English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 17 June 2014, 13:24   #341
Overmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaCoder View Post
It would only support compressed music playback in certain games (non-MIDI), for example Full Throttle. MIDI music in ScummVM is dynamically generated so you cannot simply record it and turn it into a compressed music file.
Doesn't CD/FMTowns-versions of these games av CD-audio for music, which can be compressed and used that way in ScummVM?
Old 17 June 2014, 13:30   #342
NovaCoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overmann View Post
Doesn't CD/FMTowns-versions of these games av CD-audio for music, which can be compressed and used that way in ScummVM?
CD Audio yes.....MIDI no

Quote:
4.2. Does ScummVM support using MP3/Ogg/FLAC files instead of CD audio?

Yes. You can use LAME or some other CD audio conversion utility to convert your CD audio to MP3. Since version 0.3.0 we also support Ogg Vorbis files, and FLAC is supported since version 0.7.0. See the README for more info.

4.3. Does ScummVM support using MP3/Ogg/FLAC files instead of the original MIDI music?

No. If all the game does is to play or loop a tune it would be possible, but many of the games do fancy stuff like smooth transitions from one tune to another, or turn individual instruments on and off, etc. There's simply no way ScummVM could take a piece of digital music and emulate that kind of behavior.

This question usually comes up in connection with Sam & Max Hit the Road (which has a few unused bonus audio tracks on the CD) and Monkey Island 2 (which is sometimes distributed on the same CD as the version of Monkey Island 1 that uses CD audio). Both of these games do far too much fancy stuff to even consider an idea like this.
http://scummvm.org/faq/#4_2
Old 17 June 2014, 13:49   #343
Overmann

Quote:
CD Audio yes.....MIDI no

http://scummvm.org/faq/#4_2
I see! iMuse and all that.. Shame!
Old 17 June 2014, 14:26   #344
ancalimon
Supernormal

Isn't there an Amiga soundcard with proper midi and soundbank? If there isn't I wonder why they never created such a card.
Old 17 June 2014, 15:08   #345
Amicol

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancalimon View Post
Isn't there an Amiga soundcard with proper midi and soundbank? If there isn't I wonder why they never created such a card.
You don't need one, there are plenty of midi interfaces for the Amiga
Old 17 June 2014, 15:30   #346
ancalimon
Supernormal

I have a midi interface (but no mt32). What I'm talking about is a sound card which can directly play midi using its own soundfonts.
Old 17 June 2014, 15:36   #347
Amicol

Quote:
I have a midi interface (but no mt32). What I'm talking about is a sound card which can directly play midi using its own soundfonts.
That would be nice, but until someone starts supporting midi out, there ain't a lot of point. There are some Sierra games, and that's it....
Old 17 June 2014, 15:48   #348
ancalimon
Supernormal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amicol View Post
That would be nice, but until someone starts supporting midi out, there ain't a lot of point. There are some Sierra games, and that's it....
No need for midi in and midi out. I don't want to plug anything midi related to the sound card. I just want it to have the ability to play midi files with a quality soundfont.

I remember trying Ultima 7 port (Exult) on my Amiga maybe around year 2000. It had midi support but it slowed down everything too much. If there was a way for the soundcard to play midi without using much of the cpu time, that would have been great.

Last edited by ancalimon; 17 June 2014 at 16:14.
Old 17 June 2014, 15:56   #349
Amicol

Quote:
No need for midi in and midi out. I don't want to plug anything midi related to the sound card. I just want it to have the ability to play midi plays with a quality soundfont.

I remember trying Ultima 7 port (Exult) on my Amiga maybe around year 2000. It had midi support but it slowed down everything too much. If there was a way for the soundcard to play midi without using much of the cpu time, that would have been great.
That would work for the later midi games, for SC and General midi, but MT32 relies on Sysex transfers to alter the sound fonts. Doom, Heretic etc would be ideal for this type of sound card, but not Monkey Island and the many other MT32 games.
Saying that, I would buy such a card
Old 17 June 2014, 16:17   #350
ancalimon
Supernormal

This was one of the weakest points of Amiga in my opinion. We needed midi support so that Paula could play soundfx while the midi part could play music. Many games simply played only music or only soundfx because of this. This needs to be fixed :P
Old 17 June 2014, 16:30   #351
Amicol

Quote:
This was one of the weakest points of Amiga in my opinion. We needed midi support so that Paula could play soundfx while the midi part could play music. Many games simply played only music or only soundfx because of this. This needs to be fixed :P
+1
Old 17 June 2014, 23:56   #352
Overmann

This might be silly, and I apologize for my, probably, apparent lack of technical knowledge, but:

Would it be possible to use something like a raspberry PI as a midi-instrument? If you send MIDI out from a device connected to the Amiga (Serialport MIDI like the PyrAmid) to the Raspberry, the raspberry should be able to, via a program that has a samplebank, play the samples back to a speaker..? The Amiga would just have to send the MIDIout and the raspberry would take care of the rest?

On a PC or MAC midi can be sent to programs like "Kontakt" which has all the samples necessary stored in library. Similar solutions exist for linux. One would need to set up custom soundbanks, but that would probably not be particularly hard, and RaspberryPI is very cheap.

Edit:
[ Show youtube player ]
Using Timidity on RaspberryPI AtariST.

Last edited by Overmann; 18 June 2014 at 00:27.
Old 18 June 2014, 02:17   #353
NovaCoder

No need to use a Raspberry, a MT32 will do it. Just need someone to add support to ScummVM 68k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofan View Post
I haven't heard of any game with buffer overflow (and less one that could be played on a miggy).

That MT32 has a good price, they are more expensive everytime. You will find some more for 100€ or more, so you won't have any problem if you need to resell it after a time, you would sell it better.

Nova you will also need a midi interface like this http://z-amigastore.com/index.php?op...ng=en&vmcchk=1 that is the same that I've got, the midi cable http://www.ebay.es/itm/5-Pin-Din-Mid...e317219&_uhb=1 and the thick audio cables that I think are these http://www.ebay.es/itm/1-5m-PULSE-2-...a4ce444&_uhb=1

please somebody tell me if I am wrong.

Edit: These are the audio selectors I use to buy if you -surely- need them (well, this is cheaper than mines): http://www.ebay.es/itm/AV-RCA-Select...f2d75c3&_uhb=1

Edit: Offtopic I've seen what do I need to connect it to a Pc [ Show youtube player ]
Old 18 June 2014, 02:33   #354
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Do you already have an MT32, mate? You are the main person to have it
Old 18 June 2014, 04:12   #355
NovaCoder

No not yet, I've spent all of money on loose women
Old 18 June 2014, 05:29   #356
matthey
Banned

Quote:
The Amiga CPU is efficient for doing Midi table look-ups, sound sample loading and sound mixing with a fast enough processor and hard drive. GMPlay works well as a software solution here. It would have been nice if there was a standard library system to handle the work (Midi datatype?). It would be even better if there was more cheap accelerators and fpga boards with enough performance to handle the data. While it's nice to offload processing to specialized hardware, a MIDI only playback card is kind of a waste, IMO, for how much it would be used and how much processing power it offloads.

Quote:
No need to use a Raspberry, a MT32 will do it. Just need someone to add support to ScummVM 68k.
A Raspberry Pi is much cheaper and can do more than Midi. It can decompress compressed sound files also, for example. Granted, it needs programming but it can do more for less cost. It has the potential to make a great Amiga Pi-ripheral .
Old 19 June 2014, 03:58   #357
ancalimon
Supernormal

Do you think it could be possible to somehow speed up Monkey Island (on a 060-50) by applying some kind of downsampling to graphics making them lowres?
Old 19 June 2014, 05:31   #358
NovaCoder

Quote:
Do you think it could be possible to somehow speed up Monkey Island (on a 060-50) by applying some kind of downsampling to graphics making them lowres?
@Ancalimon

Curse of Monkey Island required at least a Pentium @ 90Mhz when it was released, not so easy to match with 1985 hardware (even when you add an 060 accelerator!).

Graffiti support would have helped (Indivision Mrk2) but that doesn't look like it will ever happen now

I did a little experiment once with a 'resolution down-grader' using a 640x240 PAL screen. It didn't look too bad actually and was a bit faster than a real 640x480 screen.

Still slow on real hardware unfortunately

This how it currently runs on my 060 -> [ Show youtube player ]
Old 19 June 2014, 11:46   #359
Amicol

Quote:
Graffiti support would have helped (Indivision Mrk2) but that doesn't look like it will ever happen now
Why?
Old 28 June 2014, 02:08   #360
Overmann

I've been able to set up my PC to play MIDI sent from my amiga now, but I am unable to get ScummVM to send MIDI. Is there something particular I need to do in order to send MIDI from scummvm? Programs that use camd works well for me.