English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 18 September 2016, 22:12   #1
tgotr

Intermintant Joystick port

I have a joystick port that isn't working 100% using the mouse works fine but it doesn't always register clicks. Joysticks are the main trouble. Atari 2600 sticks, Master System and Genesis pads have all sorts of issues. Atari 2600 sticks just don't work and Master System/Genesis pads just have all sorts of issues from movements not registering, to the wrong movement entirely.

Strangely enough, the keyboard has a bug, The Y and Z keys are reversed.

I have tested the Master System and Genesis pads and found them working, same with the Atari stick. Since I don't have a second Amiga, I tore down the mouse and tested the button with a voltage tester, and found that to be working.

Could it be the CIA chips? I haven't swapped them around to check that yet. I do have sound, and it's pretty clear.

The system is an A500 Rev 5 NTSC machine.

Old 19 September 2016, 06:23   #2
modrobert
old bearded fool

If behavior changes when swapping CIA chips, then you've most likely found the cause.

If the problem remains the same after swap, then check motherboard for capacitor leakage, maybe some of the traces towards the joystick port are damaged.

The Y and Z key problem sounds familiar, German keyboard?
Old 19 September 2016, 09:58   #3
Daedalus

Or German keymap on a UK or US keyboard. If it's kickstart 1.x (standard on an A500), check the startup-sequence for a setmap command, something like

Setmap D

and change it to Setmap GB or Setmap USA1.

As for the joystick ports, others mostly have it covered. What might also happen is that one or more pins in the port itself have been pushed back into the connector and so don't make proper contact. If the issues were fire button only I would say it could be the CIAs, but the directions and right mouse button are handled by Paula, not the CIAs so either you have a different issue, or two separate issues... Personally I'd bet on a PCB issue - damaged tracks or some sort of short.
Old 20 September 2016, 01:20   #4
tgotr

Well could not find a setmap command. The Amiga is running 1.3 since it only has a 1.2 kickstart.

Now the mouse is working fine, every click registers, but still can't get game pads to work.

Old 20 September 2016, 09:52   #5
Daedalus

Hmmm, that's strange then. It's so long since I used 1.x I can't remember: is there a keyboard setting in the preferences? I don't think it does, so it's probably only the Setmap command...

Strange about the mouse and pads since they use exactly the same input signals. It makes me suspect the connector even more, perhaps some damage to the connector's solder joints or something. I take it you didn't change anything else?
Old 20 September 2016, 11:27   #6
idrougge

Do you get ÖÄÜ if you press the keys next to the return key?
Old 20 September 2016, 12:00   #7
zipper

Setmap is at least part of 1.3 (my Amiga Forever install). Should be Sys:System/Setmap. (checked a 1.3 Workbench adf).