English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.MAGE

Old 24 November 2009, 08:29   #1
ruffian

WinUAE and Gamebase help needed, please

I've set the paths in gamebase to winuae and the games directory. When i scan the games directory with gamebase there are no matches for my zipped adfs. Is this because (I think) they are in TOSEC format? Do I need to import romcenter data files?

I can understand how to edit gamebase to the zips I actually have, but do i need some data file that, when clicking 'play' in gamebase, configures winuae to the amiga spec to play that particular game?

Or is that what it is trying to do when i click play? And then displaying 'you need <> rom' if its anything other than the last configuration i had in winuae?

I have the kickstart roms in the winuae directory and 1.3 is named 'kick.rom' so how is it possible to automatically switch to other specs if you can only have one of the kickstarts as 'kick.rom'. The others are currently named kick2.rom, kick3.rom, something like that.

I'm sorry if I haven't clearly explained the problems I'm having. I've read the documentation that comes with gamebase/gamebase amiga and the post setup guide but I'm still pretty confused. Any help appreciated!
Old 24 November 2009, 10:14   #2
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffian View Post
I've set the paths in gamebase to winuae and the games directory. When i scan the games directory with gamebase there are no matches for my zipped adfs. Is this because (I think) they are in TOSEC format? Do I need to import romcenter data files?
Yes, Gamebase has its own format. You will indeed need a .dat file to 'convert' the TOSEC file names. Couldn't find it for now, but will report back once I found it (or you have found a 'full-set'... )

Quote:
I can understand how to edit gamebase to the zips I actually have, but do i need some data file that, when clicking 'play' in gamebase, configures winuae to the amiga spec to play that particular game?
GB Amiga comes with two WinUAE config files : GameBase Amiga.uae and WHDLoad.uae. When you start a game, GB Amiga make a (temp) copy of the config and modifies it by using the GEMUS script data for the game. So no need to set anything in WinUAE.

Quote:
I have the kickstart roms in the winuae directory and 1.3 is named 'kick.rom' so how is it possible to automatically switch to other specs if you can only have one of the kickstarts as 'kick.rom'. The others are currently named kick2.rom, kick3.rom, something like that.
When your kickstart roms are detected in WinUAE, they will also work for GB Amiga
Old 24 November 2009, 10:27   #3
ruffian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Yes, Gamebase has its own format. You will indeed need a .dat file to 'convert' the TOSEC file names. Couldn't find it for now, but will report back once I found it (or you have found a 'full-set'... )

GB Amiga comes with two WinUAE config files : GameBase Amiga.uae and WHDLoad.uae. When you start a game, GB Amiga make a (temp) copy of the config and modifies it by using the GEMUS script data for the game. So no need to set anything in WinUAE.

When your kickstart roms are detected in WinUAE, they will also work for GB Amiga
I need to import a .dat file into gamebase using the gamebase toolkit? Yes, please let me know where I can get this file.

When i select a game in gamebase, it fires up Winue but if, for example, if I was playing an ECS game but want to play an AGA game, I have to manually switch for another setup . Unless I haven't setup winuae correctly?

If i scan roms in winuae it only reports the one which i have selected in the main rom as being available. I don't understand how you configure it for switching between the different kickstarts..I think.
Old 24 November 2009, 10:35   #4
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
I need to import a .dat file into gamebase using the gamebase toolkit? Yes, please let me know where I can get this file.
No, you'll need to convert them using ClrMamePro or RomCenter (never used RomCenter, but it should work).

Quote:
When i select a game in gamebase, it fires up Winue but if, for example, if I was playing an ECS game but want to play an AGA game, I have to manually switch for another setup . Unless I haven't setup winuae correctly?
GB Amiga will adjust the config like I said. If that doesn't work for you there's something wrong. You need to start each game from the GB frontend for it to work of course.

Quote:
If i scan roms in winuae it only reports the one which i have selected in the main rom as being available. I don't understand how you configure it for switching between the different kickstarts..I think.
Then you're missing the correct kickstarts. WinUAE doesn't scan for names, just the checksums of the kickstarts. So if you have the correct files, it doesn't matter how they are named
Old 24 November 2009, 10:52   #5
ruffian

Quote:
No, you'll need to convert them using ClrMamePro or RomCenter (never used RomCenter, but it should work).

GB Amiga will adjust the config like I said. If that doesn't work for you there's something wrong. You need to start each game from the GB frontend for it to work of course.

Then you're missing the correct kickstarts. WinUAE doesn't scan for names, just the checksums of the kickstarts. So if you have the correct files, it doesn't matter how they are named
How would i actually convert the filenames using ClrMamePro or RomCenter? Am i replacing the default listing in gamebase amiga?

I don't think i have any incorrect kickstarts, i did come to the conclusion it doesn't matter what they are named, (though i did think one of them had to be called kick.rom). I've played ECS, AGA games using the kickstarts when i was manually configuring before hearing about gamebase. To give an example - there were no matches as I said between the database in gamebase and the few zipped adfs I have, so i edited the details of a particualr game name in gamebase to match the version i have in winuae game directory. But when i click to play the game, Death Mask I think it was, a msg comes up with you need <a different kickstart> and i probably got the 1.3 insert disk icon appearing, because thats what winuae is currently set to. So i'm not able to launch automatically until i change the workbench ROM in winuae. If i do a rom scan in winuae it will report that i have A500, A500+ kickstart and the others unavailable, but if i change the main rom to kick3.rom for exapme it would report that i have that kickstart available and not the others. How do i set it so it scans and reports all available.

Unless as you say i have incorrect kickstarts...?

Totally confused!! Sorry.
Old 24 November 2009, 11:03   #6
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Totally confused!! Sorry.
Yeah, me too

Quote:
How would i actually convert the filenames using ClrMamePro or RomCenter? Am i replacing the default listing in gamebase amiga?
No, your TOSEC named zips have to be renamed to use them in GB Amiga. ClrMamePro will do that for you once you have the correct dat file. You can also google for a full-set of games for GB Amiga 1.6 (maybe the easier way).

Quote:
I don't think i have any incorrect kickstarts, i did come to the conclusion it doesn't matter what they are named, (though i did think one of them had to be called kick.rom). I've played ECS, AGA games using the kickstarts when i was manually configuring before hearing about gamebase. To give an example - there were no matches as I said between the database in gamebase and the few zipped adfs I have, so i edited the details of a particualr game name in gamebase to match the version i have in winuae game directory. But when i click to play the game, Death Mask I think it was, a msg comes up with you need <a different kickstart> and i probably got the 1.3 insert disk icon appearing, because thats what winuae is currently set to. So i'm not able to launch automatically until i change the workbench ROM in winuae. If i do a rom scan in winuae it will report that i have A500, A500+ kickstart and the others unavailable, but if i change the main rom to kick3.rom for exapme it would report that i have that kickstart available and not the others. How do i set it so it scans and reports all available.

Unless as you say i have incorrect kickstarts...?
I wouldn't change the file names in GB Amiga. Actually I have no idea if that will work.
If you have all kickstart images in one folder and scan them with WinUAE, it should detect all versions that you have. Seems like you'e missing some versions then (you'll at least need A1200 for the AGA games).
Old 24 November 2009, 11:10   #7
ruffian

Quote:
Yeah, me too

No, your TOSEC named zips have to be renamed to use them in GB Amiga. ClrMamePro will do that for you once you have the correct dat file. You can also google for a full-set of games for GB Amiga 1.6 (maybe the easier way).

I wouldn't change the file names in GB Amiga. Actually I have no idea if that will work.
If you have all kickstart images in one folder and scan them with WinUAE, it should detect all versions that you have. Seems like you'e missing some versions then (you'll at least need A1200 for the AGA games).
I think I have a full TOSEC set on dvd, no dvd drive yet.

My kickstart roms are in the root directory in WinUAE. I have played AGA games as I have kickstart 3.1. Is it something to do with quickstart settings in winuae which is probably set most of the time to basic A500?

What's the extended rom management for?

This is all driving me nuts, you too probably! Apologies!
Old 24 November 2009, 11:21   #8
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
My kickstart roms are in the root directory in WinUAE. I have played AGA games as I have kickstart 3.1. Is it something to do with quickstart settings in winuae which is probably set most of the time to basic A500?
Let's seperate the two things at first
GB Amiga uses its own configs and isn't affected by your last WinUAE settings.
You need to have the the roms 'detected' with 'Rescan ROMs' on the 'Paths' panel for them to work with GB Amiga.
On the EAB file server (http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=43633) in the folder 'Games/GameBase Amiga' you can find a very limited amount of games that are renamed correctly. Try one of those with GB Amiga to see if it works at all.
Old 24 November 2009, 11:37   #9
ruffian

Quote:
Let's seperate the two things at first
GB Amiga uses its own configs and isn't affected by your last WinUAE settings.
You need to have the the roms 'detected' with 'Rescan ROMs' on the 'Paths' panel for them to work with GB Amiga.
On the EAB file server (http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=43633) in the folder 'Games/GameBase Amiga' you can find a very limited amount of games that are renamed correctly. Try one of those with GB Amiga to see if it works at all.
I'm there, so for example Yo!Joe!_Disk1.zip

if i had a TOSEC anmed version of that and rename it to above and rescan i should find 1 game found in gamebase amiga? And pressing play should configure WinUAE with no pop up msg regarding particular kickstarts?
Old 24 November 2009, 11:42   #10
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
if i had a TOSEC anmed version of that and rename it to above and rescan i should find 1 game found in gamebase amiga? And pressing play should configure WinUAE with no pop up msg regarding particular kickstarts?
It should when you have both disks and they are in a 'Y' subfolder of the path you set for the games (not 100% sure about that though). And yes, once your kickstarts are shown as available, it should simply start.
Once Belgareth shows up I'll send him your way He should be able to answer your questions far better than I can
Old 24 November 2009, 11:53   #11
ruffian

Quote:
It should when you have both disks and they are in a 'Y' subfolder of the path you set for the games (not 100% sure about that though). And yes, once your kickstarts are shown as available, it should simply start.
Once Belgareth shows up I'll send him your way He should be able to answer your questions far better than I can
Thanks. Well, they are just in a general games directory and not alphabetised but I don't think theres a problem scanning a general games directory. Yes, i will get both Joe disks and rename and rescan. Hopefully Belgareth will be able to help too as you suggest. I still think there's something I'm missing though! I'm sure you will agree!
Old 24 November 2009, 11:58   #12
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
I still think there's something I'm missing though! I'm sure you will agree!
Yes, and I don't know what it is Let's hope help arrives soon
Old 24 November 2009, 14:38   #13
Belgarath
HOL Team Member

This thread hurt my head

Anyway I've uploaded Dat - GameBase Amiga - Games (v1.6).zip to the zone

I think elowar forgot about this file when the server crashed.

Use the dat in clrmamepro, use it to rebuild your adfs to your gb amiga games directory.
then put the batch files in the games directory as well and run gamemove.bat
this will create all the subdirectories and move all the games into the proper subdirs.

hopefully that will sort you out.
Old 24 November 2009, 15:55   #14
ruffian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgarath View Post
This thread hurt my head

Anyway I've uploaded Dat - GameBase Amiga - Games (v1.6).zip to the zone

I think elowar forgot about this file when the server crashed.

Use the dat in clrmamepro, use it to rebuild your adfs to your gb amiga games directory.
then put the batch files in the games directory as well and run gamemove.bat
this will create all the subdirectories and move all the games into the proper subdirs.

hopefully that will sort you out.
Thanks, I will d'l the dat and try to follow your instructions, might need more help if you don't mind.
Old 24 November 2009, 18:29   #15
Belgarath
HOL Team Member

I'm feeling a bit under the weather today, but if there's anything you are stuck on please don't hesitate to post it here.
Old 24 November 2009, 20:15   #16
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Thanks to antonvaltaz () I found the full GB Amiga games set : http://gbamiga.elowar.com/TorrentTemp/
Old 25 November 2009, 13:35   #17
ruffian

Cyberdruid - you were correct, the games need to be in alphabetised folders, when i did this with a few adfs and renamed them from tosec to the gamebase name and rescanned it found them.

The other problem - so when i clicked play game on these entries, some launched no problem, some asked for a specific Workbench 2 or 3 and in some cases it went to the blue insert disk 1.3 screen.

I had previously played all these games via manual configuration in winuae so it seems i have the wrong versions that gamebase needs, at least for workbench 2 and 3. Well, that must be it because the names don't match exactly between what gamebase asks for and what i have in WinUAE (eg workbench 2.04/05).

I think i naively assumed there were only 3 basic kickstarts for A500, A600 and 1200, wheras there are various revisions? Not sure why i sometimes get the blue insert disk 1.3 screen though?

Then, complete disaster, in my eagerness to obtain the correct kickstarts I've been infected by Antivirus 2008 on the pc at home. Serve me right?

So now I'm looking at a mass of paperwork of how to get this bloody antivirus thing off my PC before I can go back to playing WinUAE again. Gahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Old 25 November 2009, 13:46   #18
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
I think i naively assumed there were only 3 basic kickstarts for A500, A600 and 1200, wheras there are various revisions? Not sure why i sometimes get the blue insert disk 1.3 screen though?
There are much more, but I think for GB Amiga you only need 1.2, 1.3, 2.05 and 3.1 (not even sure you'll need all of these).
Just looked up Antivirus 2008... Good luck with removing it. I hope this one helps : http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/viru...antivirus-2008
Old 25 November 2009, 13:54   #19
Belgarath
HOL Team Member

Most games use kickstart 1.3, aga 3.1 and then theres a small % that use 2.05 and probably an even smaller number that use 1.2
Old 25 November 2009, 14:00   #20
ruffian

Quote:
There are much more, but I think for GB Amiga you only need 1.2, 1.3, 2.05 and 3.1 (not even sure you'll need all of these).
Just looked up Antivirus 2008... Good luck with removing it. I hope this one helps : http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/viru...antivirus-2008
Thanks, Ill print that guide out and add it to the manual i've compiled for tackling the bast! First thing I need to do is get control back of the PC, its disabled taskmanager amongst other things...how are you on advice on removing viruses from pcs?

I have a 1.3, 2.04 and a 3.1 i think...i noticed my 1.3 is 256KB and the others are 'overdumped' (??) 512k, is this important? But like I say, I was able to play all the adfs from using the kickstarts i have without gamebase, but not with gamebase, I know i've written down the specific long names of the ones gamebase is looking for. Gamebase must be using one of those kickstarts for the games it will play, otherwise its <needs 2.05> and <a version of 3.1> that i don't have or the 1.3 insert disk icon.

I think my brain is in meltdown...last night I tried to play gamecube games in my wii...i couldn't figure out why the wii controller didn't do anything...until the penny dropped...you have to use a gamecube controller....doh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!