English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 09 September 2010, 16:01   #21
Borks

3 years ago my mother threw out the A1200 with 4meg ram expansion and 120meg HDD I left at home when I went to college.

Learned about this over the phone. 500 miles away. Gone forever.

Whyyyyyyyy

Old 09 September 2010, 16:28   #22
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

I'd probably offer it up free, "collection only" on Amibay & here, possibly freecycle first but certainly wouldn't mess about eBay and with posting etc.

It's just not worth a person's time or effort.
Old 09 September 2010, 16:58   #23
BrooksterMax

I agree with this, terrible as it is. The effort involved in bubble wrapping, boxing up kit for next to no money (postage costing more than the item) is very tedious when you have other real life challenges.

Giving it away for someone to collect in person is far more preferable for sure - but depends upon how lucky you are finding someone nearby. In Norfolk there seems to be a disportionate number of Amiga peeps and gamers per head of county. Its crazy but great!
Old 09 September 2010, 18:34   #24
Smiley
Amiga-less!

I remember selling my A500+ on Ebay for 99p a few years back!

At least offer it free for collection!
Old 11 September 2010, 22:42   #25
chrispy

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
In the UK, you wouldn't be guaranteed to get much more than £10 on ebay for an A500. Not worth the effort.

There were just too many of them made.

If I was getting rid of my A500 it would go to the bin before mess about with eBay & posting etc.
It would kill me to toss something that still worked (that sounds a tad perverted doesn't it), hence the reason for my storage container.

If i'd have done that I would never have got back into the Amiga scene, fitzsteve wouldn't be pulling his hair out trying to help me in my dullards quest to get my 1200 set up correctly and Chris from Amigakit would save time in the day from packing up my stuff to post off and he wouldn't have to listen to my insane ramblings down the phone.
Old 13 September 2010, 08:39   #26
JonSick

I sold my A500 for £40 about 2 years ago... Well, it was more cobbled together. I found one at the dump, complete in the box... gave the dude a 4-pack of beer to look the other way. The disk drive was knackered, but I had several around anyways. Cleaned er up, sorted out a few cold looking solder joints, looked nice. I used it for a few months and hocked it.

I guess it all depends on condition and the right time.
Old 21 September 2010, 07:22   #27
Nikolaj_sofus

Send a message via MSN to Nikolaj_sofus
Just bought 8 mb of zip ram on amibay... so now it's time to test the supra RX and the alfapower hd chassis
Old 21 September 2010, 17:15   #28
Monsterland

Some dude on the Dutch e-bay gave away an amiga 1200 he found on his attic for free..unfortunately I was too late
Old 21 September 2010, 22:19   #29
8bitbubsy

You know, I throw away old PCs all the time... The Amiga isn't exactly superior to an old PC, it's just opinions and what kind of nostalgy you have associated with it.

It's very understandable that people throw away Amigas and other systems, they just don't have any interest and need for it anymore. And who would thought that Amiga was worth a lot? The first that comes to mind is: useless, no performance etc etc...
I wouldn't (but I know though, because I checked the Internet - and here I am).
Old 21 September 2010, 22:46   #30
Photon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8bitbubsy View Post
You know, I throw away old PCs all the time... The Amiga isn't exactly superior to an old PC, it's just opinions and what kind of nostalgy you have associated with it.

It's very understandable that people throw away Amigas and other systems, they just don't have any interest and need for it anymore. And who would thought that Amiga was worth a lot? The first that comes to mind is: useless, no performance etc etc...
I wouldn't (but I know though, because I checked the Internet - and here I am).
Agree wholeheartedly - if it's not of interest anymore, it must sometimes be just thrown on the scrap heap. I'm not really a technology collector, but in this day and age it should be at least worth a try to get a buck for it on some auction site and make someone happy. Whether it's a VHS machine, perfectly good radio, yesterday's 300 GB harddisk, it feels like a shame to not let someone have a chance at it. But I know some people who think wrapping a parcel and dump it at the post office is an onerous chore.
Old 23 September 2010, 15:19   #31
Mick_AKA
crusader of light

My parents threw my A3K into a neighbor's skip while I was away traveling, I rang home and got "oh you're dads thrown away that old PC that was in the attic"

Old 26 September 2010, 20:33   #32
danwood

My parents binned a fully working amiga 500 about 15 years ago and their explanation for doing it was vague/bordering on alzheimezers :S
Old 28 September 2010, 10:05   #33
Anakirob
Unregistered User

Q. What kind of person throws out a working Amiga?
A. A "normal" person.

Thankfully there are none of those "normal" people here on EAB :P
Old 28 September 2010, 17:28   #34
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
To 99.99% of people old computers are obsolete junk. There are many computer collectors that would not recognize a million dollar work of art in a trashcan either.

Anything non working and not worth fixing I trash. If I think somebody might be able to use an item I don't want I either sell it or give it away (depending on the percieved value and effort needed to sell/ship something). At the end of the day if nobody wants it and I am tired of tripping on it I recycle or trash it.

I would think an A500 in the UK is like a C64 here in the US, very common and it is hard to give them away unless they are complete working systems. With 20 million or so C64s made they will never be rare anyway.
Old 28 September 2010, 17:47   #35
s2325
Zone Friend

Yes, for most people old computers are just "PC keyboard with no cable". But they name electronic typewriters as computers...
Old 28 September 2010, 20:54   #36
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Someone who doesn't know that he would actually get some quid for it on eBay
Or maybe they don't care! I bet that every thing I threw out to the streets could have been sold in an auction site. One person's junk is another person's treasure, never forget that.
Old 28 September 2010, 22:52   #37
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

True that I'd try to get some info first (Google is your friend as always) and then sell it if there's at least some minor interest for it.
Old 29 September 2010, 03:02   #38
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
One person's junk is another person's treasure, never forget that.
Neither do ebay.
It's that very motto, which is the fuel to keep their (business) motor running
Old 30 September 2010, 02:12   #39
Amiga1992

Well I don';t see anything wrong with it.
If I have something that I am about to throw out, I put it on an auction site.
Even 2 bucks is better than none.

The problem is people that sell junk as if they were treasures :P
Old 01 October 2010, 00:58   #40
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas