English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 24 July 2018, 13:25   #221
earok

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadOnlyCat View Post
Just a note that the images included as part of the quoted post below are now inaccessible: :'(
Eeep. Serves me right for linking directly to photos on facebook.. I should gather them all up and repost them sometime.

Reworked the controls recently, so that now the character direction sticks when you hold down fire. Feels really natural, like strafing in an FPS
Old 24 July 2018, 16:15   #222
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by earok View Post
Eeep. Serves me right for linking directly to photos on facebook.. I should gather them all up and repost them sometime.

Reworked the controls recently, so that now the character direction sticks when you hold down fire. Feels really natural, like strafing in an FPS
The more time passes, the more having any relation with Facebook looks like a bad idea in many ways.

Also I realized that I had not pre-ordered the game yet, so just did that.
(I would prefer funding you guys through an official crowd funding project though. )
Old 24 July 2018, 21:51   #223
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

Thanks!
In regards to preorders or crowd funding, I think for our next game we'll follow what we recently did with Worthy if possible. I.e. go directly for the release.
Old 24 July 2018, 21:52   #224
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsak View Post
Thanks!
In regards to preorders or crowd funding, I think for our next game we'll follow what we recently did with Worthy if possible. I.e. go directly for the release.

...yup, screw crowd funding rubbish; time and time again this hasn't worked on the small Amiga platform and you probably then won't get the desired sales.

Stick with what you know works best
Old 24 July 2018, 21:59   #225
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

True, however it's not unprecedented in the Amiga scene. Viddi managed to gather 200 presales thrice with his 3 TOG titles. He seems to be very much on top of this game
Old 24 July 2018, 22:46   #226
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
True, however it's not unprecedented in the Amiga scene. Viddi managed to gather 200 presales thrice with his 3 TOG titles. He seems to be very much on top of this game
Yeah and that's awesome; but he didn't use crowd funding. That's my point...
Old 25 July 2018, 15:12   #227
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
With Gorluth Viddi applied the same model like AlarCity IIRC.
Old 26 July 2018, 13:57   #228
idrougge

Crowdfunding is yesteryear's buzzword. Use blockchain for your new project instead!
Old 17 August 2018, 13:19   #229
Clydos
aka (Cpt)JohnArcher

Quote:
... I think for our next game ...
This "simple" statement is wonderful to read. The Amiga world needs lot of Pixelglass games!

Any hints on what the next game will be?

Regarding Alair: Great to read the progress on the controller front. Sounds good that fire direction is then locked! Looking forward to play that.
Old 25 August 2018, 22:19   #230
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
...yup, screw crowd funding rubbish; time and time again this hasn't worked on the small Amiga platform [...]
I am not sure what gives you this impression but looking at available data, it turns out that things have worked quite well on average for serious Amiga related crowd funded projects:
The vast majority of the KickStarter Amiga projects which were not serious never reached their funding targets so no "funder" ever lost their money on them.

Most of the successful ones delivered their promise, so overall this is working quite well just looking at KickStarter data.

The biggest recent fail was the re-release of the Cinemare Defender of The Crown edition, but overall this is still an outlier.

Vidi delivered on Gorluth even though he was also crowd funded, just like Alar City it is crowd funded, except on an individual basis with zero guarantees. Platforms like KickStarter at least allow backers to cancel their pledges and offer more guarantees overall.

Quote:
[...] and you probably then won't get the desired sales.
If the funding pledges are the same as the pre-order prices this should not decrease the numbers a bit, on the contrary, KickStarter gives higher visibility on average just because it draws a large public in which knows about the Amiga but does not necessarily reads/follows Amiga related sites.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
With Gorluth Viddi applied the same model like AlarCity IIRC.
Quote:
Yeah and that's awesome; but he didn't use crowd funding. That's my point...
He did, he relied on the crowd to pay for pre-orders, this is exactly the same as for KickStarter except that people had to rely on him being trustworthy and able to track all these pre-orders reliably.
KS essentially centralizes all this work for you but the result is the same: people pledge their support and this funds the project.
Old 25 August 2018, 22:26   #231
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
I am not sure what gives you this impression but looking at available data, it turns out that things have worked quite well on average for serious Amiga related crowd funded projects:
I don't see any game projects listed above; these are all books, audio and video that will appeal to the wider Amiga audience.

...and also there are some pretty famous Amiga people associated with the above i.e. Allister Brimble and Chris Huelsbeck. It really wouldn't matter what method these guys chose; they were bound to be successful
Old 28 August 2018, 04:01   #232
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

Quote:
Platforms like KickStarter at least allow backers to cancel their pledges and offer more guarantees overall.
This is a very good point actually. The problem is that crowdfunding an Amiga game with kickstarter also poses a risk for developers themselves: failing to reach your funding goal means loads of lost time, lost confidence, lowering your morale, lost funds (obviously) and a serious chance to cancel the project.

If Alarcity went kickstarter it would have also failed imho. Seeing our presales campaign in hindsight, we didn't managed to reach half of our target goal and this despite the positive feedback from the video, the latest demo and PR efforts. I seriously doubt kickstarter's guarantees could have turned the tables.

Quote:
[/LIST]I don't see any game projects listed above; these are all books, audio and video that will appeal to the wider Amiga audience.
Exactly. The overarching issue here isn't the lack of Amiga supporters in general but the underdeveloped market for new games speciffically. The reality remains that any Amiga games developer could only hope to sell a few hundred copies at best with a finished title (how many exactly remains a wild guess, depending on the game and it's reception), while fewer still would go as far and risk to fund a project under development. And it's this lack of a solid customer base (beyond a small mass of maybe 60-100 people) that makes ANY kind of crowdfunding venturing or prediction really difficult.

Could it be any different? Perhaps. Just see the Amiga hardware market in comparison. The supply is excellent, the demand is great and there's a steady flow of people, ready to reach deep into their pockets to equip their miggies with the latest x, y, z gadget or peripheral. It trully amazes me f.e. to see more than 2900 Vampire cards sold already! Kinda makes you wonder, why 2900 Amigans haven't preordered Alarcity yet?..

Joking aside, (and away with whining) I trully believe we're in a turning point currently. The Amiga gaming scene is expanding, the quality and quantity of new titles is raising and the community is always here to support!
Worthy is already proving to be a success story for us and I'm positive Alarcity will also follow in it's footsteps!
Old 24 September 2018, 15:09   #233
earok

I need to apologise. I haven't been very good with keeping the game rolling at a reasonable development pace. My heart hasn't been in it so working on it has been a chore lately, and the anxiety from letting everyone down by not having it done already has been putting me off working on it.

But I've had a good talk with Tsak about it and I feel a lot more reassured about the development of the game. In fact, I'm rather excited about the possibilities of where we could take it.

So I just need to let everyone know - yes, it's still coming, and yes we'll get it finished, but it's almost certainly not going to be by the end of the year. Please keep the faith!
Old 24 September 2018, 17:14   #234
Clydos
aka (Cpt)JohnArcher

Thanks for the info, earok, and no problem. Take your time; maybe even take a break. I think it makes more sense if you are fresh and motivated, then the work will be much better. And taking some time off could help with getting motivated again.
Old 24 September 2018, 21:45   #235
Gzegzolka

As much as I would love to see this game finished I understood that sometimes it is good to take breaks. I only hopes they won't be too long. It is good for passion and hobby to not burn them, take a break and back when You know what to do next Just do not abandon this game, pretty please
Old 25 September 2018, 12:04   #236
mcgeezer

A break does you the world of good from coding which is all of thr below:

Time consuming
Tiring
Frustrating
Addictive (if the right project)
Rewarding

Many people (i’m not saying the EAB) under appreciate the effort involved in game making.

On the subject of funding, my next project will be offered as pay something or download for free. Any payment would go toward my next project.

You have to do it for the love. There’s no money in retro game making.

Geezer

Last edited by mcgeezer; 25 September 2018 at 12:09.
Old 01 October 2018, 09:23   #237
spacey

yeah game dev can be a bit of a rollercoaster.. don't feel bad about hitting a difficult patch - happens to all of us.
Old 02 October 2018, 06:37   #238
earok

Thanks @gzegzolka @mcgeezer @spacey, I appreciate the support

I've started developing a fresh codebase for the project to build it ground-up with what I know about Amiga development now that I didn't when I started (which isn't to say that I'm abandoning the old one - I'll take parts across when necessary). Will get back in touch once I've got a bit more to talk about.
Old 05 December 2018, 15:15   #239
MartinW

Is there any kind of completion guess for those that have pre-ordered? Delays are unavoidable but a ground-up fresh codebase sounds a little alarming!
Old 05 December 2018, 18:49   #240
earok

Honestly, no I don't have a completion guess - though I'd be extremely unhappy with myself if it didn't come out next year.

Things are progressing in the background. The scrolling has been rewritten to support larger levels (Chaos Engine size). Graphics are interleaved now so more can be blitted during a frame. We've developed new tools to support converting maps from Tiled to Alarcity's map format in a single drag-drop operation for streamlining the level development process. And Tsak is working on a whole new set of graphics for both the player and enemies.

We're going to get it done, and it's going to be up to the PixelGlass standard, we just don't have a definitive completion date right now.