English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 24 October 2008, 10:59   #1
Rixa

What to replace a dead power source with?

It seems that the power source I used with my A1200 has died. Apparently it was an A600 power source .. a heavy brick, smaller than a A500 power source.

During the past month I flicked the switch a couple of times to notice that nothing happens, then measured the 5V voltage to be missing from the connector. After a while it magically started working again. This happened a couple of times more and the other day I lost power for the first time while the computer was on. This still fixed itself but happened again yesterday and today, and it doesn't look much like its recovering this time. Does this sound like a natural death for a PSU, or should I be worried that something broke it?

What should I get for a replacement? It will need to drive a 030+882@50, 64Mb of memory, Indivision AGA, a PCMCIA network card, Cocolino mouse adapter, CompactFlash card both internal and in the PCMCIA, and the floppy drive. I'm not planning on extra hard drives, cd-rom drive or disk drives right now, but the more readiness the better of course.

Seeing that this one died on me (The PSU says it can drive 3A at 5V), I'm concerned a replacement of equal or lower ratings will suffer the same fate before long. A PC power source is only an option if there is a ready and affordable solution for casing it in a pretty fashion.
Old 24 October 2008, 12:56   #2
tonyyeb
Has the Amiga bug again

Send a message via MSN to tonyyeb
Get an ATX to Amiga convertor cable from Ultra Reliable on Amibay and use what ever PC ATX PSU you want. A little messy unless you tidy it up with a nice case for it but should do the trick.
Old 24 October 2008, 18:49   #3
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
Looks like a bad solder joint or the +5V from the PSU is broken inside the insulation.

But much better is hack an AT/ATX PSU instead the under powered original brick.
Old 24 October 2008, 19:25   #4
meega

I have a late-model A500 PSU for my A1200. It gives 4.5A of 5V (with 1.0A of 12V, 0.1A of -12V) which is a useful bit more than some other Amiga PSUs. I think one of those could cope with your machine.
Old 24 October 2008, 23:22   #5
TheCorfiot
Amibay Senior Staff

I agree Meega's 4.5 Amp @ +5V PSU will probably be fine (unless you up to an 040 or add anything else)

I use a similar PSU with my Restored A1200 with 030 & Indivision...Simply because it was available but If I had to source from new I would have gone down the PC PSU route, View it as future proofing & being kinder to your Miggy.

TC