English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - Technical

Old 31 October 2018, 03:41   #1
jmmijo

Question ASUS X99 Sabretooth Motherboard Question

So this one has me confused and even Google isn't being helpful looking for a solution.

So when I upgraded to my new Threadripper workstation I purchased some extra 120mm Cooling fans from Corsair.

So I replaced all the old dirty ones on both my new machine and on this Gaming rig.

Everything is working great but one fan, it keep spinning at full speed and isn't affected by the BIOS settings nor from the ASUS AI Suite software.

It could just be that one header isn't working properly, need to try an adjacent one and see if the same thing still occurs.
Old 31 October 2018, 12:39   #2
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Just replace 2 of them and check if the same thing occurs...

Lesson learned: don't upgrade!
Old 31 October 2018, 18:03   #3
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Strange Google didn't help, it's easy - some fans aren't PWM (affected by BIOS settings) but rather fixed at specific speed determined by voltage.
Only way to slow them is by using a third party (low noise) adapter between the mobo connector and the fan cable or one build in your mobo/case/other that's changing the voltage from 12V to a smaller value.
But that means you will still have them running constantly at that speed or have to change it MANUALLY to go at a different speed.

The easiest way to check if your fan is PWM or not is count the pins on the connector - 3 is not, 4 are PWM.

Post the exact name of the fan you've got to be sure, but I think that's the case with your fan - get a better one

I had the same problem when I bought the Noctua D14 cpu cooler, it was running at full no matter what I did, changing it to a NOCTUA NF P14R fixed the problem forever.

Last edited by Shoonay; 31 October 2018 at 18:09.
Old 31 October 2018, 20:11   #4
jmmijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoonay View Post
Strange Google didn't help, it's easy - some fans aren't PWM (affected by BIOS settings) but rather fixed at specific speed determined by voltage.
Only way to slow them is by using a third party (low noise) adapter between the mobo connector and the fan cable or one build in your mobo/case/other that's changing the voltage from 12V to a smaller value.
But that means you will still have them running constantly at that speed or have to change it MANUALLY to go at a different speed.

The easiest way to check if your fan is PWM or not is count the pins on the connector - 3 is not, 4 are PWM.

Post the exact name of the fan you've got to be sure, but I think that's the case with your fan - get a better one

I had the same problem when I bought the Noctua D14 cpu cooler, it was running at full no matter what I did, changing it to a NOCTUA NF P14R fixed the problem forever.
But that is why I picked up the 4 pin model fans, I wanted PWM type.

All the other fans are running properly it's just the one fan on a specific fan connector, but this is where I think the issue is, it maybe the fan connector,
Old 31 October 2018, 20:41   #5
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Oh, I missed the part where you mentioned fans

So just swap the one that you know works fine on the other connector, you will know which is the culprit.

For multiple case fans I got a Gelid SpeedTouch 6 fan controller, it can manage up to 6 temp sensors (included) & fans (not included) by voltage, goes into your 5.25" bay and is easy to setup and forget.
Old 01 November 2018, 14:29   #6
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

That looks like interesting solution.

https://www.amazon.com/SOLUTIONS-Spe...words=FC-LC-01
Old 01 November 2018, 19:57   #7
jmmijo

I did some further investigation and it appears that perhaps the FAN port maybe is reporting the incorrect value or the AI Suite from ASUS is reading it incorrectly.

The FAN whine I'm hearing maybe coming from another component and it appears to be the PS Unit

Going to have to dig in deeper and see, but I cleaned things out recently so if it is the PS Unit, than the cooling fan is going.
Old 01 November 2018, 22:00   #8
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I know what you need: A hard reset.

https://www.reddit.com/r/funny/comme...ver_room_made/
Old 05 November 2018, 22:45   #9
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

And the issue is...

Gimbal, thank you for sharing. Forwarded picture to my boss to make sure he ordered set.

He said he ordered 2 as we are all about redundancy.