English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 25 June 2020, 19:53   #1
ZEUSDAZ

100th Shit Game Time: AAARGH! (AMIGA)

Well a milestone has been hit, the 100th episode of "Shit Game Time" is finally here and that award goes to AAARGH! on the Amiga, imo a poor man's Rampage.
This one got me REALLY

If you're a fan of SGT then you'll enjoy this one as not only I lost my temper (which some of you sick twisted individuals seems to enjoy hearing) but it was so bad that I reset the game and displayed the kickstart 1.2 screen just to bring my blood pressure down.

Enjoy: [ Show youtube player ]
Old 25 June 2020, 20:39   #2
roondar

An appropriate name for a game featured on shit game time
I'll be checking it out for sure!
Old 25 June 2020, 22:16   #3
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

I assume this is meant to be some kind of joke? This game is one of the best early Amiga games, it was rated 87% by Zzap! and obtained similar high scores from most other magazines, and was even good enough to be released as a coin-op!

I don't know why he would lose his temper about this game, he must not be very good at playing it or something :-( .
Old 25 June 2020, 22:33   #4
manossg

I think this game is quite enjoyable...not a great game, but definitely not shit.
Old 26 June 2020, 00:53   #5
ZEUSDAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuous View Post
I assume this is meant to be some kind of joke? This game is one of the best early Amiga games, it was rated 87% by Zzap! and obtained similar high scores from most other magazines, and was even good enough to be released as a coin-op!

I don't know why he would lose his temper about this game, he must not be very good at playing it or something :-( .

Well if you like that game then you may like Vigilante on Amiga too

Bottom line is it is unplayable and unenjoyable, was back then and still is especially the one-on-one stages, just ridiculous collision detection and just boils down to sheer luck beating him, It's a crud game even for 1987/88 when you compare the many other great games around at the time, at least Rampage got everything balanced correctly.
Old 26 June 2020, 01:13   #6
roondar

I've never played this game, but I could hear the furious clicking of the joystick while nothing happened on screen. At the very least I think I can safely say there must be control issues. Can't judge the rest though - haven't played it.

And besides, Zeusdaz's videos obviously represent his take and opinion and no one else's - which is fair enough. I watch them because I often agree and somehow find his takes on these games to be rather entertaining.
Old 26 June 2020, 10:27   #7
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

The best thing about Aaargh! is its inspiration - Ray Harryhausen's stop-motion animation, The 7th Voyage of Sinbad etc.

It's hard to tell if you're actually taking part during the one on one stages, but the rest of the game is reasonably OK, five minutes at a time, if you don't have many other games to hand. It's a shame it lacks the arcade version's two-player option. That and better controls on the Amiga might have saved it.
Old 26 June 2020, 10:51   #8
Solo Kazuki

Arcadia version is fully playable on Amiga, here are WHDLoad installers and ROMs.
Old 26 June 2020, 11:46   #9
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

Nice one, thanks. At the least, I'd definitely watch a two-player let's play with commentary to see how much difference it makes to the verdict.
Old 26 June 2020, 12:08   #10
Solo Kazuki

I don't know about AAARGH! differences, but Arcadia version of Ninja Mission is far (x*far) better than Amiga floppy version.
Old 26 June 2020, 12:42   #11
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo Kazuki View Post
Arcadia version is fully playable on Amiga, here are WHDLoad installers and ROMs.
Is this this different from say the version I already have in WHD load?
Old 28 June 2020, 06:04   #12
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

I think i had a beta version of AAARGH! in 1988
So much beta that background assets were available as iff pictures and i did load and play with it on deluxe paint ^^
Old 28 June 2020, 09:12   #13
Solo Kazuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidgerry View Post
Is this this different from say the version I already have in WHD load?
See post just above Your post.

Quote:
I don't know about AAARGH! differences
What i can say about differences is 2p option mentioned before and from screenshots intro and map is added.

I can just say again, don't play floppy version of Ninja Mission (because it sucks horribly), play Arcadia version instead!
Old 28 June 2020, 13:49   #14
rabidgerry

Quote:

What i can say about differences is 2p option mentioned before and from screenshots intro and map is added.

I can just say again, don't play floppy version of Ninja Mission (because it sucks horribly), play Arcadia version instead!
Well thanks for the tip on Ninja Mission, it's a game I don't know so I will be sure to check it out!!
Old 29 June 2020, 09:59   #15
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I don't really call this a shit game - I call it a shit genre. Rampage and AAARGH are quite fun. For fifteen minutes, and then they become monotonous. But that's alright, not every game is meant to be played for hours.
Old 29 June 2020, 10:15   #16
Ian
Global Moderator

I've played Aaargh a few times, not tried to give it as much of a chances as Zeus has, and still came to the same conclusion.

It's not for me, but that doesn't mean others may not like it, one mans tat is another mans treasure.
Old 29 June 2020, 20:04   #17
ZEUSDAZ

I've just downloaded the arcade Arcadia arcade version, yet to play it but will post my findings and feelings, that aside the amiga floppy version i can happily reconfirm is SHITE!
Old 30 June 2020, 12:02   #18
rabidgerry

Quote:

It seems a bit nicer actually. I noticed in my WHD load I already had AAARGH! Arcadia version, but I don't seem to be able to get it to play with joystick/joypad. Keeps using a mouse.

It ends up only allowing me to use joystick if I am in two player game. There seems to be more options in this version also. I like the music too If I can figure out the joystick thing I think this game will be fun. Probably not for hours like Ian suggests.
Old 01 July 2020, 11:37   #19
Solo Kazuki

It's because Arcadia didn't need mouse so both ports are for joysticks. So You may just swap joystick port to play 1P or have proper switching interface, e.g. like this one.

Old 01 July 2020, 13:48   #20
PatmanQC

I enjoyed this game growing up as well as vigilante so I don't get all the hate?