English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 28 October 2002, 21:01   #1
barbecue

how to make icons appear on an amiga 500 after transfer from pc

I read the thread: Workbench bugging me , started by Ollibolli.

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?threadid=6612

I have the same problem, but the amiga key combination doesn´t seem to work on my amiga 500 with workbench 1.3. Is there any way to make the files show up ?
From the pc side I see them in the disk.
This would be my only chance to pass the programs to amiga, because if I try to access the floppy directly I get an "unknown error", so the only way is to pass them to the ram disk and then copy them to the floppy on the amiga, but the files don´t show up.

Thanks !

Old 28 October 2002, 22:53   #2
Amiga1992

Re: how to make icons appear on an amiga 500 after transfer from pc

Quote:
Originally posted by barbecue
[B] the amiga key combination doesn´t seem to work on my amiga 500 with workbench 1.3. Is there any way to make the files show up ?
The Amga key shortcut is for OS3.5 and upwards, doesnt even work in OS 3.1 or 2.0 ...

Unfortunately such an option does not even exist in Workbench 1.3 so you have to create an icon for your files before they show up.

Use the Shell instead for accessing the files.
Old 28 October 2002, 23:58   #3
barbecue

Where can I get information on making the icons ?
I tried to pass the files that are inside the adf to the amiga floppy and that worked, but then when I tried to boot the game it was as if the floppy was empty. It seems that if the files don't show on workbench (they do show in the terminal when I make a dir) it doesn't work.

Old 29 October 2002, 01:31   #4
Amiga1992

That is wrong. You do not need ICONS for making programs work. You just have to find the executable file and type its name on the shell prompt.

I suppose when you try to boot the disk it takes you to a Shell window. Otherwise you formatted a disk but didn't install a bootblock on it.

If you want to make icons there are lots of programs for doing that on Aminet

[edit] thread moved to the newbie problems forum
Old 29 October 2002, 01:59   #5
barbecue

I seem to have found a way to solve the problem:
After passing the files I run diskdoctor and after that, the game runs fine.
Maybe it builds the equivalent to the FAT, I don't know, but it works.

Old 29 October 2002, 02:44   #6
Amiga1992

?????

very strange. The use of diskdoctor is NEVER recommended, it's a disk destroyer.
Old 29 October 2002, 08:31   #7
Miggy2TheMax

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira
?????

very strange. The use of diskdoctor is NEVER recommended, it's a disk destroyer.
second that, don't fool around with stuff like that, experience tells.

If you just want an icon to appear for a particular file, that file will need an associated .info file. The .info file contains the icon itself so that workbench can draw it for you.

I hope that is what you were asking about.

cheers.
Old 29 October 2002, 15:41   #8
barbecue

Since I´m new to Amiga I might be expressing myself wrongly.
I can´t pass an ADF directly to the amiga because the explorer just hangs up. The only way I found is to extract the files from the adf and to pass them to the disk. That way I can see them using a shell on the amiga, but they don´t work(what I mean is that I can run them from the shell, but the disk doesn´t boot). I used diskdoctor on a couple of disks and it works. I´m gonna try the process again without using diskdoctor and see what happens.

Is diskdoctor dangerous to the disks and the drive, or just the disks ?

I´m using 1.44 disks, some format ok on the amiga others don´t . Could I stick to those or should I just try to find single density disks ?

Thanks for the patience and help !

Old 29 October 2002, 16:01   #9
Amiga1992

Make sure you put some tape in the extra hole HD disks have... might be enough most times, but you will encounter frequent data loss... Yu should try to get some double density'ers

Dont use diskdoctor, I suppose what that is doing is just creating a bootable bootblock. Dunno if 1.3 has this command but try doing an "install df0:" and see if it works!
Old 30 October 2002, 04:50   #10
Miggy2TheMax

Quote:
Originally posted by barbecue
Since I´m new to Amiga I might be expressing myself wrongly.
I can´t pass an ADF directly to the amiga because the explorer just hangs up. The only way I found is to extract the files from the adf and to pass them to the disk. That way I can see them using a shell on the amiga, but they don´t work(what I mean is that I can run them from the shell, but the disk doesn´t boot). I used diskdoctor on a couple of disks and it works. I´m gonna try the process again without using diskdoctor and see what happens.

Is diskdoctor dangerous to the disks and the drive, or just the disks ?

I´m using 1.44 disks, some format ok on the amiga others don´t . Could I stick to those or should I just try to find single density disks ?

Thanks for the patience and help !
diskdoctor is dangerous to _data_ on disks only, I doubt it would do anything 'physical' to the drive or disk.

with 1.44 disks I have the same experience some are ok, and some not. Best use Double Density disks.

I'm wondering, why your explorer hangs? Is it when you are copying the adf raw to the drive? If so ensure that the application that you are using is 1.3 comaptible.
Old 30 October 2002, 16:41   #11
barbecue

The explorer hangs either when I copy and paste on a disk an ADF, or when I draga something into the amiga icon. The only way I found is to open de ADF and copy the files and subdirs onto the disk.
The amiga explorer is version 4 and 4 final and I´m using the client on the amiga that came with the disks that the guy who sold me the computer gave me. All workbenchs are 1.3. Since I´m using everything that the guy gave I figure it should be ok.
I managed once to pass an ADF directly, but only once. Maybe it was because I used the setup program that passes the explorer client to the amiga through the serial. I don´t know.

Old 31 October 2002, 01:40   #12
Miggy2TheMax

tough problem... Sounds like you have your amiga connected via serial to your PC and you can successfully transfer files across, but not adfs?
I haven't used Amiga Explorer 4 so I don't know much about it. If you do have a serial link between you miggy and PC have you tried using twinexpress to transfer files?
Old 31 October 2002, 02:21   #13
oldpx

I'm using amiga explorer

Make sure you are specifying the right speed and settings on both computers, if it still fails to transfer big files properly, try lowering your bit rate. I transfer files at 115200 with no problems, however mine is bigger than yours, I mean my amiga is quite fast and I assume your a500 is just 68000/7mhz therefore this might/should be the reason of your problems.

Actually I did have problems transferring files as well but modifying the properties of "amiga computer" on pc's desktop and "aexplorer" on amiga help, nothing else. Maybe the serial preferences of amiga and com port's hardware properties too.

Old 31 October 2002, 21:19   #14
barbecue

Twin express doesn´t work, on the pc side I get: "malfunctioning serial device" the amiga side seems to be ok but it says that the pc is to slow. I started both with the 19200 setting. So I just dropped it.

On to the explorer: the pc side is configured via explorer to 19200. On the amiga, I managed to configure the serial to the same settings (not through explorer though). Do you suggest that I go even slower than that ? But if it works ...

Old 01 November 2002, 04:19   #15
Amiga1992

You should run Twin Express on a real DOS mode. That will let you transfer at up to 115200

It works here under Windows 98, but I dunno about newer versions.
Old 06 November 2002, 06:36   #16
Miggy2TheMax

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira
You should run Twin Express on a real DOS mode. That will let you transfer at up to 115200

It works here under Windows 98, but I dunno about newer versions.
Agree with Akira, you need to quit your windows into DOS (ok if you have 95/98), then run twinexpress from the command line and you will get 115200 no worries. Twin Express "hits the h/w" and windbloze does not like this and complains, that is why you get the error. Hope that helps, cheers.