

All gone now. Thanks for your orders. I will post all of them on Friday 6th July.
Old 22 July 2018, 23:07   #27
xanderbeanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methanoid View Post
Hi, please update what happened! How is it with games, WHDLoad etc ??
Hiya,

I thought I’d leave some feedback as I’ve had a few weeks to put the HC533 through it’s paces.

I sadly never got the ACA500+ to work for more than a few minutes so was looking for a stable solution. This drops right into the 68000 socket so installation was pretty painless, I mean, I did have to bend a small capacitor out of the way.

I hadn’t properly used an Amiga for 20 years so I had to learn about using WINUAE to format a CF card and install workbench 2.1, but once I sorted it was fine.

So yeah, it runs workbench stuff fine, WHDload (within the usual caveats, i only have 1.5Meg chipmem so sometimes need to boot with no startup sequence and load them through shell else certain games get their knickers in a twist) and the CF card access speed is nippy.

Having a 33mhz machine is nice because things like Frontier/Hard Drivin run very smooth and I’m very happy with my purchase!

I’m mainly using my Amiga for Music stuff, I’m a Synthesizer player and have a big collection, so having a quick boot up time and all my samples/trackers etc on a CF card is a big plus.

I’d rate it 9/10. I would like the option to drop back to 7mhz mode, but never mind, A500’s are dirt cheap and you can always buy an unexpanded 1.3/1.3 model of you need some specific old applications.
Old 24 July 2018, 06:01   #28
gdunlapsd

Thank you for your review, xanderbeanz! I'm pretty happy with mine, although I have trouble with a few games that either don't like Fast RAM or are "confused" by a 68000 running so fast:

Uridium 2 - Any ADF I tried (via Gotek drive) won't boot, but a WHDLoad copy I have works fine.

Micro Machines - Seems to work fine, both ADF and WHDLoad, but there are weird, single-frame (it appears) "glitches", like screen timing being off perhaps.

Battle Squadron - Also runs fine, except the music plays at a bit faster tempo and occasionally has the same "glitches" as Micro Machines (but fas less often - siometimes it doesn't do it at all). Same behavior both ADF and WHDLoad.

Jet - Every ADF I've tried has graphical rendering glitches during the demo and crashes when I try to play. The WHDLoad copy I have works fine.

Anyway, just wanted to provide my own feedack.
Old 24 July 2018, 14:33   #29
HardStep

Planned not to expand my A500 but this is getting too tempting.
Old 24 July 2018, 14:46   #30
xanderbeanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardStep View Post
Planned not to expand my A500 but this is getting too tempting.
Heck if I could do it successfully after not opening an Amiga for 20 years then anyone can. I even found the right screw driver in my toolbox for the inside screws.

I’ve only found one piece of software that doesn’t like the upgrade, and that’s an early version of soundtracker that is notorious anyway, lol.
Old 06 August 2018, 20:48   #31
gdunlapsd

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdunlapsd View Post
Thank you for your review, xanderbeanz! I'm pretty happy with mine, although I have trouble with a few games that either don't like Fast RAM or are "confused" by a 68000 running so fast:

Uridium 2 - Any ADF I tried (via Gotek drive) won't boot, but a WHDLoad copy I have works fine.

Micro Machines - Seems to work fine, both ADF and WHDLoad, but there are weird, single-frame (it appears) "glitches", like screen timing being off perhaps.

Battle Squadron - Also runs fine, except the music plays at a bit faster tempo and occasionally has the same "glitches" as Micro Machines (but fas less often - siometimes it doesn't do it at all). Same behavior both ADF and WHDLoad.

Jet - Every ADF I've tried has graphical rendering glitches during the demo and crashes when I try to play. The WHDLoad copy I have works fine.

Anyway, just wanted to provide my own feedack.

In case anyone sees this and is worried, turns out my screen glitches in Micro Machines and Battle Squadron were caused by a faulty Agnus chip! Somehow the accelerator exacerbated the problem, but a replacement Agnus fixed it completely!
Old 06 August 2018, 23:31   #32
xanderbeanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdunlapsd View Post
In case anyone sees this and is worried, turns out my screen glitches in Micro Machines and Battle Squadron were caused by a faulty Agnus chip! Somehow the accelerator exacerbated the problem, but a replacement Agnus fixed it completely!
That’s cool.

The only issues I ever got glitch-wise were using older (say between 2007-2013) WHDload installs, the pre-packed convenient ones. where coders hadn’t really realised yet that 68000 users would even be mad enough to try WHDload.

It was in like 2 or 3 out of 100 games, and using 2016-17 installs and ADFs I got most of them sorted out.

The issues I had left were:

- Galaxy Force II, just doesn’t like my expanded Amiga, whether from WHDload or floppy, it hangs after the planet select. That’ll have to be a MAME game for me.

- Flashback, it works but it’s kind of unstable and crashes sometimes, even with all the no auto vector/mmu/cache/vbrmove options that I don’t understand. Thankfully I own this on the Megadrive, where the 3 button pad is actually kind of better.

- Arabian Nights, this game doesn’t work at all, no way, no how.

Also, in some point and click games it really doesn’t like to save and can crash, never quite worked this out, but hey, more modern slaves may be written. I wouldn’t mind having the option to write saves to floppy but I think this may be against how WHDload works.

Anyhow, I’m happy with the level of compatibility and use I’ve gotten out of this 1991 machine, it’s crazy if you think about it.

And I mainly bought my Amiga for music anyway, I love the crunchy samples and unique synthesis options on the Amiga, it is going to fit in well to my studio (which at the moment is less of a studio and more a pile of synthesizers!)

Some nice folks on here even taught me how to turn Paula’s super secret ring modulation on using assembler, and that’s turned up some very unique sounds, especially say modulating a sine wave against a drum track, very cool, and something you’d usually need expensive modular equipment for.

Anyhow, hope I didn’t waffle too much, I am feeling quite low and isolated tonight so enjoyed the chance to distract myself and post about my Amiga experiences for a little while.
Old 07 August 2018, 00:26   #33
indigolemon
Bit Copying Bard

It's running really well in my A1000, although The Settlers seems to crash when you start a game. Anyone else able to try it?
Old 09 August 2018, 20:18   #34
ItsTheSmell

ACA500+ comparison

I got a mate the 500+ for his amiga but he hates the way it sticks out of the side. This seemed to be a good replacement, has anyone done a comparison between the two?
Old 09 August 2018, 20:22   #35
xanderbeanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigolemon View Post
It's running really well in my A1000, although The Settlers seems to crash when you start a game. Anyone else able to try it?
Have you typed

NOCACHE
NOMMU
NOAUTOVEC
NOVBRMOVE

Into the “tool types” icon information window? If a game isn’t working I usually try that.
Old 09 August 2018, 20:29   #36
xanderbeanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheSmell View Post
I got a mate the 500+ for his amiga but he hates the way it sticks out of the side. This seemed to be a good replacement, has anyone done a comparison between the two?
ACA has faster processor (50Mhz)
ACA has 2 CF cards and easy external access
ACA has an interesting F7 quick install option
ACA has profiles for turning off the acceleration
ACA has kickstarts on board, with HC533 you need the real chip(s)

That said:

HC533 is internal
HC533 is incredibly easy to fit

I’ll just finish by saying that my A500+, which booted fine on its own, hated the ACA and didn’t boot once, constant errors and crashes, sheer misery. The HC533 has worked flawlessly from the moment I put it in, rock stable.
Old 10 August 2018, 12:05   #37
ItsTheSmell

Thanks for that info. He has a standard A500 so perhaps its the ECS that was the problem with the crashes. Im gonna try and talk him into keeping ACA for now.
Old 10 August 2018, 12:24   #38
xanderbeanz

You can buy, on eBay, a clear plastic case for the ACA to make it a bit less of an eyesore.
Old 10 August 2018, 13:03   #39
indigolemon
Bit Copying Bard

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post
Have you typed

NOCACHE
NOMMU
NOAUTOVEC
NOVBRMOVE

Into the “tool types” icon information window? If a game isn’t working I usually try that.
Ah, not tried the WHDLoad one yet, as I'm limited to 512kb chip on the 1000. This was an install from my original disks
Old 10 August 2018, 14:12   #40
ItsTheSmell

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post
You can buy, on eBay, a clear plastic case for the ACA to make it a bit less of an eyesore.

yeah Ive seen that, it looks daft, they should make a case that is the same shape as the a500.