English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.ClassicWB

Old 04 August 2003, 22:47   #21
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
I kept my A500 stock (well with a stock 512k ram upgrade) so I can play the old games. I will be loading this classic WB on my A1200 030 this week to try it out.
Old 04 August 2003, 23:49   #22
Bloodwych

Syko, yeah I'm afraid I used 020 and higher libs and no AGA means no copper background.

I developed this for my A1200 and then public versions followed.

EDIT: Just been checking out if I could replace the 020 libs but ScalOS min requirement is a 68020 so I'm afraid it's definitely no to 68000 support.

The WBlite will work with minimal changes on your A500+ machine (that can be done in WinUAE).

Last edited by Bloodwych; 05 August 2003 at 15:40.
Old 05 August 2003, 13:17   #23
Syko
Now got GSX750F :))

Yea I knew scalos would have to go although I remember a damn nice cooper routine off on of the mags years ago that would do a 4096 background on OCS.

And I was funnin ya about the A4000/OS3.9 - wouldn't change back for anything. Sorry

Don't stop cranking WB3.1 till it skweeks though, it looks bootiful!

Quote:
I kept my A500 stock (well with a stock 512k ram upgrade)
Nope, the A500 has the ATonce+ PC board in it, so that's not std either but I can switch the GVP off with the 'game' switch. Too be honest ther's not much I've tried that wont work at all with it. Just a shame the ATonce was one of them...

Last edited by Syko; 05 August 2003 at 13:25.
Old 06 August 2003, 17:25   #24
Phiber
Hardware Freak

Send a message via MSN to Phiber
Hmh.. I'd still like to see a WB 3.1 TV-resolution setup for my stock A600... :hoo
Old 06 August 2003, 23:24   #25
Bloodwych

Quote:
Originally posted by Phiber
Hmh.. I'd still like to see a WB 3.1 TV-resolution setup for my stock A600... :hoo
Paul the green Amiga Alien did a WB 2.0 one and Akira started but didn't finish!

I'm afraid that I have no interest in doing a WB 3.0 setup for an A600 because I don't own one! Plus, like already mentioned, ScalOS (used in the FULL and ADV versions) needs a 68020.

Since I've used 68020 libs/progs from the start of these WB setups for my A1200, I'd have to begin again in order to build a 3.0 workbench for A600's, which as you can appreciate is a rare hardware setup.

All I can suggest is either try Paul's WB 2.0 setup, or download the ClassicWB LITE install it and replace the 68020 specific programs like Virus EX and libs plus one or two others hanging around in the c directory. You'll know when you hit an 020 specific prog due to a software failure. It will still save you a lot of time in comparison to starting from scratch, or if run in WinUAE will simply give you an idea of what to download off Aminet in ordere to build your own.
Old 07 August 2003, 12:03   #26
Bloodwych

ClassicWB service announcement
------------------------------------------

Just a quick note for those of you using the ClassicWB FULL or ADV.

Note 1
--------

I've just noticed that visage (the picture viewing program) selects screen modes for jpgs, bmps, gifs ect based upon what monitors you have in the devs/monitors drawer.

Since I have a multisync, I'd left various monitors in the devs/monitors drawer that may be incompatible with your VDU. If visage selects an unsupported screenmode for a pic, it won't look good. In fact, you won't see anything at all!

So if you're not going to use high res screen modes like dbl PAL/NTSC, Productivity then remove all monitors except PAL/NTSC from the devs/monitors drawer to the storage/monitors drawer. Visage will then work fine.

Note 2
--------

Copper Demon, the program used to create the lovely colour gradient backgrounds, can create a few compatibility issues which is one of the reasons why it's offered as an addon pack rather than being included in the basic installs.

Since Copper Demon is a commodity (as seen in the WB3 "exchange" program) running in ScalOS, it won't allow screenmodes to be altered or the workbench to be shut down without exiting it first. That's why I've included its icon in the bottom right hand corner. Before changing Workbench screenmodes (public screens (ie brand new screens) opened by programs are unaffected) please exit copper demon to avoid errors. One of these errors may be display positioning problems when stepping up from PAL/NTSC modes to productivity/DBL- PAL/NTSC. In order to confirm this I'll need to do some testing on my A1200 in the near future.

In rare instances, some programs like Dpaint and the game Settlers have the option of temporarily shutting down workbench in order to save resources for their operation. This is not possible when Copper Demon is running so be aware of this if you require every last bit of RAM.

Note 3
--------

Due to the extra eye candy and higher resolution, the ADV version may not have enough chipram available to run certain AGA specific games. Users with only 2MB RAM and no fast will also face this problem. If this is the case, then reset the Amiga and hold both mouse buttons. From the startup menu that appears, select "Boot with no Startup-Sequence". This will take you to a CLI prompt. From here you can launch the game with full resources by first changing the prompt to the games directory (use "cd") and then finding the executable file with "dir" command. If a game requires an Icon to launch, use the command "WBRUN" before the games executable.

End of service announcement
-------------------------------------

All these issues will be fixed/addressed at some point down the line, including updated "readmes".

Last edited by Bloodwych; 08 August 2003 at 16:04.
Old 08 August 2003, 15:41   #27
Bloodwych

^^^^^ Just added an extra note above for ClassicWB ADV users and those facing low chipram. All of this will be included in the updated readmes.

It is possible to create a double startup-sequence where the mouse button(s) can be used to select a normal Workbench and a less memory intensive one. It causes many complications however, including problems with the ClassicWB install procedure. The ClassicWB FULL uses so little chipram this feature isn't worth adding. The ClassicWB ADV has enough chipram for the vast majority of programs and the very few that are affected can be run easily from CLI using the method described in note 3.

Mouse startup progs include "mouse.lha" and "getmouseinput.lha" from Aminet.

Other options apart from multiple startups are various utilities off Aminet. These can be used to create a RAD: drive in workbench then reset the Amiga and run the game. If you're interested take a look here.

Examples are "Max_Reset_V1.5.lha", "ResetRun2.lha", "ResRun_V1.0.lha" and "ResRunV1_1.lha".

Last edited by Bloodwych; 08 August 2003 at 16:24.
Old 08 August 2003, 18:52   #28
Bloodwych

Another tip, yeah I've been updating the Tips & FAQ!

At the start of the s/user-startup file, assigns were added so common folders could be accessed and referred to easily in file requesters, programs, CLI and ScalOS scripts. They are in the format "A-x", where "x" is the folder name. The prefix "A-" was added so they appear at the top of file requesters.

If any of these folders differ in location (eg "Games" folder is on DH1: not DH0: ) then feel free to edit these assigns. Once edited, the popup menus will also be updated with the new location of a given folder as well as file requesters.

Last edited by Bloodwych; 08 August 2003 at 20:16.
Old 09 August 2003, 01:20   #29
Amiga1992

Be on the lookout for my Workbench setup, available for your 2.0 amigas, sometime in the near future .

I promised oince I would do it and I still want to,m but it's been ages since I last connected my A600. will start it up soon
Old 09 August 2003, 03:34   #30
MethodGit

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira
Be on the lookout for my Workbench setup, available for your 2.0 amigas, sometime in the near future .

I promised oince I would do it and I still want to,m but it's been ages since I last connected my A600. will start it up soon
OHO! Sounds like competition for Bloodwych to moi....
Old 09 August 2003, 06:36   #31
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally posted by MethodGit
OHO! Sounds like competition for Bloodwych to moi....
No, mine will run on 1MB (probably 2MB) ECS 2.0 Amigas

Bloodwych's for 1200s
Old 11 October 2003, 17:07   #32
Bloodwych

Since so many people seem to install the “bloatware free” Classic workbench then ruin it by placing os hack newicons over the top, I decided to play around with the idea of doing a newicon classic wb (of course the wb isn't exactly classic anymore once I change the way it handles icons.).

Anyway, it ended up like this and as I thought it kills performance on 020s (not sure about 030s) and eats chipram for breakfast. Plus for the icons to look nice you have to run 64 colour screenmode. Hmmmm.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	classicwb newicons.jpg
Views:	923
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	6044  
Old 11 October 2003, 17:35   #33
Bloodwych

......and the copper version.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	classicwb newicon copper 2.jpg
Views:	826
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	6046  

Last edited by Bloodwych; 11 October 2003 at 17:43.
Old 11 October 2003, 18:08   #34
rattus

erk...

I honestly don't think that all those newicon sets floating around are worth it (they just make the workbench look like windows most of the time!)

Bring back the *CLASSIC* Workbench!

The only time I use newicons are for the pretty game-specific icons for WHD/JST installs; run fine in 16/32 color screenmode on an 030 (although they do look a bit stretched in PAL resolution - I would like to resize them myself but I can never be bothered)
Old 11 October 2003, 18:11   #35
fisken uno
Zone Friend

Agreed, these Newicons does NOT make the Classicwb look better. The look of it is as good as it needs to be.
Old 11 October 2003, 19:03   #36
yadster

Quote:
Originally posted by Bloodwych
Anyway, it ended up like this and as I thought it kills performance on 020s (not sure about 030s) and eats chipram for breakfast. Plus for the icons to look nice you have to run 64 colour screenmode. Hmmmm.
Agreed but thank god for the utility Fblit - but was unable to get it to run with Scalos
Old 13 October 2003, 13:43   #37
Bloodwych

Thanks for the input peeps - I won't bother finishing the newicon versions then. I guess it starts looking too much like os 3.9.

In fact as you'll see below, I'm not big on workbench eye candy! All I want is something powerful but runs everything (including all AGA games) from workbench and will work on TVsets, so my setup on my A1200 is basic as can be, but classic.

And as for game icons. You really should start making your own and here is a quick guide to pictureicon:

1. Load your game in winuae. Press the "printscreen" button on your PC keyboard when you see something you want to make an icon for.

2. Load up a paint prgram and "paste" the image. Save the image as a jpg (or other pictureicon friendly format).

3. Load up the ClassicWB in WinUAE and select "Pictureicon", as shown below.

4. Find the image saved in 2, and drag it onto the picticon.

5. Wait a few seconds and hey presto, a lovely game icon.

6. Change the settings to suit your needs. The icon shown below uses 8 colours only! You can force the magicwb palette as well although the icons do look a little bland.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image5.png
Views:	641
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	6050  

Last edited by Bloodwych; 13 October 2003 at 14:01.
Old 13 October 2003, 16:28   #38
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

I would not want to go back to OS3.0, I like OS3.9 far too much, and I can still run WBVerlauf too :-)

I suggest an OS3.9 version, that would be cool...
Old 13 October 2003, 16:55   #39
fisken uno
Zone Friend

Personally I prefer speed to "good looks". There's nothing wrong with 3.0 looks as long as wb is equally powerful and useful. If you want 3.9 looks, install 3.9!!
Old 14 October 2003, 22:20   #40
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Hmmm, point taken, but why OS3.0 and not for example OS3.1? IIRC OS3.1 is slightly faster than OS3.0 for some things...?