English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 18 March 2007, 02:18   #21
Calgor
(Amigas && Amigos)++

That may depends which version of FlashUpdate. There is a really old version available that does not perform a check to see which PicassoIV.resource you have existing. I used it when my flicker fixer chip crapped out. But who knows if it updates everything in the chip that you need?

I can supply you the file but suggest you talk to Tobias as suggested above first. Could be a risk to use it, but i guess it couldn't make your card worse? You can also get the file and other possible tips in the file archive by joining the yahoo group also.
Old 19 March 2007, 09:48   #22
mabus
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgor
That may depends which version of FlashUpdate. There is a really old version available that does not perform a check to see which PicassoIV.resource you have existing. I used it when my flicker fixer chip crapped out. But who knows if it updates everything in the chip that you need?

I can supply you the file but suggest you talk to Tobias as suggested above first. Could be a risk to use it, but i guess it couldn't make your card worse? You can also get the file and other possible tips in the file archive by joining the yahoo group also.
I'd like to try it, can't imagine it would make things any worse I did find a version 1.11 somewhere (an update to 1.10) which claims to be able to update even if the PicassoIV.resource cannot be found. But that updatetool still complains that there is no PicassoIV.resource and exits.

If you such an updatetool, it would be great to try it!

All the best,

-m
Old 22 March 2007, 05:00   #23
Calgor
(Amigas && Amigos)++

In the Zone.

Copy it onto a bootable floppy disk, then make sure you boot off floppy from a cold start. I usually also copy other useful files onto the boot floppy such as later versions of Picasso IV roms or P4Info tool from later flash update archives. Without the later versions your pablo/paloma will not work.
I suppose you have an alternate monitor connected to RGB port for your testing too?
Old 22 March 2007, 14:22   #24
mabus
Zone Friend

Quote:
In the Zone.

Copy it onto a bootable floppy disk, then make sure you boot off floppy from a cold start. I usually also copy other useful files onto the boot floppy such as later versions of Picasso IV roms or P4Info tool from later flash update archives. Without the later versions your pablo/paloma will not work.
I suppose you have an alternate monitor connected to RGB port for your testing too?
Thanks for this! I don't have access to the Zone for some reason, maybe I need to bribe an Admin to get in?

These problems actually started when I booted from the original PicassoIV install disk to install the card, which also flashes the card as the first thing (doesn't load wb until it's done). But the machine froze in the process and then i could even smell burning...

I've got a VGA monitor hooked up to the VGA connector on the motherboard (A3k).
Old 22 March 2007, 14:36   #25
keropi

How do I get access to the zone?
Old 22 March 2007, 15:33   #26
Calgor
(Amigas && Amigos)++

Hmmm, the burning ? You gotta be careful with the Picasso IV in an A4000D. I had to change the memory chips on the motherboard to shorter/thinner ones to prevent the card from scraping them and then visually checked it wasn't touching anything. Don't know about A3000 space considerations.
Old 22 March 2007, 19:18   #27
mabus
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by keropi
Thanks I am an idiot who should've RTFM !
Old 22 March 2007, 19:54   #28
keropi

lol, I did ask the same Q back then! LOL
Old 22 March 2007, 21:08   #29
mabus
Zone Friend

Quote:
Hmmm, the burning ? You gotta be careful with the Picasso IV in an A4000D. I had to change the memory chips on the motherboard to shorter/thinner ones to prevent the card from scraping them and then visually checked it wasn't touching anything. Don't know about A3000 space considerations.
Thanks for your advice! The A3000D gfx slot is all the way at the top of the riser card so there isn't a problem with space normally. I have about two slots space between the PIV and the next card.