English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 14 March 2005, 16:36   #1
hardwir3d
Zone Friend

Roll eyes (sarcastic) garbage video output on 1200

hi,

ive got a 1200 w/ a 3'5" harddrive fitted. due to a lack of space in my appartment, i moved my monitor to the basement and hooked up my amiga to my tv.

however, video output on both composite and RF is messed up. there's somekind of interference or whatever. the picture's distortion isn't 'random', its gotta pattern.

considering part of the amiga motherboard's 'shielding' (sorry, i dont know the english word for this) is missing (and the guy who did surgery on this amiga added lots of somesort of thick silver coloured tape) becos of the extra space the 3"5 drive occupies, could this problem be caused by radio-interference or whatever?

i bought a second a1200 about 2 years ago, and it came with an RGB-2-scart cable, i've also tried that cable on my tv since RGB output is fine, but my tv only shows a white image when i use that cable.

is there anyone here who knows what might be wrong w/ one of my machines? i really hope this can be fixed, the picture quality on my 100hz super digi scan 82 cm panasonic is so poor its even hard to read the text on the screen.
Old 14 March 2005, 16:55   #2
ant512

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwir3d
hi,

ive got a 1200 w/ a 3'5" harddrive fitted. due to a lack of space in my appartment, i moved my monitor to the basement and hooked up my amiga to my tv.
I'd suggest replacing your 3 foot hard drive with something a little more manageable. No wonder you haven't got any space in your appartment!

But anyway. The problem you've got is caused by one of two things. Firstly, it could be that the hard drive itself is interfering with the Amiga's video signal, in which case there's nothing you can do about it short of replacing the drive with a 2.5" laptop disk. Secondly, it could be that you need to fiddle about with the 1200's RF unit (assuming the NTSC 1200s are the same as the PAL units, that is). If you look on the back of the 1200, you'll see that there's a small switch and a screw next to the RF output. Try fiddling with both of these, remembering not to tighten or loosen the screw too much. That might improve your picture.

For both machines, you could just try the composite connector and see if that helps.
Old 15 March 2005, 12:11   #3
hardwir3d
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant512
I'd suggest replacing your 3 foot hard drive with something a little more manageable. No wonder you haven't got any space in your appartment!
lol
Quote:
But anyway. The problem you've got is caused by one of two things. Firstly, it could be that the hard drive itself is interfering with the Amiga's video signal, in which case there's nothing you can do about it short of replacing the drive with a 2.5" laptop disk.
Yeah, already thought that's the problem maybe i should check some auction or second-hand sites then.
Quote:
Try fiddling with both of these, remembering not to tighten or loosen the screw too much. That might improve your picture.
i dont think that will help, composite output gives exactly the same kind of distortion. guess i should get rid of the 3.5 drive in case no1 comes up with an easier solution.