English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 09 January 2013, 15:09   #481
Schoenfeld
electricky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calabazam View Post
If you think about redesigning the whole ACA500, what do you think of an external device for the side expansion slot?
After four posts, you're starting to make sense. However, this neither solves power problems ('cause the supply stays the same: 2.5A rating is lower than the A600/A1200 PSUs), nor does it add space for bulky drives.

The A500 is a neat machine. However, it's not that neat any more if you connect big things to it's left side. It'll be ugly with an A1200 accelerator sticking out the back, but still a lot easier to install than on the 68k socket.

Jens
Old 09 January 2013, 15:21   #482
nikos.rizos

The A500 has a classic beauty and should not have modern proucts on it's left side. Period.

The free space that exists inside the case is vast if you compare this to a A1200 and a moden solution should be internal.

I had a viper520CD on one of my A500 and couldn't care less for any GVP or A590 side car.

@ Jens
One thing you should reconsider, if it is not to much trouble for you, is the memory trapdoor. On your ACA500 MK1 design, it ignored whatever existed there.

It would be really great if a chip ram expansion lives there to be fully useable as a...chip ram expansion
Old 09 January 2013, 15:37   #483
Schoenfeld
electricky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos.rizos View Post
The A500 has a classic beauty and should not have modern proucts on it's left side. Period.
Here we go: Can't make everyone happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos.rizos View Post
@ Jens
One thing you should reconsider, if it is not to much trouble for you, is the memory trapdoor. On your ACA500 MK1 design, it ignored whatever existed there.

It would be really great if a chip ram expansion lives there to be fully useable as a...chip ram expansion
Neither the internal, nor the external design are "ignoring" chipmem expansions. The one thing I always excluded were memory expansions and HD controllers for the side-slot, which is why both designs fully block the side-slot.

Chipmem is *very* valuable on the Amiga. I'd never design anything that would reduce it's availability or that conflicts with a 2M chip expansion.

Jens
Old 10 January 2013, 11:40   #484
Calabazam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoenfeld View Post
After four posts, you're starting to make sense. However, this neither solves power problems ('cause the supply stays the same: 2.5A rating is lower than the A600/A1200 PSUs), nor does it add space for bulky drives.

The A500 is a neat machine. However, it's not that neat any more if you connect big things to it's left side. It'll be ugly with an A1200 accelerator sticking out the back, but still a lot easier to install than on the 68k socket.

Jens
I meant that an external device can have its own PSU, like the A590 does.
I do not think that a side expansion is ugly. There are numerous classic expansions for the side slot. A lot of them match the design of the A500.

As i did expect a lot in the ACA520 then ACA500 when it has been announced, i would just like to see something better than the expansions already available (it's easy to find a A590, a GVP, a Macrosystem/Alfapower/whatever controller, with RAM and SCSI or IDE).
Several internal devices also exist either old (Viper520) or new (Kipper2k's).
I expect the best from Individual Computers.
Old 10 January 2013, 12:47   #485
moijk
License to Bubble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calabazam View Post
I do not think that a side expansion is ugly. There are numerous classic expansions for the side slot. A lot of them match the design of the A500.
One of my a500 has a gvp hd+ - and that is as classic amiga 500 as one can get. it represent what i dreamt of when i got the a500.

However I do want the aca500 to be internal. the gvp hd+ a500 takes a whole lot of desk space so i want my other 500s to be a tad easier to move around.

and my intention with the aca500 is to run it as is for whdload. i only got the aca1230/56 so i don't get to test it at 030, but given i got a aca630 for my 600 i don't need any more speed in the 500.
Old 10 January 2013, 22:42   #486
dJOS

I like to be able to slide my 500's around on my desk and those old GVP's dont really allow this so im glad Jens is not considering an external expansion.
Old 11 January 2013, 07:52   #487
Schoenfeld
electricky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dJOS View Post
I like to be able to slide my 500's around on my desk and those old GVP's dont really allow this so im glad Jens is not considering an external expansion.
Not sure if my previous posts were unclear, but just in case: I am seriously considering an external design, if mechanical parts for that are available. That's what the current re-design is about. I know that space is precious on the desk, so it should only extend the width of the computer by a few cm.

As an added bonus, the CF card slot is a lot easier to access. The new sample PCB is due to arrive on january 23rd. Keep your fingers crossed that all mechanical parts have arrived by then, and that this new design will pass the "install by girlfriend" test ;-)

Jens
Old 11 January 2013, 07:57   #488
dJOS

Lol, thanks jens, sounds interesting.
Old 11 January 2013, 12:29   #489
attle

Could be good, but please make a pretty casing
Old 11 January 2013, 12:31   #490
dJOS

+1 it has to match well!
Old 11 January 2013, 13:18   #491
moijk
License to Bubble

Quote:
I am seriously considering an external design, if mechanical parts for that are available
Well, external would really solve all my cf-between-computer-and-amiga needs. and also makes it easier to test it on other a500 in the collection with different kickstart and setup. (not that it matters with maprom but still)

Quote:
will pass the "install by girlfriend" test ;-)
I really think you ought to read up on our complains about the acceptance of our hobby from our spouses, because for example the only installation my spouse would ever do to my retro gear was to make them fit the garbage bin. ;-)
Old 11 January 2013, 13:29   #492
Schoenfeld
electricky.

To be in line with Chameleon, it should be some bright colour to show "there's something special here". Chameleon ist bright yellow. ACA500 could be.. neon-green? Maybe orange would be a runner in *.nl? ;-)

With all the parts that need to be open (access to CF, A1200 accel connector), it'll be hard to make a full case. It might be just a steel cover, and a small part of the board will be visible. Last time I checked, it was cheaper to use stainless steel instead of cheaper steel with colour coating.

Should I decide to go with that design, the A1200 accel will always be openly visible. However, I'm not in a position to take suggestions or make promises at this point, where even the specs are not set in stone and software rights are not 100% clear.

Jens
Old 11 January 2013, 13:52   #493
moijk
License to Bubble

Quote:
With all the parts that need to be open (access to CF, A1200 accel connector), it'll be hard to make a full case. It might be just a steel cover, and a small part of the board will be visible. Last time I checked, it was cheaper to use stainless steel instead of cheaper steel with colour coating.
you respond to people wanting to keep the classic look with a bright orange or green steel box with parts exposed?

Put a hinge on it (lock in place with a magnet for instance) and lift up, to the side (or whatever floats your boat) to get to the a1200 card and if not exposed through the chassis - the cf card.

I've gone to lengths to case every hobbyist device i got just to keep it from the realms of flying coffee spills and dust clouds my home office endures from day to day. so given the proximity to my a500 - i take a full case thank you.

But I'll buy it almost whatever you decide for it, i do however draw the line at bright blue lights. I just trew out a computer i got for free because it made my home office look like a hollywood alien abduction was in progess.
Old 11 January 2013, 17:46   #494
Calabazam

I am very happy to read about this possible external expansion.
Never mind the shape or colour of the case, i am sure that end-users will have a lot of creativity in order to make custom cases.
Old 05 February 2013, 10:42   #495
Schoenfeld
electricky.

ACA500 prototype 2 pictures and preliminary data

Hi,

Prototype 2 of the ACA500 has passed three important tests:

1. MBRtest for all memory types
2. run a full AIBB module
3. girlfriend-installation-test (tm) passed without the need for a helping hand!

I might be able to gain a little speed on fastmem, but that will not change anything significant on performance. It's more like a "because I can" thing - if a refresh crosses an access, then the access loses up to three cycles, and that hurts feelings more than performance.

technical data up to this point:
- 68EC000 @ 14,3MHz (double speed of the A500)
- purely external connection, A500 doesn't have to be opened
- Computer will only be wider by just over an inch
- two CF-card slots: One for booting, and the other for exchanging data with a PC
- 2MByte physical RAM, where 1,5M are usable as fastmem and 512k are for Maprom
- trapdoor memory expansions (no matter what size) can still be used
- Chipmem-expansions can still be used
- ROM for things that I can't publish at this point
- local expansion port, will be documented openly (14MHz 16-Bit = twice Zorro-speed)
- clockport for A1200 hardware (Silversurfer, Catweasel MK2...)
- optional expansion with ACA1231/ACA1232

I'm still planning a steel cover for the thing, and there will be special versions for A2000 and A1000. Please note that the A2000 version will be incompatible with anything that does DMA - it won't work with GVP SCSI or A2090/A2091.

Jens
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ACA500_proto2_on_lifesupport.JPG
Views:	490
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	34178   Click image for larger version

Name:	ACA500_Sysinfo_Feb_4_2013.JPG
Views:	296
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	34179   Click image for larger version

Name:	ACA500_AIBB_Feb_4_2013.JPG
Views:	284
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	34180   Click image for larger version

Name:	ACA500_proto2_with_ACA1232.JPG
Views:	418
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	34181  
Old 05 February 2013, 10:49   #496
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Thanks for the update Jens, whilst I'd love something internal it still looks like an awesome solution, I love the second CF slot, very cool.

I have an ACA1232/33 here and waiting

Plastic cover should be optional, naked hardware FTW!
Old 05 February 2013, 11:11   #497
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
very nice but "512k are for Maprom" is there any way this can be 1Mb to keep it in line with recent developments in the kickstart area or is the A500 going have to wait to support 1Mb kickstarts
Old 05 February 2013, 12:01   #498
Schoenfeld
electricky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicfrog View Post
very nice but "512k are for Maprom" is there any way this can be 1Mb to keep it in line with recent developments in the kickstart area or is the A500 going have to wait to support 1Mb kickstarts
Once you have an ACA1231 or ACA1232 connected, you have the 1M Maprom option from that card.

When I accounced the ACA500, I wanted to use the 2M physical mem as 1M fast am 1M Maprom, and people complained. Now I have increased to 1.5M fast and reserved 512k for Maprom, and I get complaints. I know I can't make everyone happy for 79,- EUR.

Jens
Old 05 February 2013, 12:29   #499
Mohican

I think a Pass-Through Adapter would be increase the costs, but a sandwitch solution seems to be safer, and give a simple way to case design.
(Of course the Pass-Through Adapter is an optional add-on, those who have ACA12xx turbocard.)
In this case the ACA500 stay lower price ...
Old 05 February 2013, 12:46   #500
Mr B

I know, for me, i'd get a feeling of rejection from this external beast. I know, it's actually the "right" way to do it, but i would want my upgrades to be unseen and un noticed. I could barely get my self to cut the PCMCIA slot to make room for the CF card above it, leaving me with a transfer port on my A1200. (Main CF is internal.) As luck may have it, i'm not a A500 owner, so not only does Jens have it right, he can't please everyone, but also, he wont even lose a sale over me not being that exited by the look.

And, Jens, keep bringing the good stuff to the Amiga scene. The hardware is pretty much always great, it's a bit sad the software for the MKII still isn't here, but there is nothing but waiting for me to do at that point.