English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 07 September 2007, 21:26   #1
Mick_AKA
crusader of light

Painting your Amiga in 10 easy steps.

I've been seeing allot of pics all over the place of poorly sprayed amigas and ones with peeling paint and cracks.

As my Amiga's paint job has been good for over a year I thought I would share exactly how I went about it.

I have sprayed 5 Amigas now using various methods, although you may think yours looks great with just a few coats of spray over it your paint job is not going to last for any good length of time.

What you need:

x1 Amiga
x1 Philips Head Screwdriver
x1-2 Cans of Low Build Plastic Primer (if you cant get this High Build is ok but use sparingly)
x1 sheet of fine (but not the finest) carbon/sand paper available.
x1-2 cans of your desired colour in Auto Spray Paint
x1 can of clear auto spray lacquer.

IMPORTANT NOTE
For a really professional finish you should spray the inside edges of your casing, this should always be done BEFORE spraying the outside of the case.

Step 1. Dismantle your Amiga down to the bare outer casing, this may seem pretty obvious but allot of folks try and mask the keys and ports off which just gets messy and gives your a terrible finish.
Don’t forget to remove the badge (carefully without bending it) and the case LEDs.

Step 2. Gently rub the entire case with a very fine grade of carbon/sand paper, this will initially give your casing a rough feel and allow the primer to key properly to the surface.

If you have any custom holes you want to cut into it for drives or ports NOW is the time to do it.

Step 3. Clean the outer casing thoroughly, I left mine in a bath of soapy water and scrubbed it before rinsing it off any drying it out overnight.
If you spray it with any dirt/dust or plastic particles from the rubbing present your paint will flake in these areas.

Step 4. Spray with a coat of low build plastic primer, spray with the can a couple of feet from the casing in long horizontal sweeps.
Make sure you spray from several different angles.
DO NOT try and totally cover the surface yet, this is just the first coat and if you spray on too much your paint will run and/bunch.

Step 5. Leave until touch dry in a clean area, when spraying dust and insects are your enemy!

Step 6. Spray with second coat of primer paying attention to any areas missed with the first coat, leave until touch dry.

Step 7. Apply a coat of your chosen colour to the casing, remember just get a rough coverage.
Leave for 10-20 minuets and repeat.
Leave for another 10-20 minuets and repeat again paying attention to any areas you missed or did not cover sufficiently with the last two coats.

Step 8. Leave your casing to dry overnight, again you may think it has dried in a couple of hours but it needs to harden overnight.
Your case flexes slightly when reassembling so doing so before the paint has hardened could ruin your paint job.

Step 9. Apply a liberal coat of the clear lacquer and leave until touch dry.

Step 10. Re-Assemble your Amiga carefully, try not to knock your new paint work with any of the metal internals.

NOTES

You should now be left with a great looking and robust paint finish as high quality as on the bodywork of a car and it should last just as long.

Spay smaller parts such as buttons or keys individually at a distance of about 5 feet! any closer and the force of the spray can blow the parts around and you risk applying far too much paint to the surface.

Re-apply your original/custom Amiga badge to the casing with double sided tape NEVER EVER use super glue or epoxy on your paintwork.

Mick_AKA
Old 07 September 2007, 21:53   #2
laser
Banned

nice guide but you forgot to add some pics...
please add them
Old 07 September 2007, 22:13   #3
keropi

I was always wondering how you paint an amiga (computer) ... thanks!
Old 07 September 2007, 22:18   #4
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@Mick_AKA

Great Overview!!!

the longer you leave it between coats the better the finnish... a good 60mins in a dishwasher at 60c works wonders and really cleans and opens the plastic!

a good air dry for a couple of hours and its ready for Mick's Step 4
Old 07 September 2007, 22:57   #5
DrF
Blessed A1200 Of TeH Rat

In a Amiga mag years ago there was a fluorescent super mega brite green A500. It really did look odd.
Old 07 September 2007, 23:04   #6
P-J

Quote:
Originally Posted by laser View Post
nice guide but you forgot to add some pics...
please add them
Too right! Pics or it never happened!

Old 07 September 2007, 23:11   #7
Mick_AKA
crusader of light

The are already in another thred chaps, but here they are again for your ammusement, the finished article (yes I am aware the fucking keys are filthy!)...

The drive button was done with a spray called 'Just Meatalics' I was quite pleased with the aluminium like finish.

Badge done in photoshop, printed on photo paper and laminated.

Showing off the USB

My VERY messy study desk, you know you want that wallpaper

Unfortunately I took no 'during' pics back when I sprayed it, but if I decide to do the A600 I will provide a step by step in pictures, or perhaps enter the 21st century and make a YouTube video!
Old 07 September 2007, 23:48   #8
alkis21
Zone Friend

Send a message via MSN to alkis21
That looks awesome Mick.
Old 07 September 2007, 23:51   #9
P-J

That does look pretty fuckin' cool! Not a colour scheme I'd have thought of but it just, well, works!
Old 08 September 2007, 14:07   #10
laser
Banned

great work! I like that colors

also I see that you have replaced original keys by a cdtv keyboard or something like that

original A1200' keys were made by a bad quality plastic ....are now yellowed on most computers

and you can't combine the yellowed keys with others colors

btw, you forgot to mod your computer's table....bad finished and ugly

bye
Old 08 September 2007, 14:38   #11
Paul_s

Keys could do with a clean just kidding

Great work though
Old 08 September 2007, 15:54   #12
Bloodwych

Flippin' awesome A1200 Mick!!!

I bet that would fetch a fortune on ebay, not that you'd ever part with it.
Old 08 September 2007, 16:11   #13
P-J

Also-- What's with the USB ports in the side. How does _that_ work??
Old 08 September 2007, 17:44   #14
alkis21
Zone Friend

Send a message via MSN to alkis21
Quote:
Originally Posted by P-J View Post
Also-- What's with the USB ports in the side. How does _that_ work??
I reckon he's using SUBWAY, a fantastic piece of hardware that adds USB ports to your Amiga.
Old 08 September 2007, 17:53   #15
Mick_AKA
crusader of light

I am indeed
Old 09 September 2007, 07:17   #16
Rebel-CD32
Amiga will never die!

Send a message via MSN to Rebel-CD32
Great work there, I love the CDTV keyboard in there, looks way better than a yellowing A1200 keyboard.

I've painted quite a few Amigas and other computers and consoles before, and have another method if anyone wants to try it.

I use Penetrating Vinyl Dye, which is in a spray can which you use the same as paint, except you don't need to sand back the plastic or add any primers. Just wash the case and make sure it's dry, then spray it in several coats, waiting for it to dry a bit between coats like any other paint.

The great thing about vinyl dye though, apart from not requiring sanding or priming, is that it actually sinks into the plastic and changes the colour rather than just coating it. This way, the paint won't build up around the embossed bits or cracks, like around the HD, Floppy, Power text near the LEDs, it looks like the plastic was that colour from the factory.

The best brand I've used so far is VHT, and is available from auto parts stores. If you live in Australia, there's a new brand that is apparently just as good, is cheaper than VHT, and comes in a longer can. I'll try that out next time I paint a machine.

I've used VHT vinyl dye in car interiors too, both on the vinyl and plastic bits. I've never had any cracks or scratches on any computers or car interiors that I've painted. Just make sure if you try this method, don't scratch the case within a day or so of painting it, as like any paint or dye, it takes a little while to sink in and become permanent. I usually paint a case or car interior and put it back together only minutes after it being touch dry, but I'm careful, so I won't say it's impossible to scratch or anything.

I took a photo of my A1200 after a fresh coat of Charcoal Grey (or Gray, whatever...) but when I tried to clean up the photo in Paint Shop Pro (because it was a grainy, bad photo) it tinted the photo blueish. I'l take better photos of both my A1200, my girlfriend's A1200, our CD32 and its keyboard, all of which are dark charcoal grey now (same colour as the CD32).

Here's the crappy pic- http://www.spin.net.au/~amiga/RebelsA1200.jpg
Old 09 September 2007, 13:16   #17
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@Rebel

Looks Awesome! I will be keeping my eye out for this vinyl dye!!!

can you composite colour with them ? say if i added blue and red would the result be a purple?

what about if the item is already painted via acrylic spray paint?
Old 09 September 2007, 13:24   #18
CU_AMiGA
Banned

fuckin awesome pics. well bloody done old chap!
Old 09 September 2007, 19:03   #19
Rebel-CD32
Amiga will never die!

Send a message via MSN to Rebel-CD32
I've never tried mixing colours, although I have painted a previously blue Amiga dark grey now, and it looks exactly the same as the dark grey one that I painted on a fresh case, so at least I know older dyes won't show through, but I don't know if it will penetrate the plastic if it already has a sealed coat of paint on it.

The one big drawback of vinyl dye is the limited colours available. There are no yellows or greens in VHT's range, for example, and their blues aren't very nice.

Last edited by Rebel-CD32; 09 September 2007 at 21:16. Reason: Typo
Old 18 September 2007, 14:37   #20
Genghiz

Hey Rebel -

Have you tried out the vinyl dye on the keytops? Does it cover up the printing?

I really like your vinyl dye approach to 'restoring' the looks of a badly discoloured case. I had been thinking along the lines of a silver or grey metallic auto finish, but now I have to see if I can get your Aussie vinyl dyes here in Godzone - maybe Bunnings has them.

Nice job BTW - looking forward to seeing the 'better photos'.