English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.CD32 Conversion

Old 07 September 2014, 22:50   #81
earok

Cheers Boo Boo. It might be possible to have save files for every level, or at least every few levels, but I think it might get complicated with there being three level streams which I think can be played independently.

I didn't realise before but Lemmings 3 has a level select cheat, maybe I can do something with that, I'll investigate.

@iXien Don't worry - SlamTilt CD32 is coming this month and features full joypad support (using Psygore's slave).
Old 08 September 2014, 08:46   #82
iXien

You're my hero !
Old 08 September 2014, 09:03   #83
earok

@booboo I gave jst a try but no luck I'm afraid it crashes on me either immediately, or during the dma screen, or after the copy protection screen.

As it transpires the save game format for lemmings 3 is incredibly simple, so I'll chuck in a fully unlocked save on a future update.
Old 08 September 2014, 11:09   #84
earok

Dune II

Old 08 September 2014, 11:29   #85
iXien

I definitly need help to understand where is the interest to play a game designed to use a save system if this one isn't available...
Old 08 September 2014, 11:40   #86
earok

You can still have a lot of fun playing a game from the start, even if you can't make permanent saves (you can make temporary ones in this, which will stick so long as the console is powered on, also there's three late-game saves included). It's not a ideal scenario but none the less I thought bringing one of the best games on Amiga to the CD32 is a worthwhile effort.

Maybe someday I'll get around to playing through and creating save files for every level for the three houses, which will almost completely negate the need to have permanent saves at all.
Old 08 September 2014, 12:12   #87
iXien

do not get me wrong on my comments, I really understand your objective. But for me, a game is played to be finished, not just to play the first levels and go to another.

There is so many games that can work on CD32 without the use of saves. I just think games that need saves should wait untill a solution is found.

I really love to play Uridium 2 and Virocop on RGCD unoffical releases. They just need a keyboard. Every one can play them on CD32 with a Lyra adapter and a low cost PC keyboard

Worms Director's Cut should be nice on CD32 with its native CD32 joypad support, even if we can't save stats and teams
Old 08 September 2014, 12:53   #88
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by iXien View Post
I definitly need help to understand where is the interest to play a game designed to use a save system if this one isn't available...
Hey, my uncle used to leave his A500 on for days / weeks, so he could continue playing games.
Only Amiga Makes It Possible, .
Old 08 September 2014, 15:27   #89
iXien

@FOL And then they invented saves. Personally, I don't want to leave my 20 years old CD32 powered on 24 hours a day nowadays
Old 08 September 2014, 15:32   #90
Telemachus

Hi Earok

will it be possible to get bmx simulator working with a joypad? the game amiga dos. )
Old 08 September 2014, 15:42   #91
ma693541
Computer Wizard

How about a CD32 compilation of the various Tetris games around for the Amiga?
Old 08 September 2014, 16:07   #92
iXien

Am I the only one thinking it's time to give our dear CD32 the opportunity to launch games that do it justice rather than the oldest and littlest ECS games, a problem which has already harmed it 20 years ago (how nice to play Jambala on a AGA 68020 based AMIGA ) ?
Old 08 September 2014, 16:30   #93
Amigajay

Quote:
Originally Posted by iXien View Post
Am I the only one thinking it's time to give our dear CD32 the opportunity to launch games that do it justice rather than the oldest and littlest ECS games, a problem which has already harmed it 20 years ago (how nice to play Jambala on a AGA 68020 based AMIGA ) ?
No of course not, but he has already been said alot of AGA games have problems with slaves and memory shortages, its not that he doesn't want to do them.

There's plenty of ways to play AGA games on the CD32 via floppy drives, CF cards etc

I think its time to get over the fact the CD32 was underused and just enjoy the best games the Amiga had to offer (we all know the OCS chipset had 10x the great games the AGA set did)

@earok
Loving the work on Flashback with added intro, control screens and level select screens! More games like this IMO!
btw should have added Dune to Dune II disc!
Old 08 September 2014, 17:53   #94
iXien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigajay View Post
No of course not, but he has already been said
There's plenty of ways to play AGA games on the CD32 via floppy drives, CF cards etc
I'm sure you know it is not so simple. I already have a fWSI floppy drive and it is not a good solution because the hardware is very weird and a lot of AGA or ECS games crash while reading files (but fortunately Slam Tilt works). And how to use CF cards on CD32 when the only expansion cards that permit to add HDD are very rare and sold more than 200£ ?

The only real effective option to play games on CD32 is its CD-ROM drive, so earok initiative is very welcome !

But for less price than a CD32, you can have a compact A600 (less cumbersome than a A1200) with CF-HDD and expanded RAM to launch tons of ECS games.

If we use the CD32 to play ECS games, it must taking advantage of the 68020 power like with Ruff'n Tumble that is wonderful but sometimes slowdowns on a simple A500. It uses passwords and the WHDLoad installer permits to use the second button to jump ! The perfect ECS game to enjoy on CD32, comfortably in a chair!
Old 08 September 2014, 19:39   #95
Amiga1992

I have to say I prefer my CD32 a LOT more for playing games than my A600 or A1200. So properly ported, with proper loader, games would be a most welcome addition.

Then there's Kipper and Stedy's efforts to make a liittle CF+RAM expansion fo rthe CD32 and then I'll have the ultimate Amiga gaming machine and can forget about the CD ROM
Old 08 September 2014, 19:58   #96
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by earok View Post
I might write a basic C# utility for Windows to automate the process.
Yes, if you can, this is a thing that community should enjoying.
Old 08 September 2014, 21:40   #97
iXien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
I have to say I prefer my CD32 a LOT more for playing games than my A600 or A1200. So properly ported, with proper loader, games would be a most welcome addition.
You're right. I've got a custom CDTV and I of course prefer to play my ECS games from this one with my wireless keyboard/mouse/pad than with a huge kitsch A500. Ergonomy adaptation is sometimes a problem but connect a wireless mouse (with Coccolino or Micromys) and a wireless keyboard (with Lyra adapter) isn't really expensive. I think the real problem is the impossibility to save in adventure and RPG/RTS games. Play Cruse for a corpse with a 68020 and 2Mb RAM is interesting, but not if you can't save

Quote:
Then there's Kipper and Stedy's efforts to make a liittle CF+RAM expansion for the CD32 and then I'll have the ultimate Amiga gaming machine and can forget about the CD ROM
Hey, any informations about that ? It should be awesome !!!!!!!
Old 08 September 2014, 22:36   #98
earok

@Telemachus I think I gave that a try in the past and it didn't work. I might revisit it sometime.

@ma693541 Sounds like a good idea for future, do you have any specific suggestions?

@Amigajay Maybe we can add Dune I as a bonus for the 1.1 release! I've hesitated trying to bring that to the CD32 mainly because a mouse is definitely required. A trailer for the David Lynch film as an intro might work well

We certainly haven't forgotten the AGA chipset, I know we've only done one AGA game so far (Lemmings 3) but in fact more than half of the releases left are either AGA or feature AGA games.
Old 08 September 2014, 22:50   #99
ma693541
Computer Wizard

Take the original Tetris game for the Amiga as the main game and let it clones follow afterwards on the same ISO image. Even put in the ISO the adult game "Sextris" and mark that game as adult, (Use "Sextris" on the ISO image only if its allowed by the community here at EAB.)
Old 08 September 2014, 23:11   #100
gazj82

I really don't care if they are ECS games as long as they are good. For me it is going to be having them all on display in DVD cases (with the artwork!) on my shelf at the end.