English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 06 July 2015, 15:24   #141
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
Of course you can. Think.

The only difference from now would be that you get a headphone jack which is amplified so you can actually hear anything, and with no 100% stereo separation to drive you crazy after 5 mins of music work. As I said, musicians would love it
I get what you want to do, you want to have a HEAPHONE plug and that's a different thing. You need a line amp plus a volume control knob, because otherwise it would always be set at TOO DAMN LOUD and damage your ears.

Yes, it'd be perfect to have at demoparties. But only if it's a headphone amp with volume control. If you have gone as far as adding an amp and volume control, you can have a knob that controls how much stereo separation you want.

Connecting your headphones to line output isn't a good idea.
Old 06 July 2015, 16:52   #142
kolla
Banned

Yeah, I don't see how mixed stereo is beneficial for musicians, I would rather have the option of dedicated output for each channel - quadrophonia I have a cheap mixer that I use with my computers, and for amiga I use two mono channels, and mix them left and right as I wish. Any musician has mixers much better than mine.
Old 06 July 2015, 17:13   #143
pandy71

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
I think that just confirms that Clone-A AGA either doesn't exist or (like the open source implementations) is full of bugs due to lack of documentation.
Well... i had impression that A-Clone/Clone-A is ECS implementation and AGA can be added as not big issue (natural extension for ECS features). Side to this other product (Indivision ECS/AGA FF) seem to show that this is working solution...
This made all so weird...
Old 06 July 2015, 17:19   #144
pandy71

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolla View Post
Yeah, I don't see how mixed stereo is beneficial for musicians
PANORAMA in software - this is obvious - you can control position of source within music editor not externally.
Old 06 July 2015, 17:25   #145
kolla
Banned

Yeah, well, but I would rather do that on something else than the Amiga.
Old 06 July 2015, 19:17   #146
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolla View Post
Yeah, well, but I would rather do that on something else than the Amiga.
Agreed, is exactly what I meant. Us musicians tend to prefer separated outputs for many reasons. Not only you can control stereo separation with an outboard mixer, you can also effect each channel separately (maybe I want to add delay to a channel and not the other one).
Old 06 July 2015, 21:47   #147
Photon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
I get what you want to do, you want to have a HEAPHONE plug and that's a different thing. You need a line amp plus a volume control knob, because otherwise it would always be set at TOO DAMN LOUD and damage your ears.

Yes, it'd be perfect to have at demoparties. But only if it's a headphone amp with volume control. If you have gone as far as adding an amp and volume control, you can have a knob that controls how much stereo separation you want.

Connecting your headphones to line output isn't a good idea.
Not only for demoparties, but to make music after 10PM at home as well.

And yes, headphone amps is the external equipment that is a drag to get. They are sold in no stores anywhere and I don't understand it. They should have made it into consumerland long ago, at least I've seen them requested often enough

Oh, there are lots of them, none of them simply "sound too weak. amplify. sound extremely much more separated than in my stereo. mix.", and in all kinds of states of confusion.

They're usually battery-operated and in some big clump form factor you have bring with you, and I don't even think there's an option for reducing the stereo separation in 99.9% of them.

Extremely few will require 4-channel output, and if they do they will prefer an external line-in mixer with lots of possibilities.

Lots of equipment have the standard L and R white and red RCA outputs. Unlike the other equipment, the audio doesn't come pre-mixed but is harshly separated 100%. With a chip and few resistors, this could be fixed more cheaply and solve the original hardware design problem.

It would instantly make all games and demos sound better, without everyone rushing out to get the extra equipment to do it.

Last edited by Photon; 06 July 2015 at 21:56.
Old 07 July 2015, 00:05   #148
Amiga1992

Yeah but where will you put the sound volume knob and stuff? That is what I am getting at here. It sounds too much for the motherboard.
If there was a way to add a headphone amp with volume control that doesn't need case modifications, I'm all in for it! A headphone amp WITHOUT volume control is USELESS because it will be TOO LOUD and ruin your hearing.

I actually bought a FIOS headphone amp and it worked well but I didn't do a proper volume circuit. I have used it at Datastorm a couple of years ago.

If you wanna make music at home after 10PM and want to use headphones, as said before, get a small sound mixer. Something cheap but good from Mackie like the MIX8 or MIX5 will sort you out. Connect the Amiga outputs each to a mono channel, and pan (or not) as you please, and use headphones. That's what us musicians have, an outboard mixer, and it doens't cost an arm and a leg to get.

As I said, IF there was a way to include headphone amplification with volume control in the motherboard in a way that doesn't affect the case design, I'm game.
Old 07 July 2015, 00:12   #149
dJOS

Tbh unless this Amiga reloaded board takes the approach of the original Phoenix 1000 replacement board and brings significant upgrades I won't be buying one.
Old 07 July 2015, 13:47   #150
Daedalus

Anyway, what are you going to be making music with before 10pm? Surely whatever speakers/amplifier/TV you're using for your sound has a headphones output on it? That's where you want to be plugging in your headphones, not adding extra parts to a motherboard to convert line-level audio to headphones output that most people don't want. I know everyone's different, but I've never wanted to plug headphones into any computer or console since I've always used a proper amp for sound output.

At the end of the day, adding all these extra, cheap parts that everyone's asking for will all add up and make the board far more expensive for the end user. It's not just the cost of parts - there's extra assembly, design time, simulation and testing involved, all of which adds to the final price.
Old 07 July 2015, 13:52   #151
dJOS

New Amiga motherboards from Jens

The board would be better value if it didn't come with key parts missing. E.g. Color video via RGB or svideo or even better HDMI.

I don't mind the CPU approach, that is sensible.
Old 07 July 2015, 13:52   #152
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

indeed... let's not unnecessarily overcomplicate an already daunting project. A 3.5mm jack instead of phono output is a perfectly reasonable change, though.
Old 07 July 2015, 13:53   #153
dJOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Beanbag View Post
indeed... let's not unnecessarily overcomplicate an already daunting project. A 3.5mm jack instead of phono output is a perfectly reasonable change, though.

Agreed, nothing wrong with that either.
Old 07 July 2015, 14:05   #154
demolition
Unregistered User

Headphone output is not required, however a stereo mix adjustment would be quite useful, not only for headphones but also for speakers.
Old 07 July 2015, 15:02   #155
Photon

Well, it's in WinUAE for a reason, and it could be in an Amiga for a reason. The reason being the original output is hard panned L and R and it's been a bad thing for 3 decades. It was just an idea to put the annoyance straight in a real new Amiga model. But never mind. I'll just ask Jens, he'll say no, and I'll build it myself. Beats dragging a half Amiga size mixer+PSU just to get usable headphone output.
Old 07 July 2015, 15:11   #156
Amiga1992

I'm a lot more worried about a shitty black and white composite output instead of SVideo. That really needs to go. Jens, pwetty puleeeez!
Old 07 July 2015, 15:15   #157
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
Well, it's in WinUAE for a reason, and it could be in an Amiga for a reason.
it's trivial to implement in an emulator.

Quote:
The reason being the original output is hard panned L and R and it's been a bad thing for 3 decades. It was just an idea to put the annoyance straight in a real new Amiga model. But never mind. I'll just ask Jens, he'll say no, and I'll build it myself. Beats dragging a half Amiga size mixer+PSU just to get usable headphone output.
Putting it "right" right would be modifying Paula so you could set independent Left and Right volume levels for each channel in software (in a backwards compatible way).

But for now, i already posted the £2.79 solution:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/35mm-stere...-adapter-fk15r
Old 07 July 2015, 18:28   #158
Retro1234
Phone Homer

ATX motherboard would be cool
what about a cpu slot would that be possible?
anyway Good luck Jens
Old 07 July 2015, 18:44   #159
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

motherboard with height of ATX and width of Flex ATX should fit inside A1200 case easily. only problem is the rear panel.

maybe A600? can't find dimensions for an A600 motherboard
Old 07 July 2015, 20:55   #160
Photon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Beanbag View Post
it's trivial to implement in an emulator.

Putting it "right" right would be modifying Paula so you could set independent Left and Right volume levels for each channel in software (in a backwards compatible way).

But for now, i already posted the £2.79 solution:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/35mm-stere...-adapter-fk15r
Yes, I saw that and ignored it as troll bait, since it doesn't help anyone. Curious.

And yeah, just add some volume registers plus the missing mixing capability to a custom chip register that nobody has been able to clone in 30 years. How hard can it be!?

Again, not the most helpful suggestion.