English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 19 February 2005, 17:59   #1
tomcat666
Retro Freak

1084 Monitor Problem

I hope I can ask you a quick question - I have got a 1084 Monitor - it is the same for which Ray Carlsen has the schematics on his site (PAL, SCART input and mono audio with video inputs and the RGB TTL input). When I turn it on the picture is VERY bright - even if I put the brightness totally down it is still pretty much white. No outside controls help. There is a picture though and it looks fine - only it is bright as hell I hope it is easily fixable... but I don't really want to poke inside a monitor case without knowing exactly what I am doing ;-) Any help is very much appretiated...
Old 19 February 2005, 18:59   #2
wlcina

I think your power for crt is damaged, crt tube is getting too much power. you can setup it manually, but it may be dangerous.

at the back panel are the little regulators (resistors) and one of them is decidet to setup brightness (voltage for crt tube), but I think the best solution will be to give monitor to TV repairer )
Old 19 February 2005, 20:04   #3
tomcat666
Retro Freak

Ahh, if it might be dangerous (which it can always be with the monitors...) then it could really be a good idea to give it to some tv repairer... Monitor was really really cheap - 7 EUR So no biggy anyway
Old 19 February 2005, 22:51   #4
Sune Salminen
Dinamáquina

It could also be something simple, the brightness control could be broken and stuck on the highest setting. That would be easy to check.
Old 20 February 2005, 08:23   #5
tomcat666
Retro Freak

Got an answer fro Ray Carlsen also - he thinks it might be either a bigger problem (as wlcina already said - and there is something wrong with the power regulator) or the master brightness control (CRT Screen or G2 Control) might be set too high. I will try this today with some expert help (hopefully) I will probably dissasmble the monitor today and take some pictures of the stuff inside before fiddling with anything.... Hopefully he or someone here can help with it. Otherwise I will take it to a TV repair shop...
Old 20 February 2005, 09:54   #6
tomcat666
Retro Freak

Ahh - I located the Focus and brightness resistor on the CRT board and I have adjusted it so it is perfect for RGB input (I even adjusted focus so it is nice now). So for RGB input from my Amiga the picture is PERFECT Infact it is better than on a perfectly new TV
Only thing is that the front panel Brightness control works only a LITTLE now - just fades picture down and up a bit, not as much as it should. So there might be some other problem somewhere ?

Unfortunetly the CVBS input (Luma/Chroma or combined) from C64 doesn't really work that well. When I turn the colour control (on the front panel) totally down (B&W) the picture is perfect, but when I just turn it up a little (REALLY a little) - the colours are really bright and the picture looses its sharpness and the colours are all "wavy" - red is actually a mangenta with some blue inside, etc.. Very strange. None of the controls seem to affect it much (infact none of the controls apart from the Colour have a usable range if you ask me). Also the CVBS/LCA (I have both the CVBS only cabel and the separate Chroma/Luma - SVHS one for the C64) switch seems to be a bit bad since sometimes when you press it the colour is totally gone until you power the monitor off for a bit and then back on. So the C64 is not really usable on it Any suggestions on this part ?