English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 16 September 2015, 16:34   #1
Overdoc
Commodore Collector

compatibility of IDE patched kick 1.3 for Amiga 600 ?

Hi,

I am thinking of getting one of Kipper2k's Kickrom adapters for my 'living room' gaming Amiga 600.
Until now, I used a kickswitcher PCB with Kick 2.05 for WHDLoad games, and Kick 1.3 for some games from disc, which don't work with Kick 2.05.

But now, since Kipper2k's adapter can be flashed, I am thinking of equipping it with Kick 2.05 and an IDE patched Kick 1.3, instead of the original Kick 1.3, so that I can also access the HD fom Kick 1.3 (makes sense for some games which have their own HD installer, but don't work or not good under Kick 2.05, for instance Monkey Island II)

Can anyone tell me if I have to expect to loose games compatibility with the IDE patched Kick 1.3 compared to the original Kick 1.3 ?

Thanks!
Old 16 September 2015, 17:37   #2
fgh

Haven't tried myself, but this is from the IDE patch readme:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDE patch readme
I tried to do as few modifications as necessary to keep it as compatible to the unmodified Kick 1.3 as possible, but there might be programs (games) that do not work with the modified version because:
  • The Kickstart mirror at $F80000 is replaced by the ROM containing the scsi.device
  • The scsi.device allocates some memory (and loads the filesystem into RAM).
  • There is a minimal change to the Kickstart itself to scan the new ROM area.
Otherwise, if you have 2MB chip and some fast RAM WHDLoad works well on A600 KS2.05.
Old 16 September 2015, 20:35   #3
Sandro
Banned

maybe you don't need a new flashed kickstart chip by kipper2k
you can create the new kickstart 1.3 then use a kickstart tool like skick or mkick to softkick the patched kickstart into the A600, then you can use the hardisk under kickstart 1.3
in this way the kickstart is not booteable but yet you can use the hardisk using mountlist entries

to make a booteable kickstart 1.3 you need to create a 512k kickstart 1.3 and you need a kickstart tool which support unknown 512k roms
it works in my A1200, but in the A600 surely will not work
Old 17 September 2015, 00:24   #4
Overdoc
Commodore Collector

Thanks for the compatibiliy, fgh, and thanks a lot for this suggestion, Sandro!
Now, since I am going to order a A608 card as well, I will have 2MB chipram and 8MB fastram, which should be more than enough to softkick 1.3.
Until now it never was an option, since I only had 2MB chipram and 2MB fastram via PCMCIA SRAM card. That is also the reason why WHDLoad games sometimes didn't work, because of pre-loading too much data, or softkicking kick 1.3, etc.

But now it should be possible, and since I only need it very rarely, I don't ned it bootable.

So, I think I will stick with Kick 2.05 and the original Kick 1.3 for booting games from disk, and only occasionally softkick the patched Kick 1.3 for natively HD installed games, which refuse to run under Kick 2.05.

Thanks a lot to both of you!
Old 17 September 2015, 00:37   #5
Retro1234
Phone Homer

What can you use to softkick the patchd kickstarts AFAIK Skick doesnt support unknown roms? I know you can then use a mount list.
:maybe Skick FORCE

Last edited by Retro1234; 17 September 2015 at 00:50.
Old 17 September 2015, 01:53   #6
Sandro
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Boo View Post
What can you use to softkick the patchd kickstarts AFAIK Skick doesnt support unknown roms? I know you can then use a mount list.
:maybe Skick FORCE
you are right Skick don't support unknown kickstarts or patched kickstarts
but you can use TUDE or relokick,
for the A1200 having a blizzard or apollo turboboard you can use blizkick or remapollo
in the case of the A600 I don't know exactly which kick tool could work there
Old 17 September 2015, 01:56   #7
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandro View Post
you are right Skick don't support unknown kickstarts or patched kickstarts
but you can use TUDE or relokick,
for the A1200 having a blizzard or apollo turboboard you can use blizkick or remapollo
in the case of the A600 I don't know exactly which kick tool work there

Thanks for the info after a quick google Skick might work with the FORCE command - do you think relokick or TUDE could work with patched Roms?
Old 17 September 2015, 09:49   #8
demolition
Unregistered User

The reason skick or any other software kickstart relocation tool can't work is that it has to patch the kickstart file according to its target location since it contains fixed addresses. This information is what the relocation files contain. So the only methods that will work with a kickstart that contains one or more fixed addresses without a relocation file are the hardware methods which can patch it in at the original address (or MMU methods that can do the same).

Edit: Alternatively, go through your patched kickstart with a disassembler and create a relocation file yourself.
Old 21 September 2015, 14:55   #9
Overdoc
Commodore Collector

Ok, thanks a lot for this info!

I think I will simply order 2 kickadapters from Kipper, one with Kick 2.05 and 1.3, and one with Kick 2.05 and the patched 1.3.
(maybe there's more than 1MB space in the eprom ? Then I will tell him to burn all 3 into one adapter)

I can then report back here how compatible the patched kick 1.3 is with old A-500 games.
Old 21 September 2015, 16:32   #10
Vot

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
The reason skick or any other software kickstart relocation tool can't work is that it has to patch the kickstart file according to its target location since it contains fixed addresses. This information is what the relocation files contain. So the only methods that will work with a kickstart that contains one or more fixed addresses without a relocation file are the hardware methods which can patch it in at the original address (or MMU methods that can do the same).

Edit: Alternatively, go through your patched kickstart with a disassembler and create a relocation file yourself.

The patched ones aren't hugely different so that isn't as crazy as it sounds.
Old 21 September 2015, 16:55   #11
Sandro
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdoc View Post
Ok, thanks a lot for this info!

I think I will simply order 2 kickadapters from Kipper, one with Kick 2.05 and 1.3, and one with Kick 2.05 and the patched 1.3.
(maybe there's more than 1MB space in the eprom ? Then I will tell him to burn all 3 into one adapter)

I can then report back here how compatible the patched kick 1.3 is with old A-500 games.
again you don't need kickadapters

1-extract the scsi.device in winuae or if you are lazy PM me I will send you
2-copy that scsi.device to a workbench 1.3 floppy ( devs directory)
3- in devs directory create the mount list entries for the partitions of your hardisks ( read docs on how to do it)
4-use relokick or skick or mkick or any other software to softkick to kickstart 1.3
5-insert the workbench 1.3 disk modified, open the shell window and type mount dh0:

btw, this trick works only on normal fastfilesystem partitions, don't work on SFS or PFS3