English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 11 October 2015, 13:14   #1
Photon

100 Hz LED, how do I get black frame insertion going?

I got a 120 Hz monitor (Samsung SA950) and as a nice bonus it supports 50 Hz, so stutter is completely removed and it's a clear improvement over the other flatscreens I've had (except Joytech 8.2"). But ofc black-to-white response leaves blur for things like starfields and horizontal scrollers.

So it worked just by setting the screen to 50 Hz and starting my existing WinUAE installation. But I thought I'd try and see if black frame insertion lowers the motion blur.

It also supports 100Hz. I've started in Quickstart mode on WinUAE 3.10, ticked black frame in Misc and tried with Fullscreen, native, 100Hz. I get no black frames. Logs here -> https://www.dropbox.com/s/2qo4vygbm0...debug.zip?dl=0
Old 11 October 2015, 14:47   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Vsync is also required. Without it would look extremely horrible.
Old 11 October 2015, 20:20   #3
Photon

Yep, generally does what it says on the tin and just 'fixes the motion blur' but the only way I could make flicker bearable was to set max monitor brightness which makes colors look wrong. It would be better to not have to change monitor settings, i.e. adapt a color curve for WinUAE, but the only way I think that could work would be to still max the monitor brightness.

With scanlines the eye could be made to mix pixel colors with the black scanlines again, but there's no x:x option to match them up to Amiga-pixel lines on my 2x Null Filter scaling. (All other modes look horrible with swimming pattern when things move or uneven scanline spacing). 1:1 works, but doesn't reduce pixel-blockiness ofc, and pic is even more dark.
Old 11 October 2015, 21:19   #4
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
Yep, generally does what it says on the tin and just 'fixes the motion blur' but the only way I could make flicker bearable was to set max monitor brightness which makes colors look wrong. It would be better to not have to change monitor settings, i.e. adapt a color curve for WinUAE, but the only way I think that could work would be to still max the monitor brightness.

With scanlines the eye could be made to mix pixel colors with the black scanlines again, but there's no x:x option to match them up to Amiga-pixel lines on my 2x Null Filter scaling. (All other modes look horrible with swimming pattern when things move or uneven scanline spacing). 1:1 works, but doesn't reduce pixel-blockiness ofc, and pic is even more dark.
I have read that some monitors who incorporate black frame retention natively actually do not display a completely black image but rather a lower intensity one so as to reduce the flickering.

Maybe that would work? But clearly that would require a bit of coding.

Another idea thrown out on the wall to see if it sticks: a scanline mode with the reduced intensity scan lines being switched every frame with the high intensity ones. Maybe there would not be too much flicker is the difference fence in intensity is not too high.

I was also thinking about exploiting the fact that your monitor can refresh at 120Hz but the only things I could think of implied acting once every five frames which might not work to alleviate the blur.

Not very useful but these ideas popped into my inner kitten's head after I read that thread so I thought someone might make better use of them than me.
Old 11 October 2015, 22:55   #5
spotUP

Have you enabled the light boost or strobe mode or whatever it is called on your monitor?
Old 12 October 2015, 00:48   #6
Photon

Spot: It's not a mode on/off, you set a combo of options in the monitor OSD menu, i.e. not optimal settings for PC gaming and desktop use for me. Don't want to do that every time I start an emu, so just the autoswitch to 50 Hz mode in emu fullscreen and correct settings outside emu will be my choice. But I can test and report back if the settings combo improves motion blur fix beyond black frame insertion, then you can know if it works. If you make dedicated emu setups you should be able to make these settings once and for all, so.

Edit: tested, and adding Lightstrobe (basically 3D mode+a view angle profile on my monitor) removes flicker without b0rking the color curve. It's OK pic brightness at 100% brightness, I would say you could use it. But scanlines makes the pic too dark. On screens with even higher element intensity (static contrast), it should be more than acceptable.

Last edited by Photon; 13 October 2015 at 00:22. Reason: denovelized.