English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 13 January 2008, 20:02   #1
paranoid
Phone Zen

Fame Bbs

I've overcome a few problems getting FAME going, like conferences (you seem to only get one shot at making them), the horribly complicated access levels, and even got it so I can telnet from Windows into WinUAE and "call" the board (just manually type in telnetd.device instead of serial.device, with telnetd.device put in l: ).. But I've run into a real problem..

I've got the filelistings and files from a couple BBS backups (links posted here in some other thread) but how can I get those recognized in a conference in FAME?

As an aside, even if the file-checker worked (another problem, but not as major) and I locally uploaded them, it's several gigs and would still be a TON of manual adding descriptions even if 90% had file_id.diz's.
Old 18 January 2008, 01:17   #2
paranoid
Phone Zen

For all none of you interested... A little update... I gave up on FAME for a lack of being able to get even filelistings working. Even after getting a hold of someone that has a good grasp of FAME, it seemed there was something beyond hope. Though, having said that, getting it to use telnetd.device never was a problem.

I switched to AmiExpress, and once used to it, got it set up with little problem, though telnetd.device would connect, but not work. This I finally fixed by adding 'pacerate' to the conf so my AmiTCP:db/telnetd-device.conf reads "23 3 pacerate 19200 255.255.255.255" (port 23, 3 total connections, slow down for amiexpress to 19200 baud, let all ips connect)

So although I can't actually get the BBS accessible to the outside world, it's at least possible to call AmiExpress under WinUAE via telnet.
Old 18 January 2008, 08:59   #3
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Well as an ex-sysop I'd be interested to know how you got on and to connect in due course.. I never quite got around to re-activating my BBS (yet!)
Old 18 January 2008, 16:33   #4
paranoid
Phone Zen

If I don't type this up now, I'll probably forget more. (I'll probably forget something already..)

On the WinUAE side of things, I imagine just bsdsocket.library needs to be checked. Though, other stuff like JIT and a ton of memory, etc etc are probably advisable if not needed.

With AmigaDOS, you need telnetd.device in devs: (the one I'm using reports version 1.-1..) Pretty sure it was from the amitcp.lha archive elsewhere on the forum. There's a shareware version on Aminet, and that one isn't it.. I'll attach it to this message. You also (probably) need to mount the fifo-handler (38.4 is on Aminet, though isn't that just a part of AmigaDOS? Huh.. anyhoo...)

telnetd.device needs to be configured with the file AmiTCP:db/telnetd-device.conf with the line "x y pacerate 19200 255.255.255.255" (assuming you want to allow all (255.255.255.255) ips access...) x is the port (telnet is 23) and y is the number of connections. (I haven't tested past 3, but more might work..) pacerate is important for AmiExpress running on a fast WinUAE. It doesn't seem necessary on (some) real Amiga(s). (I know of a guy running AmiX on a real Amiga and doesn't need it..)

AmiExpress just needs node(x)/serial/internal_unit.def tooltypes to be: serial.device=telnetd.device serial.baud=19200 serial.unit=x (x being node0, serial.unit=0; node1 serial.unit=1 etc) node(x)/modem/modem.def tooltypes: modem.init=ATM0S0=0 modem.reset=ATZ modem.ring=RING modem.answer=ATA modem.offhook=ATH1M0 These are important because telnetd.device 'emulates' a modem with those Hayse commands.. And why pacerate is needed.. It sends a fast, unending string of 'RING <date>' over and over.. AmiExpress sends ATA because of the 'RING' etc.. Without pacerate, on a fast Amiga/WinUAE it goes so fast it clogs AmiExpress which just drops connection.. (my theory anyway).

Note: internal_unit.def and modem.def can actually be named anything. AmiExpress just finds whatever file is in node(x)/modem or /serial

For zmodem, I didn't do anything in AmiExpress just defaults, though only two Windows term programs would work, one was shareware, the other is mTelnet here: http://ozone.eesc.com/ TeraTerm for Windows wouldn't work, perhaps because it doesn't support automatic zmodem. I'd then just connect to 192.168.1.2 (my Window's IP address) Considering that works, I don't see why an outside connection wouldn't..
Attached Files
File Type: lha ax_telnd.lha (98.4 KB, 504 views)
Old 07 March 2008, 16:56   #5
dIGIMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoid View Post
If I don't type this up now, I'll probably forget more. (I'll probably forget something already..)

On the WinUAE side of things, I imagine just bsdsocket.library needs to be checked. Though, other stuff like JIT and a ton of memory, etc etc are probably advisable if not needed.

With AmigaDOS, you need telnetd.device in devs: (the one I'm using reports version 1.-1..) Pretty sure it was from the amitcp.lha archive elsewhere on the forum. There's a shareware version on Aminet, and that one isn't it.. I'll attach it to this message. You also (probably) need to mount the fifo-handler (38.4 is on Aminet, though isn't that just a part of AmigaDOS? Huh.. anyhoo...)

telnetd.device needs to be configured with the file AmiTCP:db/telnetd-device.conf with the line "x y pacerate 19200 255.255.255.255" (assuming you want to allow all (255.255.255.255) ips access...) x is the port (telnet is 23) and y is the number of connections. (I haven't tested past 3, but more might work..) pacerate is important for AmiExpress running on a fast WinUAE. It doesn't seem necessary on (some) real Amiga(s). (I know of a guy running AmiX on a real Amiga and doesn't need it..)

AmiExpress just needs node(x)/serial/internal_unit.def tooltypes to be: serial.device=telnetd.device serial.baud=19200 serial.unit=x (x being node0, serial.unit=0; node1 serial.unit=1 etc) node(x)/modem/modem.def tooltypes: modem.init=ATM0S0=0 modem.reset=ATZ modem.ring=RING modem.answer=ATA modem.offhook=ATH1M0 These are important because telnetd.device 'emulates' a modem with those Hayse commands.. And why pacerate is needed.. It sends a fast, unending string of 'RING <date>' over and over.. AmiExpress sends ATA because of the 'RING' etc.. Without pacerate, on a fast Amiga/WinUAE it goes so fast it clogs AmiExpress which just drops connection.. (my theory anyway).

Note: internal_unit.def and modem.def can actually be named anything. AmiExpress just finds whatever file is in node(x)/modem or /serial

For zmodem, I didn't do anything in AmiExpress just defaults, though only two Windows term programs would work, one was shareware, the other is mTelnet here: http://ozone.eesc.com/ TeraTerm for Windows wouldn't work, perhaps because it doesn't support automatic zmodem. I'd then just connect to 192.168.1.2 (my Window's IP address) Considering that works, I don't see why an outside connection wouldn't..

Did you set the nat rules on ur firewall?
If you can telnet to ur amiga(emu) inside ur lan (tried localhost?), then it must be NAT.

Btw, u should use fame (i do), as it supports 64bit adressing, which can be helpfull.
I also was a /X fanatic 4 years but switch because of this reason.

Old 24 November 2008, 05:13   #6
netsurge

I gave up on FAME and Ami/X and settled for Zeus. It's still being sold and supported and has the most features you could find for an Amiga based bbs. Check it out for yourself. telnet://miserybbs.com