English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 18 June 2012, 22:31   #1
aybe

Is it possible to copy contents of an Amiga floppy disk to a (Windows) folder ?

Whenever I mount this floppy under Workbench 3.1, I see it labelled DF0:NDOS.
When I click it, I get : The icon(s) have no default tool

Both floppies are indeed correct, I can play the game properly.

I tried ADFExtract too but it doesn't recognize them.

Why do I need this ?
I am working on a remake of the game, I need game's files in order to get started.

Thanks !!!
Old 18 June 2012, 22:39   #2
diablothe2nd

I do believe this is a form of copy protection. Some disks have custom sectors/ways of data to prevent people from doing exactly what you are trying to do, as in look at the files and use the for other means.

try using a cracked version? failing that i'm sure someone here with knowledge on disk protection will be able to help you.
Old 18 June 2012, 23:28   #3
aybe

It is a cracked one actually.

Yes, hopefully.

There's something else I wanted to look at but couldn't make it work, yet : WHDLoad images.
Old 19 June 2012, 02:42   #4
orange

its probably 'protection'. because games don't really need filesystem to work. remember ZX and C64? filesystem takes some precious space for itself.
Old 19 June 2012, 20:10   #5
mr.vince
Cheesy crust

Custom loader. Even if not protected, the game has no DOS part, e.g. no root block with directory on track 40. Read track 0, sectors 0+1, start disassembling at offset $0C, and there should be something to start with.
Old 20 June 2012, 22:46   #6
aybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange View Post
its probably 'protection'. because games don't really need filesystem to work. remember ZX and C64? filesystem takes some precious space for itself.
Sorry but I didn't have these machines at the time but yes, with this issue I remember now there was some 'custom' stuff on these 'micro' computers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.vince View Post
Custom loader. Even if not protected, the game has no DOS part, e.g. no root block with directory on track 40. Read track 0, sectors 0+1, start disassembling at offset $0C, and there should be something to start with.
Ok, what tools should I use for disassembling this ? (an absolute newbie in Amiga)

Thank you.

Last edited by prowler; 20 June 2012 at 22:53. Reason: Back-to-back posts mrged; please use multi-quote.
Old 22 June 2012, 20:25   #7
mr.vince
Cheesy crust

Ouch. Try WinUAE with A500 config. I use Action replay 3 for such things.

RT 0 2 40000

d 4000c

Should get you started. Have an empty disk image ready to save memory to, then extract data with ADF plugin for TotalCommander.

I assume there is another loader, maybe with a file table, waiting for you. Data may be crunched as well.
Old 23 June 2012, 02:17   #8
aybe

Quote:

RT 0 2 40000

d 4000c

Should get you started. Have an empty disk image ready to save memory to, then extract data with ADF plugin for TotalCommander.

I assume there is another loader, maybe with a file table, waiting for you. Data may be crunched as well.
Great, I'll give it a try and tell you how it went.

Thanks !!!
Old 23 June 2012, 02:57   #9
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

What game is this? If you're a newbie I'd say disassembling and extracting the files will be a tough job...
Old 23 June 2012, 04:27   #10
aybe

Totally ... Game in question is Zool.

Been looking at a WinUAE RAM Dump, to CD32 files, pretty much same content and this unknown graphical format, which led me to bitplanes ... Onto coding something but not much success yet. I am replying from my phone, if you want I'll give more details when at my desk.
Old 23 June 2012, 09:16   #11
rampartsagain

if shows df0:ndos is a protected disk ,if not you should be able to have a pc drawer with the full contents and copy directly through cf card adapter to amiga pcmcia the best way is try to find a cracked one
Old 24 June 2012, 00:59   #12
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

original Zool disk format was MFM protected. All versions of Zool that were cracked were sector loading non dos, i.e. its still an AmigaDOS formatted disk, but doesn't comply with AmigaDOS file structures.
Old 24 June 2012, 01:10   #13
aybe

Alright, thanks all for your help;

I think I'll give it a try (dump floppies), if not I'll probably dump it the hard way ... captures.

Okay, I keep in touch within the next days !
Old 24 June 2012, 01:46   #14
DeafDaz
Deafdaz

While on th subject If I mount a PC folder as a disk and format it. will I have the same amount of space as a floppy I.E. 880kb? or can i stor more files?
Old 24 June 2012, 12:10   #15
mr.vince
Cheesy crust

If you mount a folder as a disk (not even sure if it's there), you have 880kb of course. Mount a folder as a hard drive instead.

If someone was to extract the loader, I am sure there's a file table the game uses.
Old 24 June 2012, 21:53   #16
aybe

Quote:

RT 0 2 40000

d 4000c

It worked until step 2 (d 4000c), as soon as I press Enter, an assembler instruction is shown, if I press Enter it executes (apparently) the next one.
I looked at the floppy, there is 'DOS' written everywhere on the floppy, sometimes with garbage between the letters.

Can you tell what I missed on your instructions ?

Thanks
Old 24 June 2012, 22:56   #17
aybe

I think there's no more need to do this, I just successfully extracted all the files !!!
Thanks to UAE XFD wrapper (beta)
The files are still in an 'unknown' format but they are decrunched !!!

For those interested here's what I did :
(initially I've been looking at the files through an hex editor and I found *FUNGUS* written on each at the end,
not much on the web about it except here Overview of used IDs for crunched files
until after a long search I found that xfd library had a FUNGUS file, finally I discovered UAE XFD wrapper)
- Download UAE XFD wrapper (beta) and unzip in C:\Program Files (x86)\WinUAE
- Copy files to decrunch to C:\Program Files (x86)\WinUAE (in my case CHMs from Zool CD32)
- Run a command line as an admin and CD to that folder,
- Paste this on your command line : forfiles /m *.chm /c "cmd /c xfduae.exe @file @file.out"
(change *.chm extension to what you need, optionally change @file.out extension as you wish, also there's extra help for using forfiles /?)
Not working for now...
- Why copy to this folder and run as admin ? so you won't have to change the configuration that xfduae.exe will use.

Now onto deciphering all this !!!

UPDATE :

- while trying again under win8x64 it didn't work right until uaexfd.zip was put in C:\Users\Public\Documents\Amiga Files\WinUAE
- and not sure if that had to be done the first time but when program is started it seems hanged, pressing enter will make it continue and process each file
- last one might need a ctrl-c

Last edited by aybe; 17 December 2013 at 23:02.
Old 25 June 2012, 00:06   #18
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by aybe View Post
I think there's no more need to do this, I just successfully extracted all the files !!!
Thanks to UAE XFD wrapper (beta)
The files are still in an 'unknown' format but they are decrunched !!!

For those interested here's what I did :
(initially I've been looking at the files through an hex editor and I found *FUNGUS* written on each at the end,
not much on the web about it except here Overview of used IDs for crunched files
until after a long search I found that xfd library had a FUNGUS file, finally I discovered UAE XFD wrapper)
- Download UAE XFD wrapper (beta) and unzip in C:\Program Files (x86)\WinUAE
- Copy files to decrunch to C:\Program Files (x86)\WinUAE (in my case CHMs from Zool CD32)
- Run a command line as an admin and CD to that folder,
- Paste this on your command line : forfiles /m *.chm /c "cmd /c xfduae.exe @file @file.out"
(change *.chm extension to what you need, optionally change @file.out extension as you wish, also there's extra help for using forfiles /?)
- Why copy to this folder and run as admin ? so you won't have to change the configuration that xfduae.exe will use.

Now onto deciphering all this !!!
Theres no guarantee you've got all the files. FUNGUS is a packer used by a guy at Gremlin called Fungus the Bogeyman (I kid you not!, he actually changed his name by deed poll!).

If any of the files are not packed, then your method will not get any data that isn't packed.

Chances are you will have most of it, but I'd compare the total in packed files versus a full disk image and see if they are similar.
Old 25 June 2012, 04:35   #19
aybe

Hehehehe lol

Isn't there a typo on your second sentence?
What do you mean by packed ? Full disk image?
I tried over one file and it got bigger than original, content is more consistent but it's not raw pixels, there seems to be some sort of RLE encoding.

Going to look at that and examine a few files ...

Last edited by aybe; 25 June 2012 at 04:48.
Old 25 June 2012, 23:51   #20
aybe

Here are some results !!!

I will personally start attacking this one since its content is quite obvious ... still need to check the game though

Anyone recognizes some format on last 2 pictures ??

Thanks !!!