English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 08 February 2008, 23:33   #1
mgman1

If it doesn't exist, how do you explain this?

I remember at one point I mentioned that a friend of mine had a scan which included a screenshot in-game of Contra Amiga. If Contra on the Amiga doesn't exist, how do you explain this:

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n...ntra_Amiga.jpg

Old 08 February 2008, 23:40   #2
chiark
Needs a life

I simply can't. And I'm struggling to work out why you registered to make that your first post? I'm intrigued now!
Old 08 February 2008, 23:43   #3
mgman1

To be honest with you, I really don't know what to say. At this point, I don't know whether you're using a new account as opposed to an older one in which you must have known me before. If you aren't (I said I don't know), it's a long story in which I suggest you don't look into. If you do, be at least somewhat mature about it. But I mean, just worry about the topic.

Old 08 February 2008, 23:48   #4
Belgarath
HOL Team Member

lots and lots of games were advertised as coming out on a variety of platforms but either never got made or never got released..

one advert with a single poor screenshot is no proof of it's existence and neither is it proof that it was ever developed as it could be a mock up of what it would have looked like.

Do you really want to go through all this again?
Old 08 February 2008, 23:52   #5
DamienD
Banned

Damn Belgo, you beat me too it

My post was to be:

"There are many so "released" screenshots of Amiga games in Magazines etc... but at the end of the day the games were never released. The screenshots shown were early work-in-progess / mock-up..."

Anyway, the point is; posting some magazine AD hardly proves that the game actually exists...

Have a look at this thread for semi-related examples of the above; Bogus screen shots on game boxes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgarath View Post
Not really to be honest...

As long as this thread doesn't decent into another flame war episode then we'll keep it open.

@mgman1; some real proof like a demo or even better; the actual real game would be appreciated
Old 08 February 2008, 23:54   #6
chiark
Needs a life

I missed all this before. I genuinely have no clue what this is about, but your post hints of a riddle wrapped in an enigma hidden by a mystery. I don't know who you are - you're newer than me here, apparently - and am not trolling. I like a mystery.

And you finish your post with a flourish, asking me to "just worry about the topic."

I'm intrigued now.
Old 08 February 2008, 23:54   #7
s2325
Zone Friend

Oh yes, I remember now, here is bigger screenshot from this article and screenshots from WinUAE:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	biggerscreenshot.gif
Views:	375
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	15868   Click image for larger version

Name:	amigacontratitle.gif
Views:	315
Size:	6.5 KB
ID:	15869   Click image for larger version

Name:	amigacontraingame.gif
Views:	369
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	15870  
Old 08 February 2008, 23:58   #8
chiark
Needs a life

Oh blimey, I've done what you suggested and had a look into this.

I admire your determination in bringing up the subject again. Blimey, there's some history here. And at that point, I'm bowing out having added nothing (not even comedic interlude) to the thread!
Old 09 February 2008, 00:19   #9
Shoonay
Global Caturator

@mgman: you know, this isn't a international conspiracy "we haz it but we not gives it to you"
Despite the cheap look, I'd like another game like that and I'm sure most of the guys here at EAB would like too..
Old 09 February 2008, 00:26   #10
mgman1

Quote:
lots and lots of games were advertised as coming out on a variety of platforms but either never got made or never got released..

one advert with a single poor screenshot is no proof of it's existence and neither is it proof that it was ever developed as it could be a mock up of what it would have looked like.

It was NOT advertised as COMING OUT. It explained various versions already available. And quality of image has got nothing to do with it.

In the link you provided, it mainly focused on screenshots of claimed games that are really in fact taken from other ports or are fake shots. Well, can you tell me where else you see the screen I provided? Where else did it come up and noted as a beta phase? Or, at least, where else did you see that screen? How the hell does a company non-related to Konami get a WIP screening of game?

That comparison of the MSX game to the Amiga screen is to light. I played the MSX game and for sure I know that there is no resemblance in the level, let alone the whole graphics and game layout.

Oh, and give me a break regarding the damn scan. I'm no expert in increasing the quality, and neither is my friend. If you want to do that yourself, by all means... whatever that'll find or prove...

Old 09 February 2008, 00:28   #11
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5h00n4y View Post
@mgman: you know, this isn't a international conspiracy "we haz it but we not gives it to you"
Despite the cheap look, I'd like another game like that and I'm sure most of the guys here at EAB would like too..
Well said 5h00n4y

Here on EAB we love uncovering unrealesed games

@mgman1: just check out the project.aGTW section for example...

It's not that we don't believe you, we need more hard evidence

There are many hardcore Amiga "detectives" here on EAB who scout various resources for proof of a games existance.
Old 09 February 2008, 00:31   #12
mgman1

Well, so far I've been working at this to show evidence that it does exist. In all honesty, I haven't seen one thing yet that shows that it wasn't released. Please don't point me to the HOL (when it comes to the evidence), that thing is linked to the abime anyways and thus is just a component of the main site.

Old 09 February 2008, 00:34   #13
Shoonay
Global Caturator

So call me a non-believer, but I'm not considering it released until I'll be playing the WHDLoad version on my real A1200!
Old 09 February 2008, 00:39   #14
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgman1 View Post
Well, so far I've been working at this to show evidence that it does exist.
Cool, and please continue to do so... A dodgy magazine scan means nothing for the reasons pointed out above and also in your previous closed threads. Unless you have some "real" evidence, and I mean real then don't waste your time...

Trust me, I'm sure I say this for the whole Amiga community; "please prove us wrong"

Belgarath, Galaxy, CodyJarret, x_to, andreas and the rest of the HOL team are experts in Amiga gaming history. I hate to say it but if they haven't seen even a speckle of proof in all they're many years of Amiga game research that they've undertaken then personally I don't hold much hope.
Old 09 February 2008, 00:45   #15
mgman1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Cool, and please continue to do so... A dodgy magazine scan means nothing for the reasons pointed out above and also in your previous closed threads. Unless you have some "real" evidence, and I mean real then...

Belgarath, Galaxy, CodyJarret, x_to, andreas and the rest of the HOL team are experts in Amiga gaming history. I hate to say it but if they haven't even seen even a specle of proof in all there many years of Amiga game research that they've undertaken then personally I don't hold much hope.
Alright, let's clear something out. It wasn't from a magazine. It's not a magazine ad. It was taken from a box (or case?) inlay which showed some other great games put on various PC's. How much more real could it possibly be? I mean, I've been getting more and more real each time. Yet I haven't seen any REAL proof that it was cancelled. Just cause those people are seriously experienced with years, it doesn't mean they're always right. Everyone makes mistakes. Trust me, I'm not hoping that anyone holds their breath on this...

Old 09 February 2008, 01:08   #16
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Alright, let's clear something out. It wasn't from a magazine. It's not a magazine ad. It was taken from a box (or case?) inlay which showed some other great games put on various PC's. How much more real could it possibly be?
Well, just look in the section I posted above. There are many examples of magazine / box / whatever images shown that never eventuated...

Quote:
I mean, I've been getting more and more real each time. Yet I haven't seen any REAL proof that it was cancelled.
The proof so far for it not ever existing is that it has never surfaced after many, many, many years... Unless you know a person on the development team who has an unreleased beta or something then I personally don't hold much hope...

Quote:
Just cause those people are seriously experienced with years, it doesn't mean they're always right. Everyone makes mistakes.
Very true, I agree. It's just that you're argument is stacked against heavy odds. Years and years of research by numerous people vs. only one box scan or whatever...

Again I'll say: please give us real proof as nobody else in the whole Amiga community has ever seen even a speckle

Anyway, this is getting repetative yet again
Old 09 February 2008, 01:13   #17
Belgarath
HOL Team Member

I'm inclined to believe an amiga version was in development, and possibly fairly complete but for whatever reason it was not released.

An advert saying it was available for the amiga does in no way constitute as proof that it was ever released, the adverts could have been printed up before the amiga version was cancelled.

If such a famous game like contra had been released on the Amiga there would have been a lot more proof of it's existence by now, the fact that all there is is an advert and a couple of screenshots says pretty conclusively that it never came out.

edit: and believe me I'd really really love it if there was an amiga version, it would be great if we were proved wrong but there is NO proof.
Old 09 February 2008, 01:33   #18
mgman1

Quote:
I'm inclined to believe an amiga version was in development, and possibly fairly complete but for whatever reason it was not released.

An advert saying it was available for the amiga does in no way constitute as proof that it was ever released, the adverts could have been printed up before the amiga version was cancelled.

If such a famous game like contra had been released on the Amiga there would have been a lot more proof of it's existence by now, the fact that all there is is an advert and a couple of screenshots says pretty conclusively that it never came out.

edit: and believe me I'd really really love it if there was an amiga version, it would be great if we were proved wrong but there is NO proof.
As much as I agree that a game like Contra couldn't have gone by unnoticed considering its praise, there are still those (vast majority) that mock it and don't like it. Many of them, I've seen here, in this forums (I'm not saying names, nor am I pointing at anyone here, in this thread).

Contrary to popular belief that a preview/demo of Gryzor on ZX Spectrum never existed to the public, I found it. I in fact found 2 different demos, one of which even Mark Jones didn't remember. The other, he believed of having something which wasn't really in it (no offense towards you Mark, just pointing out 8) ) I did the same thing with the Commodore 64 and Amstrad: recovered demo/preview of Gryzor that was thought to not exist. Only this is being a hard egg.

Though I have mentioned it a year ago, I think it's noteworthy now considering many may have forgotten: a user on the broken Contra Database forums has played the Amiga game. If I could re-contact him, I could confirm a shitload more...

Old 09 February 2008, 01:46   #19
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
show him the link to SuperC from konami....utter shit pouahh
Old 09 February 2008, 01:48   #20
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
As much as I agree that a game like Contra couldn't have gone by unnoticed considering its praise, there are still those (vast majority) that mock it and don't like it. Many of them, I've seen here, in this forums (I'm not saying names, nor am I pointing at anyone here, in this thread).

Contrary to popular belief that a preview/demo of Gryzor on ZX Spectrum never existed to the public, I found it. I in fact found 2 different demos, one of which even Mark Jones didn't remember. The other, he believed of having something which wasn't really in it (no offense towards you Mark, just pointing out 8) ) I did the same thing with the Commodore 64 and Amstrad: recovered demo/preview of Gryzor that was thought to not exist. Only this is being a hard egg.

Though I have mentioned it a year ago, I think it's noteworthy now considering many may have forgotten: a user on the broken Contra Database forums has played the Amiga game. If I could re-contact him, I could confirm a shitload more...
If Contra was released on Amiga, it would have been cracked and available for a long time. just because it 'might' have gotten a single US release, didn't stop games from being cracked and released across the world.

Prince of Persia is a case in point, US released by Broderbund, Angels cracked it a full year before it was released in Europe, Same with Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and any other US version (Out of this World/Another World).

Quite simply, if the Amiga version was EVER in the shops and retailed, it WOULD have been cracked, WITHOUT QUESTION.

The fact it never was, speaks volumes.

Of course, if you can prove me wrong, then its a win for everyone because we get to play it