English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - General

Old 31 October 2018, 20:37   #1
BullyDog

Who would've thought that new tires...

can increase your gas mileage?

I bought my 2003 Taurus in 2008 with 83126 on the clock. A few weeks ago I hit 100k on the clock and that was when I put new tires on this car. Yes, I drove on the same set for 10 years that the wear indicators were showing.

I'd never thought that the old tires were costing me gas mileages. The new set increased my gas mileage from 15 MPG to 24 MPG (Guessimated for now) and I was shocked.

I'll know better once I can start recording it when I fill the tank fully.
Old 01 November 2018, 01:30   #2
Daedalus

That's a hell of a difference... But yeah, even different tyre models can affect your mileage. Over here every tyre on the market has a rating for grip, fuel efficiency and noise, so you can compare and trade each off (along with the price) to select a tyre that suits your needs.

Tyre pressure can also affect things, so perhaps the tyre fitters inflated the new tyres higher than your old ones were normally kept at.

It's funny though that 15MPG didn't seem ridiculous... I recently sold my Audi A3 that averaged around 25MPG, and I considered that pretty terrible. The replacement car has the same power output (and a very similar engine), but can easily manage 32MPG on the same runs.
Old 01 November 2018, 03:58   #3
BullyDog

My car has a 3L flex-fuel V6 so it's not a very fuel efficient engine. It just can burn any gas I throw in it. Normally it'll run on 87 as expected. I've put 93 in it and got more power and more MPG.

I might be too optimistic about the MPG but my gas gauge seems to be moving less. Maybe I got 21 MPG instead. I'll know once I can start measuring it.
Old 01 November 2018, 13:59   #4
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

As I was in market of getting car, was checking all of them, but did try Toyota, Honda and Subaru, and biggest difference between 2019/2018 models compared to older cars is number of gears, which brings fuel efficiency up.

New Toyota Camry has about the same M/G as 3 year old Hybrid (~35mpg) while new Hybrids now has over 50 mpg.

All of those cars have 7/8 gear transmissions.

Back to your original post, we noticed similar results, but not at that improvement with our Toyota van. Again, what you made in 10 years, we make on both cars in year. (around 12-15K per year)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullyDog View Post
I've put 93 in it and got more power and more MPG.
That is just a myth... Proven to be false...

Last edited by Anubis; 01 November 2018 at 14:27.
Old 01 November 2018, 15:26   #5
BullyDog

Sorry that's not a myth and not proven false. I had first hand experience with this. It works in my car very well. May not work in all cars though but mine is a flex fuel.

Higher octane means that the engine can advance the spark timing more and thus produce more horses. More horses means less throttle so better mileage. I stopped using it because it went from 30 cents to 50 cents a gallon difference from 87.

My car is real responsive with it and it'll boogie.
Old 02 November 2018, 01:43   #6
Hewitson

15 mpg to 24 mpg just from new tyres... That can't possibly be correct.
Old 02 November 2018, 01:59   #7
BullyDog

I know. I don't believe it either.

My car's expected to average 23 MPG normally. For years I got only 15 MPG. It may be that I had a wrong set of tires on the car when I bought it. I drove on that for 10 years.
Old 02 November 2018, 07:25   #8
Hewitson

There's no way changing your tyres can almost half your fuel consumption. Ask any mechanic.
Old 02 November 2018, 14:12   #9
BullyDog

I'm a retired mechanic so I know. I'm the one driving the car and this is what I'm experiencing. I don't see how but it's for real. I'm back to the mileage I'm expected to get and I don't know how I lost mileage with the old tires.

I did notice a difference in driving my car. It's quieter and easier to steer. Quite softer too. Maybe the difference was the size of the tires.

Y'all don't have to believe me but I see no reason to BS y'all.
Old 03 November 2018, 22:22   #10
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullyDog View Post
Sorry that's not a myth and not proven false. I had first hand experience with this. It works in my car very well. May not work in all cars though but mine is a flex fuel.

Higher octane means that the engine can advance the spark timing more and thus produce more horses. More horses means less throttle so better mileage. I stopped using it because it went from 30 cents to 50 cents a gallon difference from 87.

My car is real responsive with it and it'll boogie.

Right...

[ Show youtube player ]

As for sudden efficiency, I think I might have an answer - you don't drive car the same as you did 10 years ago... less pedal = better consumption...
Old 03 November 2018, 23:59   #11
BullyDog

I've seen all that. That prove nothing. Cars are individuals and will responses differently to octanes. Mine's a flex fuel and made to run on different grades of gas.

The higher the octane the more efficient it will be. All those so called experts can blow me.
Old 04 November 2018, 04:54   #12
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Yes, and you change tires and get from 15mpg to 24mpg.

I've dealt with people who saw rebuke of people finding water with forked stick and still claim someone can do it.

Wait, you said you are retired mechanic??
Old 04 November 2018, 14:57   #13
Hewitson

Cars are generally tuned to run on a certain octane fuel. Having said that when using 95 or 98 instead of 91 octane I do notice a slight increase in performance and seem to get slightly better mileage.
Old 04 November 2018, 15:16   #14
BullyDog

Wasn't so slight in this car. Made enough difference to impress me otherwise I wouldn't be paying more for it. Now that it's 50 cents a gallon more I went back to 87. Now it felt anemic like I went from a V8 to a 4 banger.

Yes, replacing the tires improved my gas mileage. I'm still trying to figure out why it's so drastic. Was my brakes dragging that they fixed it? I doubt it but whatever it is my car's moving a lot easier.

I just realized that I may had a mismatched set of tires but I never really looked. I bought the car off the used car lot so that could explain it. Hell, I drove on them for 10 years thinking that my car will do no better than 15 MPG.

Don't believe me? Don't care. Blow me.
Old 08 November 2018, 21:52   #15
alenppc

I put winter tires in November and take them off in April/May and they do use more gas, but nothing that drastic. Part of it also is winter fuel mix which is not as efficient as the summer mix so I don't know if the whole thing is due to tires.

I can't even imagine how can someone drive on the same tires for 10 years lol, although you don't seem to drive that much, I do at least 16,000 km a year (so around 10,000 miles for you non-metric people?)
Old 08 November 2018, 22:16   #16
BullyDog

I don't. from 83126 to 100192 since 11-08-2008 makes 17066 miles in 10 years (guess what today is ).

5 oil changes so far.

I'm sure it was mismatched tires that was costing me MPG.
Old 08 November 2018, 22:19   #17
Dunny

Jeez, I change my tyres pretty much every year... 10 years? Really?
Old 08 November 2018, 22:28   #18
BullyDog

Well, you've seen the miles above. Before I bought a new set of tires I've seen one tire that will not pass inspection. The remaining three would pass easily.

I could've bought just one good used tire and be done with but they've been on the car for 10 years and I thought it's time to ditch em.