English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 12 September 2013, 05:14   #1
przemd

Elvira 2 :in the jaws of cerberus question

Hello. I registered to ask a question that's bothering me. I was always a big fan of this game, it was my amiga favourite and I think it was very underestimated. It was a hit when it came out but later it was kind of forgotten. I recently watched a longplay on youtube and to my suprise the player found a chainsaw and electric drill in catacombs. I don't remember those items at all, I wonder what they are for? Is there any use for them? He didn't take them. I hope someone remembers answer to this.

Old 13 September 2013, 17:02   #2
clenched

I played this game extensively a few years back but don't remember those power tools. So let's rip some graphics and have a look. Yes, there they are. Also a blue book with what appears to be the likeness of a rubber duck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Elvira2Items24x24.png
Views:	720
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	36715  
Old 13 September 2013, 20:28   #3
Marcuz

Damn these are gorgeous! 24 pixels each side and completely beautiful and clear.
I'm positively envious.
Old 15 September 2013, 02:35   #4
demoniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by przemd View Post
I recently watched a longplay on youtube and to my suprise the player found a chainsaw and electric drill in catacombs. I don't remember those items at all, I wonder what they are for?
I've been try to finish this game off and on for some months now. The power tools are found in the catacombs and do nothing, but add extra weight. They are movie props giving homage to real horror films.
Old 16 September 2013, 06:30   #5
demoniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by clenched View Post
So let's rip some graphics and have a look. Yes, there they are.
Are you going to rip out the gfx for Elvira and Waxworks too?

Anyone know what the yellow magical potion (found in the catacombs) is for?

Last edited by prowler; 16 September 2013 at 21:43. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged.
Old 21 September 2013, 21:05   #6
Jeedras

Hello. Non red potions in catacombs give stats but maybe yellow one doesn't, one walkthrough call it lemonade. I finished Elvira 2 today and can confirm that Scummvm's amiga version is completable although there are serious errors like crashes and power points stopping to regenerate. Those ripped graphics are beautiful, some items I have no idea what are. There's a body (?!) in row 8 and a gold ring and watch and bucket full of something yellow. Never found them. The book with a duck is children's book from child's bedroom in hounted house.

Last edited by Jeedras; 21 September 2013 at 23:56.

Old 21 September 2013, 23:31   #7
demoniac

The unknown items could be parts that were cut out during development.
Old 22 September 2013, 18:20   #8
demoniac

For me when I found Elvira at the end of Studio 3's catacombs, she decided to tag along. I was unable do any other action On the longplay, the player was able to strike at her. I wonder why the difference?

Jeedras, what was your experience with rescuing Elvira in the catacombs?

(I haven't finished the game yet, but have resurfaced to the chapel.)
Old 22 September 2013, 23:47   #9
Jeedras

Same here, she didn't turn into a snake and attack but joined me. On the other hand I had to fight her in the haunted house. Maybe the order in which you complete studios matter? Like always the last Elvira is the right Elvira. Catacombs are the hardest and you got Elvira so you're almost done with the game, just hope it won't crash by the end as it once did for me and I had to start all over with a different version.

Old 23 September 2013, 08:42   #10
demoniac

Ah, that must be it then. I fought her in the other 2 dungeons already.

My Disk 4 was corrupt for Elvira in the catacombs. I had to fix that, so it took out the momentum I had in finishing the game. Earlier, I had missed a place to descend to reach the other side of a gated section and the nose piece for the wizard costume.
Old 23 September 2013, 19:12   #11
Jeedras

Is disk 4 for death scenes? Catacombs are really complicated. At times I really wished I had a map. I think there is a lever on level 2 that activates a pit trap under certain gates, this got me stuck on my way back as I couldn't pass those gates. I couldn't comprehend those labyrinths and most of the time I was walking randomly until I found something. Extra hard mode of Elvira 2 is when you go there at exp level 6 I only went for sword and shield. If you don't have a complete wizard costume you can still blast this mage with Nova.

Old 24 September 2013, 19:44   #12
demoniac

No, Disk 4 is most of Studio 3. I killed the wizard, but I wanted to verify that the disk image worked properly. To do that I wanted to be complete and see all the scenarios. This makes game play much longer and tedious.
Old 02 October 2014, 10:42   #13
Torisoft

Hi everyone. Reply to all questions. I have thorough info of the game. Have finished all various scenarios. The items you asked (film reels, chain saw, chalice, ...) have no function so far as I know. Maybe they were to be used and later cancelled, or just put there for fun and making the atmosphere. The disks are divided for various parts of the whole map. Disk 4 is mostly death scenes and studio 3. There are 3 Elivras in the game, one in each studio. No matter how you play, the first 2 will always attack, the 3rd will follow for that is the real one. The other two are mimics. Anybody seen harry potter 7 when the snake takes the form of Batilda? Each Elvira (fake or real) has one item needed to complete the game: the tomahawk, war lance, indian bag. if you forget to take them after killing or rescuing you will have to go back and get them.
Best way is to complete studio 2, then 3 and finally 1. You may however take 2, 1 and then 3. This works good as well (making the catacombs easier, but the caves will give you hell).
There is trick with the fish tank in studio 2 that helps you gain level fast. Must kill the fish first (poisoned meat) and then take the key, and after that put it back. Repeat this and gain experience until you reach what level you like! The rest of the game will be easier then.
Read the books in the library at all costs. They give you nice clues. You need to read "Demonology" before the game can be completed. Don's use the heart, second brain, eggs, matches, black candles and the bible from the church or you are done for good.

Let me know if there is any questions. Best

The potions as someone asked, they give stat boost. It seemed to me that their effects varied according to the character I chose at the beginning. Not sure though. Some cluebooks and guides give good description. If anybody using Amiga emulation and WHDload packs, the pack I got had several "solutions" and "cluebook" as well as "cave maps". It lacked maps for "Catacombs" though. You may find a pdf file on the internet containing all maps. Google "Elvira 2 jaws of cerberus catacomb maps" and you may find the link. Good luck

Last edited by TCD; 04 October 2014 at 20:53. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged.
Old 04 October 2014, 02:53   #14
demoniac

Thanks for the lengthy response.

It's been about a year since I last played this. I finished the game in 2 ways -- (a) where the real Elvira was in Studio 3, and (b) where the real Elvira was in Studio 1. I didn't bother trying the scenario of having the real Elvira in Studio 2. Although a small part of me wants to do it just to validate that the disks can be completed that way.

Which character class do you like using the best?
Old 04 October 2014, 10:00   #15
Torisoft

Hi, thanks.

It can definitely be finished that way as well. Though you will have to play studio 2 before the other two, only leaving the franky monster for the end. The disks I have (images) are ok as well as the WHDloads, the second has a hanging bug inside the church when I try to get the holy water, but it does not occur every time.

The characters are there to give you a choice of gameplay orientation. If you are computer programer then your mental side is stronger and you'd be better with magic, weaker in physical aspects. If you choose stuntman you are to experience the game more physically and less magically! If you choose knife thrower it is like the stunt (not as strong) but better fighter with weapons (better accuracy). The private eye is sort of balanced. I preferred the stunt man at first (1996 on real amiga) due to hardships in catacomb fights! But later (emulation) I mostly took the computer programer or knife thrower. My most favorite is the private eye though. Everything in balance!
Old 04 October 2014, 20:33   #16
demoniac

I picked the Private Eye as well, because if you add up all the stats it is the highest with Knife Thrower being second. The Programmer stats are the least in total points.

I was quite surprised that when I saw how the easily Stuntman progressed in the beginning levels compared to the Private Eye in the video walk through.

Level 10 is the maximum the character can advance to.

BTW, IIRC, I tried exploiting the fish-key bug, but it didn't seem to work.

I should really finalize/clean up my screen captures, save states and disks, so I can complete the game for good. However since I've been away from playing so long, it'll take me a good few hours to figure out where I left everything at.
Old 06 October 2014, 09:04   #17
Torisoft

The games goes magical as you progress. The large bee and the wizard may only be killed with magic, so physical strength is not enough per se. If your body is weak, you can use Magic Muscles or Magical Armour when needed, but weakness in magic has no cure.

the fish tank bug: first take the pictures from bedroom and see how the makeup is. Then get stuff from makeup room and uniform from costume room and put everything on in front of the mirror. Then get the poison formula from library (book of poisons). Go to basement and ask the scientist "if he wants help" first, then ask him to make the poison. After that use the poison on meat found in fridge room and bang! Give the meat to fish inside the tank and "take the key". Then try putting it back in (i guess you know this far) to get extra xp. If it does not work, try another set of disks or a WHDload file. Works like a charm!

Question: What in hell does "Detect Magic"??? I could never understand it. It says "makes you understand the power of magic"! What is that? I have used it a lot and seen no effect. What am I missing?

Hint for object management:
Do not leave stuff in various places. I normally collect and pile then between doors to studio 1 and 2. Put everything on the pile and don't make spells until your level is high enough (5 at least) except the spells needed to get you there (courage, turn undead) or those needing no ingredients (ice darts..). If you can use the fish tank bug and raise the level the better. I some times do the next part on levels 8-9 and the result is much better.

Make a brainboost and cast one. Your intelligence sky rockets. Now you make max spells out of objects. Now be quick on the pile and make spells like hell. You need to be careful not to use the items needed for the end. I normally put them at studio 3 door to be safe. Make the rare spells (luck, courage, telekinesis, magic armour, antidote...) first and the commons last (fireballs, freezing blades, ...). Use every useless object for freezing blade and use the damn spell as much, it helps a lot. Try to finish before the brainboost goes out.

Once you get the gems from inside spider caves, time for another brainboost and making lighting bolts, enchant weapon, absorb magic, etc.

People who played the game almost always forgot about illusion, fear and glue. They are cool, I have tried. Save NOVA for wizard, huge bee and angle of death. It is quite powerful, but few can be made.

Last edited by TCD; 06 October 2014 at 09:07. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged.
Old 08 October 2014, 05:51   #18
demoniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torisoft View Post
Question: What in hell does "Detect Magic"??? I could never understand it. It says "makes you understand the power of magic"! What is that? I have used it a lot and seen no effect. What am I missing?
I vaguely remember something about this spell. I believe you need to cast it when there's a magical item (e.g., a potion). It might be that you need to cast it in the items container before you pick it up, but I don't remember.
Old 08 October 2014, 12:20   #19
Torisoft

That is for example when picking up a yellow potion it tells what it does? That may be nice! I have to try. Thanks for now.
Old 08 October 2014, 23:23   #20
demoniac

It doesn't say what item is, it just flashes stars to represent that the item is magical IIRC.