Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hall Of Light > HOL data problems

Old 28 January 2003, 10:44   #21
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Heh... Try asking these guys too.
http://www.vgmuseum.com/
Old 28 January 2003, 10:50   #22
Walker

RCK will solve the problem, but it will probably take a couple of days to code. We'll be back!
Old 28 January 2003, 19:01   #23
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Quote:
Originally posted by Frederic
I don't agree, Code and Solid. That would limit HOL to 600 people.
If you re-read my post I said Just to begin with.

Of course that would not be a long-time solution but would at least enable the people here to continue to lookup HOL entries and maintain the database while the proper protection is coded. Or do you prefer to look at a screen saying that the site is closed Fred?!
Old 28 January 2003, 19:07   #24
RetroMan

I have to agree with Codetapper here Would be a good idea to use EAB Login for viewing HOL so at least the people that deserve it can view and use HOL untill the protection is fully working !!

How can there be such dumbass people
Old 28 January 2003, 20:20   #25
oldpx

I thought about leeching the contents of HOL before the public opening, but after seeing how big it was, I gave up for the sake of bandwidth others may need. However, there is a problem. People would like to view HOL offline and only solution to this problem is to provide a downloadable offline version of HOL. This package might include game information and only the double barrel screenshots, and links to the online page of the game. And that links might be scripted against bots.Preventing access in not a solution for HOL exists because people demand it, people including all of us, and the need of an offline HOL is just the extension of this demand. Limiting HOL access to eab members will increase the number of zero posters and nothing else.

Old 28 January 2003, 20:36   #26
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Quote:
Originally posted by Codetapper
If you re-read my post I said Just to begin with.

Oops. My bad. I apologize.
It's a shame. Greed and selfishness. I sent off an e mail to the admin. at Legacy. I am waiting for a reply.
Old 28 January 2003, 20:38   #27
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Quote:
Originally posted by Burseg
I thought about leeching the contents of HOL before the public opening, but after seeing how big it was, I gave up for the sake of bandwidth others may need. However, there is a problem. People would like to view HOL offline and only solution to this problem is to provide a downloadable offline version of HOL. This package might include game information and only the double barrel screenshots, and links to the online page of the game. And that links might be scripted against bots.Preventing access in not a solution for HOL exists because people demand it, people including all of us, and the need of an offline HOL is just the extension of this demand. Limiting HOL access to eab members will increase the number of zero posters and nothing else.
I agree. The Genesis Project is similar in thinking.
Old 28 January 2003, 21:45   #28
Incomparabile

Send a message via ICQ to Incomparabile Send a message via MSN to Incomparabile Send a message via Yahoo to Incomparabile
:'(
Old 29 January 2003, 09:11   #29
RCK
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Burseg
There will be one offline version of it, but not now because a lot of data are still missing, and I don't want to release one offline version every week, it will be worse than leechers

the HOL will be online soon, let me find the time to finish code.
Old 29 January 2003, 11:55   #30
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

More victims

http://www.nesworld.com/

I quote from the news of NES World:

THANK YOU!
26. JANUARY 2003 - 22:05 CET
I would like to thank the moron who decided to leech all 312 megabytes of NES WORLD with Go!Zilla yesterday between 11:00 PST and 15:30 PST. A big round thank you for sucking the entire 256kb limit for 4½ hours. I'm gonna look into, along with Jeremy who runs and owns the parodius network, how we can avoid this in the future, if no solution can be found then NES WORLD is dead... SO FUCKING DEAD, cause I can't pay a US$2000-3000 bill the ISP might throw at Parodius, I've got bills way over my head these months and sofar Jeremy has been kind enough not to charge me but instead pay the whole parodius bill himself.
Oh yeah, to whoever did it... your IP was logged.
Old 29 January 2003, 13:14   #31
Tim Janssen

Unhappy About leeching...

This leeching is a very sad story indeed. Although I admit I have used some double-barreled screenshots of HoL on my homepage (they will be replaced by my own screenshots as soon my PC is repaired somewhere this decade - promised), I cannot forgive single individuals ruining a website by leeching it. Most of these sites have lots of time and effort put in it.

The last time I was really hurt by a site being shut down was with Def guide to Zzap.
It offered almost 100 issues of Zzap online with every single page scanned. Of course, some leechers decided to download the whole site (which took up hundreds of Mb) so the site pulled the plug and is now HTML only.
Old 29 January 2003, 13:48   #32
oldpx

Quote:
There will be one offline version of it, but not now because a lot of data are still missing, and I don't want to release one offline version every week, it will be worse than leechers
Of course it wouldn't be meaningful before the completion of the database.

Can't you simply cap the maximum bandwidth people can use? You can do this in FTP.

Quote:
....how we can avoid this in the future, if no solution can be found then NES WORLD is dead... SO FUCKING DEAD,
yeah, YEAAAHHH!!!!

Old 29 January 2003, 16:40   #33
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Tim - there is no problem with using some of the HOL Double Barrel Screens on your website.

Just say where the screens came from when you link to the HOL!
Old 29 January 2003, 16:52   #34
Tim Janssen

Arrow Reworkings of screenshots

@Cody,

What I often do is downloading a doublebarrel-screenshot, resize the ingame-screenshot to 320x200 pixels and convert the game-logo to a special picture.

Take a look at the Mafdet and Ninja Spirit reviews which feature reworkings of the doublebarrel-screenshots leeched from HoL.
Old 29 January 2003, 16:56   #35
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Unhappy

@Tim. I hadn't visited that Zzap 64 site in ages until a few days ago & totally agree with you, a terrible loss of all that great work, not to mention access to priceless cheats, interviews,diary's etc.

Excuse my ignorance on the whole mega-bandwidth abuse situation, but isn't there anyway to find out who's the idiot responsible?
Old 29 January 2003, 18:44   #36
Traquer

If you have his IP, you can contact his ISP and log a complaint.
If what he did was illegal, you can find his details and take him to court. If it is just him being a prick you can put your case to his ISP and they may disable his account.

Old 29 January 2003, 19:24   #37
oldpx

Huh? In which country is this possible??

Old 29 January 2003, 21:17   #38
Traquer

Any country afaik

Old 29 January 2003, 22:51   #39
oldpx

That's an utopia

Old 29 January 2003, 23:03   #40
Drake1009

That is it should be possible but in reality it isn't unless you got a court order.