English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.UAE Wishlist

Old 31 January 2012, 04:40   #1
mc6809e

How about Native Client?

I found this today: http://www.naclbox.com

What they've done is recompiled DOSBox, a DOS emulator, into a Native Client app. This lets the DOS emulator run at nearly full speed in a web browser. There are several games available on the site for running.

My (obvious) wish is for a native client version of UAE.
Old 31 January 2012, 05:12   #2
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc6809e View Post
My (obvious) wish is for a native client version of UAE.
What about the Kickstart ROMs? They'd have to be included in this system, and that's not legal
Old 31 January 2012, 05:55   #3
Cammy

Thorham, it's time to step out from under your rock, WinUAE has a legal Kickstart replacement bundled with it already!

I think it would be fantastic to have an Amiga emulator browser plugin, we could develop new Amiga games and morons could play them online without having to cry about needing to install something and configure it.
Old 31 January 2012, 07:05   #4
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammy View Post
Thorham, it's time to step out from under your rock, WinUAE has a legal Kickstart replacement bundled with it already!
Thank you for calling me someone who lives under a rock just because I don't keep up with the development of software I don't use, and have no interest in. Greatly appreciated
Old 01 February 2012, 08:36   #5
Mequa

It would be especially good if PUAE could be ported to Google NaCl. Of course this would be great for Chromebooks.
Old 01 February 2012, 16:19   #6
P-J

Quote:
...and morons could play them online without having to cry about needing to install something and configure it.
Really endearing, that piece of elitism. Good going.
Old 01 February 2012, 17:16   #7
Peter
Still an Amiga user

Quote:
I think it would be fantastic to have an Amiga emulator browser plugin, we could develop new Amiga games and morons could play them online without having to cry about needing to install something and configure it.

I agree Cammy
Old 01 February 2012, 20:12   #8
Mequa

Hopefully this will be a push to get PUAE to boot with AROS ROM, so it can be ported to Chrome Native Client.

It should be possible to do this with E-UAE already, which works with AROS ROM on Linux, however I know the likes of UAE4ALL do not support AROS ROM, which rules out a quick-and-dirty port of UAE4ALL to NaCl.
Old 02 February 2012, 08:52   #9
Cammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-J View Post
Thanks!
Old 02 February 2012, 09:47   #10
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-J View Post
Indeed. Another example is her reply to my post. Quite uncalled for.
Old 02 February 2012, 10:32   #11
Cammy

Thorham, you chose to take offense over a playful little joke, I didn't mean any disrespect. It was just my cheeky way of reminding you about the Aros Kickstart replacement project which has been going on for several years now. But you can join the hate club with P-J here if you want, that's your choice too.
Old 02 February 2012, 10:44   #12
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
But you can join the hate club with P-J here if you want, that's your choice too.
That's not necessary. Perhaps I took offense too easily.
Old 02 February 2012, 11:41   #13
P-J

Quote:
Thorham, you chose to take offense over a playful little joke, I didn't mean any disrespect. It was just my cheeky way of reminding you about the Aros Kickstart replacement project which has been going on for several years now. But you can join the hate club with P-J here if you want, that's your choice too.
I don't know where you got the idea I hate you, I just saw your post out of my eyes and it read as elitist. Calling people who can't operate WinUAE morons got my back up. In fact one or two people at work here have asked me for help with it before, and they've got programming & hardware chops a lot of people here could only dream of (including me).

All I'm saying is I didn't like the rash generalisation, but to suggest I 'hate' you is extremely far-fetched. I barely even know you.
Old 02 February 2012, 11:49   #14
MrCheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorham View Post
Thank you for calling me someone who lives under a rock just because I don't keep up with the development of software I don't use, and have no interest in. Greatly appreciated
I find it amusing that you take umbrage with someone for telling you something and then state "I have no interest in" said subject. Why post if you have no interest?
Old 02 February 2012, 12:49   #15
Mequa

I'm not a mod here, but please refrain from personal attacks (not aimed at any one in particular), this is EAB not /b/, and the topic is UAE on Native Client.
Old 02 February 2012, 13:08   #16
Cammy

P-J, you also chose to take what I said the wrong way. I wasn't calling you or the guys you work with morons, I was simply stating that an Amiga emulator in a browser would be easier for morons to use and they wouldn't have to complain about setting anything up. If I said a new flavour of icecream would be popular with children, I wouldn't be implying that anyone who enjoys it is necessarily a child.
Old 02 February 2012, 13:41   #17
pmc
gone

I don't think the issue was with who you were calling morons so much as that arbitrarily calling any group of people morons was viewed as uncalled for and offensive.

I found your choice of words unfortunate too, and no, disagreeing with you does not mean I hate you.
Old 02 February 2012, 14:02   #18
Bamiga2002
BlizzardPPC'less

Send a message via MSN to Bamiga2002
Nah Cammy's comment was meant to be a silly joke nothing more. I LOLed at it and don't think it's an elitist comment. So why take it too seriously, just laugh at it people are sometimes so cranky and un-humorous...

EDIT: I think this reaction comes close to the reason why noone has joined my Blizzard PPC elite club yet..
Old 02 February 2012, 15:24   #19
Graham Humphrey

And now can we please get back on-topic, thank you.
Old 04 February 2012, 21:07   #20
Mequa

Smile Accessible emulation

This fighting on EAB is quite sad to see. On-topic though, this is a good idea to make Amiga emulation more accessible.

Personally, I have been skilled at computers from a young age and am a member of a well-known high IQ society. I am not without a tinge of elitism myself. Yet making computers more accessible to the "uninitiated" is an absolute boon in today's society. Apple made an enormous fortune doing exactly that, both with their Macintosh range and current iPads. Amiga itself had its role there back in the day. The fact that my non-tech-savvy 15-year-old sister happily uses Ubuntu on her laptop shows how free software can also be accessible to all. (Who would have thought back in the 1990s that "nerdy" Linux would one day be suitable for that?)

I created the AMOS for Windows installer so people with no experience in using an emulator can get AMOS up and running on their Windows PC with just a few clicks. A small amount of work by myself (and an enormous amount by Toni et al.) leading to Amiga emulation becoming more accessible for many people. The concept of UAE on Chrome Native Client is an extension of the same basic philosophical idea.

While skill in computers is a highly valued commodity today, so is making them more accessible to absolute beginners. Many former Amiga users have not touched an Amiga in many years, and would love to be able to effortlessly relive their youth at the click of a button. Devices like iPads and Chromebooks sell precisely because they take the traditional stress and work out of operating a computer. An Amiga emulator in a web browser coupled with non-intrusive ads is also likely to be a rich source of advertising revenue. It's a win-win situation for all.

Now onto the technical work of actually porting UAE/PUAE to NaCl. Any takers?