English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 22 March 2020, 23:35   #1
utukku

Elbox Mediator board & Spider USB problems

Looking for a bit of help with an A4000 040 with a recently fitted Mediator board.

I have fitted the spider usb board as well as a Radeon 9200 128mb card. Done all the installation ( and finally got nearly everything working ) just 2 little niggles.

Installed Trident, added the usbhardware commands & saved in Trident etc and everything in trident says its fine. So, when I put in a usb stick, I get a popup saying its been detected, but it doesn't show up on the WB or in dopus? does it have to be formatted in a special way? or limited in size?

Also, I have got the Radeon installled and working to a point. I got it set at 800x600 8bit. But if I got up any further resolutions, the test works fine, but after I save the new screenmode, and reboot, the screen just stay's black, as if it's not outputting the new mode.

Cheers

Utukku
Old 23 March 2020, 03:44   #2
grelbfarlk

Is your USB stick formatted FAT? Just like connecting a CompactFlash card, Hard Drive or CDROM the Amiga has to support the filesystem on the drive.
Have you tried connecting a USB mouse or keyboard to see if they work ok?
Have you tested these screenmodes in P96Mode to make sure they are correct for your monitor?
Old 23 March 2020, 17:00   #3
DarrenHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by grelbfarlk View Post
Is your USB stick formatted FAT? Just like connecting a CompactFlash card, Hard Drive or CDROM the Amiga has to support the filesystem on the drive.
Have you tried connecting a USB mouse or keyboard to see if they work ok?
Have you tested these screenmodes in P96Mode to make sure they are correct for your monitor?
I have all sorts of problems with my spider in my A4000 with CS MK2. device stalls, errors on writing (to usb disks). it just doesn't work reliably. One time I copied 600mb of a 700mb file and it worked until 600mb then errored out. Also poseidon has trouble saving envarc: psdstackloader, even if I delete it and it re-creates. it says failed to write envarc: psdstackloader. This is under os 3.1.4.
Old 24 March 2020, 18:47   #4
Kin Hell

@ utukku

Make a copy of HD Toolbox.

Get the Icon Information box open & edit the Line saying scsi.device to the "DEVICE_NAME".device for the USB Device & Save.

Double click the Copy of HDToolbox & now you should see any USB Storage device plugged in.

From here you can Partition the USB Stick & give it a file system before you Format. - Ejecting the USB Device & re-inserting it should show you the Un-formatted Partitions you created.

Good luck kiddo.

RE: your Graphics issue, you'll need a Utility called ModePro or such to promote your desktop to the Mediators Radeon card. - Iirc, (it's been a while....) By default, the Miggy RGB will always be used & 800 x 800 is a no go.

Last edited by Kin Hell; 24 March 2020 at 18:54.
Old 25 March 2020, 16:41   #5
source
Zone Friend

To get it to read fat formatted drives stick or HD. Install fat95 form aminet. I also believe there is a setting in trident which file format to try when you install different devices
Old 28 March 2020, 00:48   #6
utukku

Thanks for all the replies, I have now got my head around the "Picasso96" software, and have the screenmodes working really nice.

I have also got the spider USB working, it was as simple as installing FAT95.