English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 20 September 2003, 20:44   #1
Incomparabile

Send a message via ICQ to Incomparabile Send a message via MSN to Incomparabile Send a message via Yahoo to Incomparabile
Happy Amiga OS 4.0 boots on AmigaOne!

Amiga OS 4 boots on AmigaOne. This is real. This happened today at Pianeta Amiga (www.pianetaamiga.it), Italian Exhibition about Amiga and other alternative platforms.

Jurgen Schaber and other guys worked hard to do it, and they did it. Big surprise among all Amiga freaks (but someone was not too happy )...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pa.jpg
Views:	476
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	5967  
Old 20 September 2003, 20:54   #2
Dizzy
Pirate

More picture here, they are big...

http://www.stormloader.com/amiga/osnews/amiga1.htm

http://www.stormloader.com/amiga/osnews/amiga2.htm

http://www.stormloader.com/amiga/osnews/amiga3.htm

http://www.stormloader.com/amiga/osnews/amiga4.htm

http://amigaworld.net/modules/featur..._id=16&sort_by

http://amigaworld.net/modules/featur..._id=26&sort_by
Old 20 September 2003, 21:01   #3
jmmijo

So who wasn't too happy with this then
Old 20 September 2003, 21:13   #4
Incomparabile

Send a message via ICQ to Incomparabile Send a message via MSN to Incomparabile Send a message via Yahoo to Incomparabile
There is also Pegasos and MorphOS They are not happy if Amiga boots

@Dizzy: AmigaOS 4.0 booted on AmigaOne , your images are of AmigaOS4.0 booted on classic Amigas with PowerPC...

Last edited by Incomparabile; 20 September 2003 at 21:20.
Old 20 September 2003, 21:33   #5
jmmijo

Oh, I see now, thanks for the info

The only thing I really have fault Amiga Inc. on is that fact that they are missing the boat with capturing the Retro market with the Amiga One hardware. If they were also concurrently working on a PCI emulator card for older apps/games support, they most likely would have a much larger market

The only hope at this point would be that a really up to date emulator comes out for the Amiga OS4/Amiga One platform.
Old 21 September 2003, 08:24   #6
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
Getting an OS to boot and getting it finished are 2 different things. Having somebody make apps for OS 4 is another thing entirely.

The amigaone should have looked like a A1200 except with USB, SVGA output, EIDE, cdrom built in. They should alos been 100% A1200 compatible even if it meant having empty sockets you have to plug your old chips into. That machine would have sold quite well
Old 21 September 2003, 15:28   #7
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Quote:
Originally posted by Unknown_K
They should alos been 100% A1200 compatible even if it meant having empty sockets you have to plug your old chips into. That machine would have sold quite well
Yep. And seems the current retardos at Eyetech and Amiga (ST)inc. are taking the same marketing mismaneagment cues from CBM Inc.
AmigaOne...a Linux box with a boing ball
Old 21 September 2003, 15:58   #8
Severin

Send a message via ICQ to Severin
Quote:
The amigaone should have looked like a A1200
Aaaaarrrgghhhhh NNNNoooooooooo!!!! ugly... horrible... unexpandable lump of plastic...

No one would take it seriously if it was, it would be labelled as a games machine again and lose the serious market...

I'm considering putting my A1 in an A4000 case though

Or an A1000 if I can find one - but that would probably melt
Old 21 September 2003, 16:04   #9
kolorabi

Great news! Things seems to be moving forward, and finally they're able to show some results. I personally think they need more software support for the AmigaOne to become a success (in other words: I'm a fan, but I'm not going to fork out for one of those machines unless there's something real to do with it..), but every little victory counts.

Anyway, good job, Eyetech & Hyperion.
Old 21 September 2003, 19:40   #10
Unknown_K

Quote:
Originally posted by Severin
Aaaaarrrgghhhhh NNNNoooooooooo!!!! ugly... horrible... unexpandable lump of plastic...

No one would take it seriously if it was, it would be labelled as a games machine again and lose the serious market...

I'm considering putting my A1 in an A4000 case though

Or an A1000 if I can find one - but that would probably melt
Funny last time I checked game machines were a multi billion dollar market. And who is taking the "buisiness market" seriously on the amigaone? The facts of life are no developers who make a living developing will waste their time on making software for a system that basically doesnt have a users base. While some hobyists will make some apps for the unit (just like people still program C64 games) they will do it when they have time and are in the mood so people who actually buy the amigaone will either make it into one expensive as hell slow linux box or watch it collecting dust while polishing the nameplate.

I dont find the A1200 to be a horrible looking lump of plastic. And as far as expandibility what exactly do you need besides USB, HD, cdrom, network, video, thats already built in? Do you see anybody lining up to make cards for the amigaone? If you rummage through your neighbors trash to find their discarded PC you could probably find an ancient voodoo 3 to go with your amigaone.

I see a market for the old amiga as a retro game machine. Why bother with the old a500/a1200 and all the addons that are expensive as hell when somebody could make a new one with everything built in using common and replaceable USB mice, standard svga monitors, usb printers, 10/100/1000 network connections, normal cd's, hell even common 1.44 mb floppies you dont have to goto the web to find. Worst case you can put the cpu on a removable card and upgrade the system through the trap door method the a1200 used, but I dont think you need to.
Old 21 September 2003, 19:51   #11
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

I couldn't be more uninterested. There is so much wasted talent/resources going on this project. It's never going to be a 'success'. They will sell far too few units and the demand for this isn't going to reach anywhere near enough numbers for money to be made.

All of the above is IMHO so please don't take anything personally.
Old 21 September 2003, 19:57   #12
jmmijo

I for one may or may not get an A1, mainly due to the fact I'd rather get some more legacy Amiga equipment for spares and any missing pieces I don't have in my current collection.

I suppose I may end up getting a board at some point, mainly just to say I have one. I guess I'm into that sort of thing
Old 21 September 2003, 20:32   #13
Dizzy
Pirate

Quote:
Originally posted by jmmijo
I for one may or may not get an A1, mainly due to the fact I'd rather get some more legacy Amiga equipment for spares and any missing pieces I don't have in my current collection.

I suppose I may end up getting a board at some point, mainly just to say I have one. I guess I'm into that sort of thing
If you happens to have too much money and you don't know hhow to spend them...
Old 21 September 2003, 21:45   #14
jmmijo

Yeah, you could say that, however I tend to purchase things that aren't neccessarily on the cheap side
Old 21 September 2003, 23:14   #15
Unknown_K

jmmijo is a marketeers wet dream, he will buy any shit as long as you have a good story behind it.

I tend to buy things I will actually use AND the price has to be right. I left the bleeding edge behind a long time ago.
Old 21 September 2003, 23:16   #16
jmmijo

I resemble that remark

My problem is that I like to purchase things just for the freakin' GEEK factor and nothing more
Old 21 September 2003, 23:28   #17
Severin

Send a message via ICQ to Severin
Quote:
Funny last time I checked game machines were a multi billion dollar market. And who is taking the "buisiness market" seriously on the amigaone? The facts of life are no developers who make a living developing will waste their time on making software for a system that basically doesnt have a users base. While some hobyists will make some apps for the unit (just like people still program C64 games) they will do it when they have time and are in the mood so people who actually buy the amigaone will either make it into one expensive as hell slow linux box or watch it collecting dust while polishing the nameplate.

I dont find the A1200 to be a horrible looking lump of plastic. And as far as expandibility what exactly do you need besides USB, HD, cdrom, network, video, thats already built in? Do you see anybody lining up to make cards for the amigaone? If you rummage through your neighbors trash to find their discarded PC you could probably find an ancient voodoo 3 to go with your amigaone.

I see a market for the old amiga as a retro game machine. Why bother with the old a500/a1200 and all the addons that are expensive as hell when somebody could make a new one with everything built in using common and replaceable USB mice, standard svga monitors, usb printers, 10/100/1000 network connections, normal cd's, hell even common 1.44 mb floppies you dont have to goto the web to find. Worst case you can put the cpu on a removable card and upgrade the system through the trap door method the a1200 used, but I dont think you need to.
For the games machine market check out the A1-Lite which is basically what your describing (MoBo pics below)...

No I don't see people lining up to make boards for the AmigaOne as they're already being made... I think you might know them as 'PC PCI boards'

Why would I want an ancient voodoo3? I'm using a radeon 7000 atm, ugrading to 9x00 when os4 arrives... or maybe one of the other 180+ supported makes...

Old 21 September 2003, 23:30   #18
Dizzy
Pirate

Quote:
I resemble that remark

My problem is that I like to purchase things just for the freakin' GEEK factor and nothing more
OOHH you're not married yet.... or having children....
Collect while you can..

If you are, then you must have a very big wallet.
Old 21 September 2003, 23:32   #19
jmmijo

So Severin, is this a Mini-ITX board or Micro-Flex/ATX board ?!? To me it looks like the former.

As for the A1-Lite, looks to be an all in one board but what would really be a selling point is a plug-in A1200 board or something like this for backwards classic emulation. But I guess there's not going to be any hence the reason the A1 will not sell very well

@Dizzy, I'm neither married nor do I plan on it in the near future. As for kids, bah humbug, call me a scrooge when it comes to little brats running around the house

Last edited by jmmijo; 21 September 2003 at 23:38.
Old 22 September 2003, 00:00   #20
Unknown_K

Quote:
So Severin, is this a Mini-ITX board or Micro-Flex/ATX board ?!? To me it looks like the former.

As for the A1-Lite, looks to be an all in one board but what would really be a selling point is a plug-in A1200 board or something like this for backwards classic emulation. But I guess there's not going to be any hence the reason the A1 will not sell very well

@Dizzy, I'm neither married nor do I plan on it in the near future. As for kids, bah humbug, call me a scrooge when it comes to little brats running around the house
The little board looks nice, but game machines need games. That wont run old games without an emulator (why buy a ppc to emulate when we all have PC's that run the same emulator), and no new games are being developed for it.

There are few to no games for Linux boxes, and there are millions of those, what makes you think people will develop games for the amigaone?

If they didnt have the budget for an updated A1200 type machine they could at least made a PCI slot amiga computer (AGA compatible) and ran os 4 from there.