Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > EAB's competition

Old 29 December 2018, 20:57   #1
john4p
Competition Moderator

It's a Knockout! 2018/19 Semi Final: F1

It's a Knockout! 2018/19 Semi Final: F1

Starts: 00:01 December 30th 2018 Finishes: 23:59 January 5th 2019

Rules

Post a picture of your score here with the score written underneath. Enter as often as you like. Only scores achieved during the round's time frame count.

Play Leg 2 of Arcade mode!

Wing setting, gear transmission, tyres and even difficulty setting are all freely choosable! Keep in mind that higher difficulty yields a higher score.

Tied scores will be separated by whoever submitted their score first.

No cheating (including save states) - anyone caught cheating gets disqualified.

Downloads

- ADF
- WHDLoad-installed

Extras

- Lemon thread
- Super League Round 2 threads: EAB, Lemon

Scores

107,992 - john4p vs LinesMachine - 36,722

124,459 - capehorn vs Parpala - 112,319

Last edited by john4p; 05 January 2019 at 23:04.
Old 30 December 2018, 21:49   #2
john4p
Competition Moderator

Old 02 January 2019, 01:19   #3
john4p
Competition Moderator

Old 02 January 2019, 12:41   #4
capehorn

Old 02 January 2019, 13:30   #5
john4p
Competition Moderator

Man, that black bar on a wide screen...please change "Default" to "No scaling" in Filter options.
Old 02 January 2019, 19:30   #6
john4p
Competition Moderator

Didn't qualify on the last track. This was on Professional, trying Expert again.
Old 02 January 2019, 20:18   #7
capehorn

Thanks John, I've saved over my old filter settings with a new config file.

Old 02 January 2019, 20:49   #8
john4p
Competition Moderator

Much better!
Old 04 January 2019, 21:22   #9
capehorn

Edit: Ahh, ummm, I don't know what happen to the screen resolution, I didn't even notice while I was playing it, sorry John!
Old 04 January 2019, 21:49   #10
john4p
Competition Moderator

It's okay...
Old 04 January 2019, 22:04   #11
capehorn

Oh I see, I have a config called F1 Domark and one called F1 GP, I loaded the wrong one!
Old 05 January 2019, 22:58   #12
capehorn

My other scores were completed on Professional so I thought I would try Expert. It took me ages to get past Spa, and once I finally did, I screwed up Monza, the easiest track IMO, in every conceivable way, barely qualifying. I somehow completed Estoril without a single crash/mistake on my first attempt on it at Expert level, and it's a good thing I did so well, as I still only qualified by making an overtake on the final straight.

I took Adelaide pretty safe to make sure I got to the end. Due to the poor run on Monza, the score wasn't that impressive.

Old 05 January 2019, 23:04   #13
john4p
Competition Moderator

Yeah, not much difference to your Professional-score.

But your late tactical voting seems to have payed off: unless Parpala posts a surprise score in the next two hours your fourth Knockout championship is basically a done deal. Only rexsu and Harry could've competed with you in Lotus 2.
I'll still put up a fight and try to at least get 60M...

Was a great battle between Parpala and you!

LinesMachine sadly seemed out of motivation - he was much better in the league round.

Final thread is up already. Gonna go sleep now. Should Parpala come up with a surprise score after all I'd change the thread tomorrow of course.
Old 06 January 2019, 00:39   #14
rexsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4p View Post
But your late tactical voting seems to have payed off: unless Parpala posts a surprise score in the next two hours your fourth Knockout championship is basically a done deal. Only rexsu and Harry could've competed with you in Lotus 2.
Honestly my only chance of winning this knockout would have been to beat Capehorn before the final
Old 06 January 2019, 02:18   #15
lifeschool
Local Moderator

capehorn - thats a big surprise, given your low scores in the competition. Didnt you once say you played a lot of the Vroom games already? Hopefully you will find more time for the rounds in this years league.
Old 06 January 2019, 11:27   #16
john4p
Competition Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexsu View Post
Honestly my only chance of winning this knockout would have been to beat Capehorn before the final
You've broken 70M before. But one week is probably too little time to get back to this level.
Old 06 January 2019, 14:10   #17
capehorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeschool View Post
capehorn - thats a big surprise, given your low scores in the competition. Didnt you once say you played a lot of the Vroom games already? Hopefully you will find more time for the rounds in this years league.

The only time I had ever played Vroom before was when it came up in the comp a few years ago, and I liked it then, I remember putting in quite a bit of effort to master the difficult third and fifth tracks and get to the end (I just check the old thread and it turns out I didn't manage it - funny how memory plays tricks on you). I hadn't played it at all inbetween then and now, but I enjoyed it even more this time. It really is a very good game. But my criticisms would be that it is too difficult to see the tyre warning light, it's a bit unfair when the light goes orange just as you pass the pit lane and you don't have enough tire left to get round another lap, the fuel gauge is misleading, and the super-slow cars don't add anything to the playability, at least four times I failed to qualify due to hitting one on the final lap and getting overtaken.

I don't have time to put in a real effort in the league anymore. But I'll dip in if I really enjoy a game. During the league round, I didn't even realise you were playing two different sets of tracks, or if I did, I didn't bother to do the second lot. But I have spare time over Christmas so I usually give the KO a good go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4p View Post
Yeah, not much difference to your Professional-score.

I'll still put up a fight and try to at least get 60M...

That's not the first time I've read about my late vote. I just had a look, and the only reason we were due to play James Pond instead is because you had voted for it about 20 minutes before me .

Nothing against James Pond which I like a lot, but it's very long and rewards putting in long sessions which isn't really what I felt like playing, especially as we had just finished playing it in the league. One of the downsides to voting late is you don't get to give your own favourite games much traction. I'd have much rather played Pinball Dreams and Rainbow Islands but they weren't in the running. I had no expectation of making the final anyway, the league showed me that I was much worse at Sensi than I thought, and having never played PGA before, I never thought I would get through it, a kind draw as got me this far.

I'm not writing you off at Lotus at all John, if there it one thing I know it's that you are not going to give up without a fight
Old 06 January 2019, 14:46   #18
john4p
Competition Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by capehorn View Post
That's not the first time I've read about my late vote. I just had a look, and the only reason we were due to play James Pond instead is because you had voted for it about 20 minutes before me .
Got me. It was actually you who thwarted my evil plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capehorn View Post
I'm not writing you off at Lotus at all John, if there it one thing I know it's that you are not going to give up without a fight
I'll give my best, starting with practicing the Marshes- and Storm-tracks (BAGLEY and E BOW), to get a decent final.