English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 02 April 2011, 21:26   #1
CritAnime

CUSA strikes again

So it seems the CUSA has somehow managed to get some advertisement leaflets into the new Tron Legacy boxes.

http://www.commodore-amiga.org/en/forum/2-welcome-mat/2214-commodore-usa-a-disney

And on the official partners page on the Tron site it even shows their logo.

Dunno if I feel saddened or angered the most. Either way it looks like this junk is now becoming more of a reality. But what do you guys think of this?

Also there seems to be no mention of any advertising outside the US. Which I count as a blessing. But all this is just my personal view.

Last edited by CritAnime; 02 April 2011 at 21:27. Reason: Made some silly spelling mistakes. My bad....
Old 02 April 2011, 22:33   #2
ImmortalA1000

And well very few people who saw the original would buy that film. And people who never saw Tron are too young to care about a Linux PC that looks like a C64 to run VICE on.

Obviously didn't think it through.
Old 02 April 2011, 22:44   #3
gilgamesh
Linux snob

Let's see if the product lives up to the hype.
Old 02 April 2011, 22:53   #4
CritAnime

I doubt it will live up to the hype. But if they have managed to score advertising with Disney then I suppose anything is possible.

But I am curious as to how they got the advertising. They claim that disney approached them. However I just cant see this.
Old 02 April 2011, 23:02   #5
gilgamesh
Linux snob

Considering the millions (or was it billions?) of advertisement funding, all this is hardly surprising.
Old 02 April 2011, 23:11   #6
CritAnime

I remember reading somewhere they had a 30 million dollar advertising budget. Then that got revised to 30 million budget over 5 years. This figure in it's self seems a little unbelievable. So he must be doing well selling his furniture. Or he bent over, lubed up and really let Satan have his way with him.

I suppose I should say good luck to them. But that's unlikely.
Old 02 April 2011, 23:24   #7
gilgamesh
Linux snob

We have to give Barry credits for doing a splendid job. He knows how to beat the drum.

What I would really like to know is, did he really license the Commodore name somewhere? If yes, where?
Old 02 April 2011, 23:46   #8
CritAnime

There is a lot of information about that on the commodore OS 5 thread. It's a shaky license. He basically had to drop the workbench and Amiga branding from the original name for the Linux distro he is working on. But as far as I can tell he is allowed to use the commodore name.
Old 02 April 2011, 23:56   #9
gilgamesh
Linux snob

AFAIR, that was about the Amiga and Workbench (c) coming from AINC. AINC has no rights over the Commodore name. That must have come from somewhere else.
Old 03 April 2011, 00:00   #10
CritAnime

There is info floating around. Because I know there was some court stuff going on. But at this point I am going to have to say my knowledge runs dry. So anything more about this will just be speculation on my part.

Maybe we should have the mods rename this thread to CUSA Strikes again. Just to keep things more open and on topic.
Old 03 April 2011, 12:03   #11
frank_b

God. Make it stop. I don't understand how anyone can be in favour of this.
It has nothing to do with the Amiga we all love. It's just embarrassing. Even more than the Os 4.x debacle. Just when you think Amiga Inc can't sink any lower....

Frank
Old 03 April 2011, 13:44   #12
Siggy999

Just a stab in the dark (and being on the other side of the pond, I forget a day forward, or a day backwards) - but what day was this advert 'discovered'?

Old 03 April 2011, 13:57   #13
Hewitson

They are basically worshipping these useless pieces of shit over at amiga.org. They're nothing short of an insult as far as I'm concerned.

Disgraceful.
Old 03 April 2011, 15:29   #14
Battlstarcanada
www.battlestarcanada.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
They are basically worshipping these useless pieces of shit over at amiga.org. They're nothing short of an insult as far as I'm concerned.

Disgraceful.
I'm kind of puzzled why Amiga people would care about an x86 box or tablet with the Commodore/Amiga name on it?. Run UAE on your x86 box and put an Amiga sticker on it and be done.
Old 03 April 2011, 17:25   #15
Paul_s

I would imagine it's because the original Tron (best version) and C64 were released on the same date...

http://www.tron-sector.com/forums/de...0395&fc=420547

Still a load of bollox! Like a rabid dog, CUSA need putting down if you ask me.
Old 03 April 2011, 17:59   #16
stevsurv
Beta 1.666

hmmmmm yeah..

just saw this ....

WHAT WE DO
Beautiful, High-Performance, Home Computers for Creativity and Entertainment

What does this mean? Read more to find out.

at...

http://www.commodoreusa.net/CUSA_Home.aspx

Old 03 April 2011, 18:05   #17
desiv

I really don't see what all the fuss is about...
They are trying to make money. They want to capitalize on the Commodore name.
They have a really nice looking case that they are going to put a PC in..
Commodore wasn't some idealized company in a creative computer wonderland.. (That would be Amiga)..
They were a ruthless company that would do anything to make money, and got lucky with the C64. An incredible product that they could undercut the competition with and control the market..
So, this new Commodore USA wants to make money off of the name? So would the old Commodore... I don't see a problem with that...
To be honest, I think it's VERY Commodore, and it almost feels like they are back. ;-)

Now, saying that.. I think it will probably fail..
It's a bad time to release "cute, custom PCs," with laptops, netbooks, tablets, even phones taking over....

So, my guess is, it will be a big deal, and then fail because even the people who remember Commodore fondly and aren't insulted, just won't feel they need one so much that they'll pay extra for it...

And we will be able to go on talking about how Commodore failed again..

It's all just like it was.. ;-)

desiv
Old 03 April 2011, 18:40   #18
frank_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by desiv View Post
I really don't see what all the fuss is about...

desiv

For me it's just offensive. Comparing the engineering which went into the C64 etc with label sticking and claiming any legitimacy just makes me want to hurl.
Old 03 April 2011, 22:29   #19
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
doesn't the new Tron have references to old speccy games on the score board in the disc battles? Sabre Wulf I think...
Old 03 April 2011, 23:04   #20
Mr B

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_b View Post
Comparing the engineering which went into the C64 etc with label sticking and claiming any legitimacy just makes me want to hurl.
Selecting the hardware that goes into the box you put your sticker on, and taking in to account the time those who designed that hardware spent on the design, and the research spent on developing the bits the hardware is built on, i'd say the new flavor has a lot more time under it's belt then the original C64. Claiming time spent on engineering to be a factor in all of this, is just not a working argument. Commodore didn't exactly spent the time developing every bit of the C64, they took what they could off the shelves, and slapped something together with the least effort they could.

The above is not a statement saying that i think this is a good product, i have no idea. I'm not getting one, thats for sure. I'm just commenting on what i see as a flawed argument.
B!