English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.CD32 Conversion

Old 03 April 2019, 19:23   #21
Mrz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
I can imagine a technique like this would be very cool for Turrican(2) where there are full studio remixes by the original composer available (if you own the CD).
why you want turrican 2 with remixed music ? the original music is fantastic and can't be enhanced

turrican 2 and 3 are the games which have the better music in all the history of videogames
Old 07 April 2019, 23:31   #22
jotd
This cat is no more

Okay, update: now you can burn on a disk and it works on a real console.

Took me all week but I'm proud to present the full version. See original post for instructions & limitations.

I'm currently witnessing the end screen on my real console after having successfully loaded & played all levels.
Old 08 April 2019, 02:49   #23
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

Great work like usual j-f. turrican + 1

ps : they are doing something like that on the snes.
Take a look : http://helmet.kafuka.org/msu1.htm
Old 08 April 2019, 19:03   #24
Wachi

Thumbs up

Now it works well on CD32.
Thank you for your great work....
Old 08 April 2019, 20:24   #25
jotd
This cat is no more

@Wachi my pleasure. You may have noticed that I included your CD printable label on the disc.
Now I can try Lemmings again, and other games.
@Turrican3 yes, looks like it. But the cool thing about the CD32 is that it's much more common & "standard".
Old 08 April 2019, 21:03   #26
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
@Wachi my pleasure. You may have noticed that I included your CD printable label on the disc.
Now I can try Lemmings again, and other games.
@Turrican3 yes, looks like it. But the cool thing about the CD32 is that it's much more common & "standard".
Do thinl that there is no way for simple guy with a debuger to see when there is Paula calls and make a xml file like with snes msu1 ? I ask because it must be a huge work to make alone, if it could be a way to help you ???
Old 08 April 2019, 21:12   #27
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by turrican3 View Post
ps : they are doing something like that on the snes.
Take a look : http://helmet.kafuka.org/msu1.htm
Perhaps this post might be of interest to you.
http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=...3&postcount=22
Old 08 April 2019, 21:30   #28
Mrz
Banned

btw,

the trainer here is not working
I keep pressed the blue button during boot but nothing happens, it start with 3 lives as usual
Old 08 April 2019, 21:37   #29
jotd
This cat is no more

Maybe you have to wait until the AmigaCD animation shows. Not sure. I have tested it from command line (not from CD boot) when booting from the TF on the CF card.

EDIT: tested from CD and it works. Press blue buttons when CD animation shows until "8th day" screen appears to be safe.

Last edited by jotd; 19 April 2019 at 23:39.
Old 09 April 2019, 00:14   #30
SKOLMAN_MWS

I do not have PrismaMeamix, but this audio card can play mp3 files during the game.
Old 10 April 2019, 03:05   #31
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

Quote:
Do thinl that there is no way for simple guy with a debuger to see when there is Paula calls and make a xml file like with snes msu1 ? I ask because it must be a huge work to make alone, if it could be a way to help you ???
Perhaps,but a way that could help jotd to not do everything alone could be call. I just hope that there is one way to help him more.
Old 14 April 2019, 22:55   #32
jotd
This cat is no more

This isn't the way to do such adaptations. You have to locate the main loop and the current level to play the proper music / monitor when the music isn't playing anymore to restart it.

Also monitor the "game over" routine to stop the music at this point.

This requires disassembling of the game and some reverse engineering, then code a .cdslave (study examples in CD32load package). Being familiar with how whdload works is a plus, since cdslaves use patchlists too.

For Premiere it was easy (not the CD loading itself which was hell, but the specific game adaptations, since the game is coded in a simple/trivial way)

For Marble Madness it was just hell (game coded in C, with events, not just music or sfx but music AND sfx, and music had to be removed, but not sfx)

It also requires a lot of testing, where levelskip & trainers become mandatory.
Old 15 April 2019, 01:21   #33
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
This isn't the way to do such adaptations. You have to locate the main loop and the current level to play the proper music / monitor when the music isn't playing anymore to restart it.

Also monitor the "game over" routine to stop the music at this point.

This requires disassembling of the game and some reverse engineering, then code a .cdslave (study examples in CD32load package). Being familiar with how whdload works is a plus, since cdslaves use patchlists too.

For Premiere it was easy (not the CD loading itself which was hell, but the specific game adaptations, since the game is coded in a simple/trivial way)

For Marble Madness it was just hell (game coded in C, with events, not just music or sfx but music AND sfx, and music had to be removed, but not sfx)

It also requires a lot of testing, where levelskip & trainers become mandatory.
no way for me then !!! if only i could learn assembler.
Old 15 April 2019, 01:34   #34
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
no way for me then !!! if only i could learn assembler.
Except if exists unknown reasons, why not
Old 18 April 2019, 22:20   #35
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by malko View Post
Except if exists unknown reasons, why not
Why not is my problem, in fact i have difficulty to understand the basics : like registers. It was often my problem, the basic things after when i understood the basic, it's more easy for me.
I know this sound strange, but it's the way that my brain work and since i have a tinnitus, it's even harder for me to learn new things !
But if someone could find a way to explain me really the basics of the amiga like registers, etc... perhaps with a draw, i'll come back to the books.
But alone i can't figure it out.
Old 19 April 2019, 09:48   #36
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

@turrican3: pm sent
Old 14 May 2019, 02:43   #37
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

By the way jotd,
how difficult to adapt it to the amiga 1200 ?
I know the answered i received by the past ... Too much hardware possibilities...
But why not focusing on the most used, atapi, i suppose.
Could be done, no ??
I clearly don't really care, if it still just work on cd32, i'm more than happy...
but i think about all guys which don't have a cd32 and all the coders who don't cares because it is only for the cd32.
I'm sure if it worked on the amiga 1200 even just on atapi, more coders could help you with the slaves. And the one who doesn't use their cd-rom with atapi will perhaps try to make it work on there solution.
I know that this is once again a difficult job, but like said long time ago :
[ Show youtube player ]

edited : jotd, you should clean your mp boxe.
Old 14 May 2019, 21:50   #38
jotd
This cat is no more

The CD loading & play routines are CD32 specific, relying on AKIKO chipset (basereg=$B80000) so adapting that would need to rewrite the lowlevel sector read routines (for the data, but we could also read from HD, not the biggest issue)

CD audio play issue would remain. Adapting to ATAPI / other / CDTV could be done, but I think very few people could handle a hardware version of this (Toni, for sure since he wrote the CD32 audio player for CD32load, but that's still a lot of work)
Old 15 May 2019, 13:27   #39
SKOLMAN_MWS

@turrican3

IDEfix97 has a simple CD32 emulator, which just emulates references to an optical drive in CD32, only of course the A1200 does not have an audio mixer, sound you have to mix it with an external hardware device or sound card. http://aminet.net/package/driver/media/IDEfix97
Old 15 May 2019, 23:44   #40
jotd
This cat is no more

IDEFix97 comes with rewritten cd.device. Not hardware level. Only CD games using cd.device (and generally having been rewritten to use the OS) would work. My audio enhanced games would not and there's no way to do that since the games take over the system.