English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 19 August 2018, 11:23   #1
AChristian

serious amiga software in shops?

Does anyone remember seeing serious amiga software sold in shops? e.g. word processors

and do you remember the prices?
Old 19 August 2018, 11:49   #2
-Acid-

All I remember seeing is the popular basic programming packages Amos and Blitz Basic in shops which sold Amiga software (mostly Game, EB, WHSmith's etc) and they weren't much more than the most expensive games were iirc.
Old 19 August 2018, 12:24   #3
davideo
Amiga Tomcat

I bought most of my serious software from on-line - yes even in those days.

The only piece of serious software I can remember buying from a shop was "Presentation Master"
Old 19 August 2018, 13:16   #4
trixster
Guru Meditating

Our main independent computer shops in Sheffield were Just Micro and Gemsoft. Both carried serious amiga software of all types.
Old 19 August 2018, 18:44   #5
Daedalus

Yeah, the only one I remember in my local shop in Dublin (Electronics Boutique) was Blitz Basic, which I bought. Can't remember the price...

There was an Amiga shop in Berlin after that time that had a lot of serious software on the shelves. I bought OS 3.9 from them, I think it was the summer of 2000. Can't remember what other software they had, but they also had a lot of hardware.
Old 19 August 2018, 19:34   #6
Marle
Pixel Vixen

Yep same here, EB stocked Blitz but I think that's because in the latter years of the Amiga Guildhall Leisure had a tie up with EB to supply games and I think Guildhall's only serious bit of software was Blitz.

That said in the early 90s I did see serious software at a local small independent computer store (when I say small, it was the only one in town and pretty much the only place in North Devon of any real note computer store wise, apart from WHSmiths, Boots and John Menzies selling games) and there were the odd bits of serious Amiga software there, I remember seeing Mini Office, Fun School, Music X and Maxiplan, there may have been others but that's what I remember.
Old 11 September 2018, 21:12   #7
volvo_0ne

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixster View Post
Our main independent computer shops in Sheffield were Just Micro and Gemsoft. Both carried serious amiga software of all types.
Ahhhh Gemsoft, they were my first ISP

Good shop that was
Old 11 September 2018, 22:48   #8
blakstar

Most of the Amiga stuff I recall seeing in local shops was game-related, although I do believe I bought a copy of AMOS from a local shop.

Much of my serious stuff was bought via mail order though, such as MetaComco Pascal, HiSoft Assembler, and Wordworth -- I think much of it came from Silica Shop, in Sidcup, Kent.
Old 11 September 2018, 23:45   #9
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

I can remember I bought Blitz Basic 2.1 around 1995 from my local computer store and it was around £25.00
Old 12 September 2018, 22:30   #10
kamelito
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
Yeah, the only one I remember in my local shop in Dublin (Electronics Boutique) was Blitz Basic, which I bought. Can't remember the price...

There was an Amiga shop in Berlin after that time that had a lot of serious software on the shelves. I bought OS 3.9 from them, I think it was the summer of 2000. Can't remember what other software they had, but they also had a lot of hardware.
Dawson street?
Old 13 September 2018, 10:21   #11
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamelito View Post
Dawson street?
Yes, that's the one! The downstairs was dedicated to the mainstream stuff, SNES (or maybe N64 was out at that stage?), Saturn and Playstation IIRC, and upstairs has the older stuff, Megadrive, Game Gear, Game Boy and Amiga.
Old 13 September 2018, 14:31   #12
haynor666
retro maniac

Hardly remember any original games in Poland, not to mention software. Usually new software ath that time was around even 50 GBP.
Old 13 September 2018, 19:03   #13
desiv

I bought my copy of WordPerfect for the Amiga in a shop back in the day, but to be fair, that was the University bookstore when I bought my Amiga and they only had productivity software. They were selling AMax as well, as there were a LOT of Macs at that school.

desiv
Old 13 September 2018, 20:43   #14
radfoo

Unable to remember prices, stuff like that I bought at the 16-bit computer show in London, was usually heavily discounted. Did often go and browse around Gordon Harwoods in Alfreton but don't think I ever bought anything from them, miss having a potter around those type of shops, don't think anything like that exists anymore (probably because people like me didn't but anything, lol)
Old 14 September 2018, 07:41   #15
Retro_71

I can only remember buying Amos in the early-mid nineties in Sydney. Can't really remember what date i do know it was at the bottom of center point tower (the shop that is)
Old 14 September 2018, 11:28   #16
Paul_s

Yes, got my copy of Final Copy IIB from my local store. I think it was around £70 back in the day (if not a little more).

Remember seeing Wordworth and a few other pro music-type applications
Old 14 September 2018, 11:43   #17
demolition
Unregistered User

You could find applications and development tools in most shops here that sold Amiga hardware, however the amount was generally quite lacking. If you were looking for something specific chances are that they did not have it in stock but they could get it in a matter of days by ordering from the distributor. I think though that most of that stuff were sold through post order services which advertised in the big magazines.

Many shops did however have a rotating stand with budget software (office, drawing etc.) targeted the novice consumer who did not require advanced features. Here in Denmark I remember software like AlphaSpread from Interactivision being sold that way.

People using the advanced software packages were probably a lot more picky about what they needed, so it would probably not be feasible for the small shop around the corner to carry everything to cater those people.