English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 09 November 2010, 17:01   #341
Calabazam

Dear Jens, could you explain a bit about the installation of the A600 expansion? I have read it will have to be performed by an authorized dealer, is that true?
Old 09 November 2010, 18:22   #342
RMK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoenfeld View Post
The 56MHz version will be later than the 28MHz version, and I can't tell if we'll make it before Xmas. The faster CPU interface is a whole new development - even if the card looks the same, the contents of the CPLD are substantially different. This development is a lot more difficult than the slower versions, so I can't give a firm release date for the faster version.

Jens
Jens,

Just to confirm. Is the 56MHz version definatley going to be produced for sale?

Thanks.
Old 09 November 2010, 19:13   #343
chiark
Needs a life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calabazam View Post
Dear Jens, could you explain a bit about the installation of the A600 expansion? I have read it will have to be performed by an authorized dealer, is that true?
I'm not Jens, obviously, but Jens has said this will only be sold by dealers with the capability to fix SMT 68000s.

Reasoning is that the accelerator sits on top of the 68k, which is never going to be the greatest ever connection IMHO, and small cracks in the mounting of the processor could make the accelerator appear faulty....
Old 09 November 2010, 23:23   #344
Acid

Im currently selling an 030 if anyone is interested: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...STRK:MESELX:IT

Old 09 November 2010, 23:53   #345
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

I got a feeling a lot of people will be doing the same before the price drops out of the market for them.
Old 10 November 2010, 00:01   #346
amigakit.com

But once we run out of the new accelerators, the second hand auctions prices will inevitably double or maybe treble as we have seen with other products we were selling a year ago...

The only way we can keep the prices from rising is by funding new hardware production runs such as ZorRAM.
Old 10 November 2010, 01:07   #347
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

You may be right. I had imagined that the numbers of 1230 cards being offered up for sale were considerably higher than say... scan doubler cards like the Indivision AGA 1200. They are in demand by more and more users due to the introduction of LCD monitors.

I was under the impression (having monitored eBay) that there was a reasonable supply of second hand 030 cards? There are 2-3 per week on UK ebay. I was thinking that supply was just slightly lower than demand, enough to push the prices up a little bit year on year. But I could be wrong... the 1230 price rises over the years may have been artificially increasing by the sellers need to recoup the cost of their 1260 cards which have spiralled in cost because it is the ultimate goal of any A1200 owner?

Just my feelings... possibly way off base?

I'm wondering if this new supply of A1200 accelerators will be eaten up by Amiga owners who do not have an accelerator? Or if it will be by those who want one for their 2nd, backup, A1200? Those which (until now) have remained in their vanilla state due to 1230's being slightly outside the impulse buy amount?

Last edited by alexh; 10 November 2010 at 01:16.
Old 10 November 2010, 01:19   #348
zgermans

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigakit.com View Post
But once we run out of the new accelerators, the second hand auctions prices will inevitably double or maybe treble as we have seen with other products we were selling a year ago...

The only way we can keep the prices from rising is by funding new hardware production runs such as ZorRAM.
Seeing as you run a business, and Jens runs a business, couldn't we expect you to churn out accelerators as long as there is sufficient demand (i.e. willingness to pay) for you to cover the costs and turn a profit?

@ Jens: With the crazy prices we're seeing for accelerators on ebay, couldn't several production runs be viable?
Old 10 November 2010, 02:10   #349
tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgermans View Post
@ Jens: With the crazy prices we're seeing for accelerators on ebay, couldn't several production runs be viable?
Or as Alan Sugar teaches us, a single flaming great production run, which should hopefully help the price still further!
Old 10 November 2010, 07:21   #350
Tarzin

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiark View Post
but Jens has said this will only be sold by dealers with the capability to fix SMT 68000s..
Hope, that a solution will be found with French Dealers for French users!
(Voxel Amiga Shop ? Relec? other ?)
Old 10 November 2010, 12:37   #351
amigakit.com

@zgermans

It all comes down to finance. As we sell items to the Amiga Community, we generate revenue which then goes straight back into financing our next Amiga projects, so we are limited financially by the revenues coming in.

@Tarzin

We have invested in SMT equipment and have employed a full time Technician to do these type of jobs. In France, you only have Amiga Center France which has this equipment/skills/experience as well. I don't think currently there are any French Amiga full-time dealers which directly provide this service?
Old 10 November 2010, 14:22   #352
Cosmos
Banned

>you only have Amiga Center France which has this equipment/skills/experience as well

Thanks you very much AmigaKit
Old 10 November 2010, 15:32   #353
amigakit.com

@Cosmos

The statement was made in respect to the context of this thread. I was not commenting on your private skills and abilities to repair Amiga hardware.

You are not an Amiga business - Individual Computers are referring to registered companies selling the new accelerator who can also provide SMT rework as part of their service proposition to their customers once they purchase the A600 accelerator.

Resellers need to provide the full after-sales support to customers in lieu of their margin they make from selling Individual Computers products and having the facilities and technical skills within the business is part of that.
Old 10 November 2010, 15:54   #354
Paul_s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmos View Post
>you only have Amiga Center France which has this equipment/skills/experience as well

Thanks you very much AmigaKit
You are our french baguette of Amiga SMD lovers

Maybe there will be some form of 'kit' you can buy - Amigakit or dealer 'tests' the accelerator before shipping out etc.

Maybe FOL could do a home visit and assess the user - like the RSPCA does when rehoming animals?

User: Paul_s
Hardware Applied for: A1200 Accelerator
IQ: 12
SMD Work quality: no experience
Soldering Iron experience: some
Soldering Iron competence: OK, thinks soldering iron is like GHD hair roller?
Amiga Lover Extreme?: Yes!
Qualify for kit?: fcuk no

Last edited by Paul_s; 10 November 2010 at 16:00.
Old 10 November 2010, 16:20   #355
Schoenfeld
electricky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK View Post
Jens,

Just to confirm. Is the 56MHz version definatley going to be produced for sale?
Why else would I announce it here? It will take a while until we have finished the register interface for the ACAtune tool - that's what's holding the unit back at the moment. Also, the supply of 50MHz CPUs is limited. No release date until "it's done". The hardware basis is the same as for the 28 MHz version.

Jens
Old 10 November 2010, 17:14   #356
Schoenfeld
electricky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calabazam View Post
You can install the unit yourself, but it requires some technical skills.

And yes, the reseller should be able to fix a defective SMD Amiga, because there's a common defect where the CPU has micro-cracks on the solder joints. If the accelerator is installed, it appears that the whole computer doesn't work, and if you remove the accelerator, the CPU pin bends back into place and the computer is back in a working condition. If this is the case, then the reseller should be able to say "please send back the accelerator and your mainboard, we'll fix the fault".

If you want to see how it's installed, check page 3 of this thread. I'll post pictures of the final version sometime tonight. For now, here's a picture of the final ACA1230-28.

Jens
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	T1230-28_white_conn.jpg
Views:	892
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	26943  
Old 10 November 2010, 17:23   #357
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoenfeld View Post
If you want to see how it's installed, check page 3 of this thread. I'll post pictures of the final version sometime tonight. For now, here's a picture of the final ACA1230-28.

Jens
Cute little card, I like it

Its been said but it really is great that there are still developers supporting our beloved Amiga's

Keep up the great work.

Steve.
Old 10 November 2010, 17:30   #358
vidarh

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzsteve View Post
Cute little card, I like it
I don't even have a classic at the moment (just a Minimig) and I still keep checking out this thread for all the geek
Old 10 November 2010, 17:39   #359
amigakit.com

Good News! We have now added ACA 1230/28 Accelerator to the webstore here:

http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...oducts_id=1002
Old 10 November 2010, 17:45   #360
Amigaman

aww what an ickle cutie! I want one!!!