English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Old Rare Games

Old 11 March 2002, 14:18   #1
Riempie
Amiga freak

Pinball Illusions, why no 4 tables?

Hi guys,

I don't know where to put this question, but this post ends in a request eventually, so that's why I posted it here....

Why did the Amiga-version 'only' have 3 tables? I know the CD-version for the PC had 4 tables, but even the CD32-version 'only' has 3 tables. Was it because 21st century had a deadline or something?

Since I know the PC-version (CD) has 4 tables, could someone point me to a location where I can find this version, as I'd like to see/play how the Vikings table looks/feels like.

Thanks in advance...
Old 11 March 2002, 15:26   #2
RetroMan

Well, I really donĀ“t know WHY the Amiga Version only got 3 tables but I attached a shot from the fourth Table of the PC Version so you can have a look
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	i_illus4.jpg
Views:	585
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	1993  
Old 11 March 2002, 21:58   #3
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

I cant get this game working in WINUAE, any advice?
Old 12 March 2002, 04:32   #4
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

WTF? Pinball Illsuions has FOUR tables? That's something new to me. I have Pinbal Illusions for PC, and it only has 3 tables (But that's probably because it's the floppy version)

Anyone knows Pinball Dreams Deluxe? I have it in a CD here, it has the 4 original tables, plus 4 new tables, but I never could make that game work (Something to do with some nasty DOS config or something)
Old 12 March 2002, 06:24   #5
Drake1009

I have Pinball Fantasies Deluxe CD for DOS. As far as I recall that's just the fantasies tables and the dreams table, though I could be mistaken.
Old 12 March 2002, 06:34   #6
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Hmm, here are the list of tables in a .txt file on CD:

Ignition
Steel Wheel
Beat-Box
Nightmare
Neptune
Safari
Revenge of the Robot Warriors
Stall Turn

4 completely new tables..

Damn shame I can't make this game work, to take some screenshots...

Edit: Pay attention, the CD I have is Pinball DREAMS deluxe, you said you have Pinball FANTASIES deluxe.
Old 12 March 2002, 20:25   #7
Belgarath
HOL Team Member

what OS are you running? i can imagine it being problematic in ME or XP etc. but i never had any dos game i couldn't get running in win95/98.
Old 12 March 2002, 21:54   #8
Drake1009

I know you said Dreams I was just pointing out there was also a fantasies which had 4 extra tables.

As for getting dos games working Bel. that's very lucky for you but unfortunately not true. I think you should find the DOS version of Rick dangerous 1 and try to run that under a 98+ system. It won't. I know as I know quite a bit of configuring DOS too. It just won't, I tried on 5 machines with no luck. Then installing 95 on one of them it ran like a charm.

And the hardware could easily make things problematic too. I think I might be able to get things to run better now. But before I upgraded playing digital sound effects in DOS would have a 75% chance of freezing my system up during gameplay. Longest I ever played in Simon the sorcerer (1) CD edition was to the first time you come to the smithy, usually it'd freeze just as you open the drawer and he says "Oh look. There's a pair of scissors in he- oh look. There's a pair of scissor---*silence*"

Doom went all laggy on me, so did future shock. Dreamweb I still haven't managed to play the CD version of because it requires EMS memory and MSCDEX takes too much memory, it can be loaded into high memory, but the mouse driver from logitech does not support cloaking anymore and it will only load in high memory when you're running XMS, not EMS. Result, 5 kb short.

So though you might get a game to run the hardware or drivers might prevent you from being able to run it like you want.
Old 12 March 2002, 23:06   #9
Belgarath
HOL Team Member

unfortunately im usin me now and lots of dos games dont work under that. maybe i was just lucky with the games i had, and havin an old awe64 im sure helped with the sound problem. ive just remembered one game that stopped workin for me when i upgraded my gfx to a riva tnt, the colours on terminal velocity went all screwy. otherwise everythin else worked but like i said i must have been lucky with the games i had
Old 12 March 2002, 23:12   #10
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

I think that one of the tables was removed from Pinball Illusions, because it wasn't deemed to be good enough.
Old 12 March 2002, 23:17   #11
Belgarath
HOL Team Member

ive just grabbed a copy of the pc ver of rick dangerous from the underdogs and that copy at least worked first time for me.

and i remember readin now about the vikings table, yup they said they removed it cos it didnt meet the quality of the other 3..least thats what they said.

pinball illusions also exists for the psx complete with vikings table under the name of true pinball
Old 12 March 2002, 23:20   #12
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Was the PSX version by 21st century? same as the others?
Old 13 March 2002, 03:23   #13
Belgarath
HOL Team Member

no, its got the creators, digital illusions name on it but on the psx it was published by ocean
Old 13 March 2002, 12:34   #14
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Heeey, Belgarath! Long time no see, I doubt you remember me anyway (I had you in my ICQ, like 3 years ago, when we met in Emulation talk ... geez, I am getting old )

Anyway, I have luck with some games, others just refuse to work, thatĀ“s the case with this game. If I remember correctly (I am not at home right now), the game asks for some weird memory manager that I donĀ“t have.

Drake, I got my PC version of Dreamweb running finely here.. I hope you at least can play it on Amiga, because itĀ“s a damn fine game

Maybe you should get a 486 just to play those old games
Old 13 March 2002, 13:51   #15
Drake1009

I completed the Amiga version, but I didn't like the lag in the AGA version, and I thought the PC soundtrack was better.

As for Dreamweb. I've been so close I could almost taste it. It reported having 5 kb more than was needed to run but still the game complained because of the different ways of calculating memory

I will beat it eventually. Even if I have to go find some old old drivers for it.
Old 13 March 2002, 14:09   #16
RetroMan

Speaking of old games

I just bought a VERY old Pirates Version for DOS (EGA/CGA Version) and it really works on my WinME and btw. I only found ONE game not working on ME Dos-Box and that was Warlords
Old 13 March 2002, 20:38   #17
Belgarath
HOL Team Member

hey shatterhand i remember you!, not very well but i do remember you . the memory manager your game is askin for is it qemm?

some old dos games seem to run a lot easier on ME than on 95/98, but i found quite a few which refused to run.

i know there is work being done on a dos emulator, lets hope that eventually solves all these problems
Old 13 March 2002, 21:07   #18
Drake1009

I hope for a proper DOS and Win emulator for Linux to make it far easier to transfer while still using the old software.
Old 14 March 2002, 04:23   #19
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

I must admit I don't remember what memory manager it asks. I can't test it right now, but if I remember, I'll do it tomorrow, then I tell you.

I really can't understand why it took so long for a DOS emulator. I am not a much tech-head guy, but I don't think it should be so hard to emulate the base memory using the expanded memory (and I believe that would solve at least 50% of the problems to run MS-DOS games)
Old 14 March 2002, 22:10   #20
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Quote:
I hope for a proper DOS and Win emulator for Linux to make it far easier to transfer while still using the old software.

http://www.dosemu.org