English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 18 October 2017, 20:09   #621
fragedthewife

Not sure I understand sorry, Have you got a dedicated file selector to go with your flash floppy firmware. The cortex one was nice with the simulated star field
Old 18 October 2017, 20:17   #622
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragedthewife View Post
Not sure I understand sorry, Have you got a dedicated file selector to go with your flash floppy firmware. The cortex one was nice with the simulated star field
Use the HxC selector.

The Cortex one won't run (it was terrible anyway).
Old 18 October 2017, 23:08   #623
Keir

Quote:
Originally Posted by nguga View Post
kaffer , in spite the hxcmount , hard disk works and i can read what inside folders and also see the text( content..) inside of files , i can not run programs... takes ages and then 2 bombs

Bus Error........................2 bombs
On reflection this is probably because hxcmount uses a non-default value for num-sectors parameter when talking to the drive. I can send you a candidate fix for this if you like?
Old 19 October 2017, 00:55   #624
fragedthewife

Will this also work using Gotek on Atari St ?
Old 19 October 2017, 08:27   #625
Keir

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragedthewife View Post
Will this also work using Gotek on Atari St ?
Yes and many other systems too.
Old 19 October 2017, 09:22   #626
Mq

I confirm. Yesterday I connected Gotek to my 1040STE and it works very well with st images. Thanks a lot once again Kaffer! Good work!
Old 25 October 2017, 16:24   #627
antiriad76

I also noticed that the latest 0.8.7a Firmware it doesn't include the alternative 7x16 Characterset firmware file with the narrower fonts for us who haven't modified the OLED Window.

Would it be possible to control the font size with a parameter in the settings file instead of having separate firmware?

Other than that this Firmware gets better and better.

Thanks again for your hard work.

Mike
Old 25 October 2017, 16:50   #628
Mq

antiriad76: Have You seen a config file example? If not, then look there better:-)
Old 25 October 2017, 18:29   #629
antiriad76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mq666 View Post
antiriad76: Have You seen a config file example? If not, then look there better:-)
You can read minds.....
Old 27 October 2017, 16:27   #630
Mq

Hi kaffer, I have a suggestion, but I think it's suggestion is "must be":-)
I'm going to build Gotek inside my Atari ST and I want to have only encoder with button instead of two standard buttons. But if that two buttons are no longer available, then I will not be able to do updates from pendrive.
To perform update we must hold on two buttons on startup.
Is it possible to duplicate this function by holding third button on startup?
I think such function will give us to overall choose between using two buttons or encoder.
Old 29 October 2017, 02:05   #631
Keir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mq666 View Post
Hi kaffer, I have a suggestion, but I think it's suggestion is "must be":-)
I'm going to build Gotek inside my Atari ST and I want to have only encoder with button instead of two standard buttons. But if that two buttons are no longer available, then I will not be able to do updates from pendrive.
To perform update we must hold on two buttons on startup.
Is it possible to duplicate this function by holding third button on startup?
I think such function will give us to overall choose between using two buttons or encoder.
Yes agreed.
Old 29 October 2017, 04:42   #632
skIderic

Hey,just confirming that when using the Latest Original HxC Selector Autoboot file,cannot use ADF Files? Boots to Selection menu,browse dirs,select adf's,reboot with F10,use buttons to select,Shows Unknown for adf files.
Og course with forked selector can select with buttons/OLED,works ok,but no Amiga Screen Selector,etc.
Have sample FF config on drive with forked Selector & standard HxC config file with Orig Selector setup.

Old 29 October 2017, 11:28   #633
Keir

Quote:
Originally Posted by skIderic View Post
Hey,just confirming that when using the Latest Original HxC Selector Autoboot file,cannot use ADF Files? Boots to Selection menu,browse dirs,select adf's,reboot with F10,use buttons to select,Shows Unknown for adf files.
Og course with forked selector can select with buttons/OLED,works ok,but no Amiga Screen Selector,etc.
Have sample FF config on drive with forked Selector & standard HxC config file with Orig Selector setup.
This isn't the clearest bug report: Are you saying doesn't work with latest alpha HxC autoboot file selector, but does with older versions?
Old 29 October 2017, 15:00   #634
skIderic

Not really a bug report.Forked version has no onscreen menu,using latest v0.8.7a & sample config,file,is this correct?
Ok,just now tried New V1.65a HxC onscreen Selector For Orig HxC Floppy Emu & it loads ADF's fine! That was my main concern.
Thanks for this GREAT Software!

Old 05 November 2017, 12:47   #635
cbrunschen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaffer View Post
(Note: 1.44MB (HD) image support is not yet reliable).
Is HD support in something that may become available in the not-too-distant future? I'm asking because one of my target devices is an Ensoniq ZR-76 keyboard that uses 1.44MB DOS-formatted floppy disks.

Also, another slightly strange question / request.

I'm specifically looking to use another couple of these drives in Ensoniq VFX-SD and SD-1 keyboards, from the same era as the EPS-16+. All of these use DS/DD floppies, with a format that is almost standard MFM –but with 10 sectors per track, numbers starting from sector 0 (zero), so numbered 0 to 9.

Currently, raw disk image files in certain standard formats are recognized by their size; an 800 kB image such as those would be (512 bytes * 10 sectors * 80 tracks * 2 sides = 819200 bytes = 800 kBytes) would be recognized as having the correct number of tracks & sectors & sides, but would likely be served as having sectors number 1 to 10, rather than 0 to 9 as the keyboard expects.

So against that background; would it be possible to have something somewhere in a configuration file that might allow specifying that "any file with this extension should be treated as a raw disk image with these particular settings"? That way, I wouldn't need to convert the disk images to HFE format.

Best wishes,

// Christian
Old 05 November 2017, 23:05   #636
Keir

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrunschen View Post
Is HD support in something that may become available in the not-too-distant future? I'm asking because one of my target devices is an Ensoniq ZR-76 keyboard that uses 1.44MB DOS-formatted floppy disks.
In this case you can use 1.44MB IMG files no problem.

Quote:
I'm specifically looking to use another couple of these drives in Ensoniq VFX-SD and SD-1 keyboards, from the same era as the EPS-16+. All of these use DS/DD floppies, with a format that is almost standard MFM –but with 10 sectors per track, numbers starting from sector 0 (zero), so numbered 0 to 9.

Currently, raw disk image files in certain standard formats are recognized by their size; an 800 kB image such as those would be (512 bytes * 10 sectors * 80 tracks * 2 sides = 819200 bytes = 800 kBytes) would be recognized as having the correct number of tracks & sectors & sides, but would likely be served as having sectors number 1 to 10, rather than 0 to 9 as the keyboard expects.

So against that background; would it be possible to have something somewhere in a configuration file that might allow specifying that "any file with this extension should be treated as a raw disk image with these particular settings"? That way, I wouldn't need to convert the disk images to HFE format.
Yes something like this is possible. I was thinking perhaps when opening an IMG file to search the same subfolder for a format specifier file (img.cfg?)

But it could instead be done as a global config file specifying a set of suffix -> {sides/sectors/sec_sizes/sec_ids} type info?
Old 05 November 2017, 23:26   #637
Supamax
Da Digger :)

Hi kaffer,
I don't remember having asked it or not before, but:

do you think it would be easy to implement a direct access (on FAT/FAT32 filesystem) for the USB key, so that one could save a file from WB to USB and then see it directly on the PC?

It would be a GREAT (definitive, I would say) way of transferring files from Amiga to PC and vice-versa.
Way better than using PCMCIA-CF adapters or the not-yet-finished SD floppy interface.

EDIT: it wouldn't be limited in file sizes, also (one could transfer multi-megaBytes files). A beautiful solution!
Old 05 November 2017, 23:36   #638
Keir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supamax View Post
Hi kaffer,
I don't remember having asked it or not before, but:

do you think it would be easy to implement a direct access (on FAT/FAT32 filesystem) for the USB key, so that one could save a file from WB to USB and then see it directly on the PC?

It would be a GREAT (definitive, I would say) way of transferring files from Amiga to PC and vice-versa.
Way better than using PCMCIA-CF adapters or the not-yet-finished SD floppy interface.

EDIT: it wouldn't be limited in file sizes, also (one could transfer multi-megaBytes files). A beautiful solution!
It could be done, something in this direction already is the hxcfe copy utility: https://github.com/gonk23/HXCFE_Amiga_copy_utility

This would be better if it was presented as a block-device driver which AmigaOS could then mount as a fat filesystem. I don't think this would necessarily be very hard, I have personally never done an AmigaOS device driver though.

The other thing to bear in mind is that copies will happen at floppy speed, which is approx 25kB/s, or 40 seconds per megabyte. Pretty slow.
Old 06 November 2017, 00:05   #639
Supamax
Da Digger :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaffer View Post
It could be done, something in this direction already is the hxcfe copy utility: https://github.com/gonk23/HXCFE_Amiga_copy_utility
Interesting .
I see that it (still) has a big limitation, though: not able to copy from Amiga to HxC. Only the opposite.

Quote:
The other thing to bear in mind is that copies will happen at floppy speed, which is approx 25kB/s, or 40 seconds per megabyte. Pretty slow.
Ok. Not a big problem for me .

EDIT: could it implement realtime compression/decompression while copying? (to save time during copy)
Old 06 November 2017, 11:36   #640
Keir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supamax View Post
Interesting .
I see that it (still) has a big limitation, though: not able to copy from Amiga to HxC. Only the opposite.
I would quite like to pursue this down the line, but I have other priorities on FlashFloppy for now, and little enough time.

Quote:
Ok. Not a big problem for me .

EDIT: could it implement realtime compression/decompression while copying? (to save time during copy)
Real-time compression would be the problem, particularly on an unaccelerated Amiga.