English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 12 October 2018, 13:40   #1
Snowwie

Send a message via ICQ to Snowwie
Is this powerbrick genuine?

https://www.c64psu.com/c64psu/56-174...a1200-psu.html

My current A1200 stock power brick has already trouble with 2 extra disk drives attached to the Amiga. I just bought an ACA1233N accelerator and I am afraid the old PSU cannot handle that.
So I stumbled across this, seemingly, interesting NEW, far more powerful PSU for the Amiga. With 2.5 times the power of a stock A1200 PSU.
But I cannot find any topics related to this PSU, and this company is based in Poland. Has anybody experience with this PSU? Is it any good? Trustworthy to order?

Last edited by Snowwie; 12 October 2018 at 16:50.
Old 12 October 2018, 13:47   #2
Daedalus

I have heard of a couple of people using them and being happy with them. They're based on a standard industrial power supply module that a lot of people have used for refitting their original power bricks, so there's a decent bit of history there with them too.

Depending on the original PSU you have, it might also be possible to repair it or replace its innards with a similar module, but unless you're doing the work yourself, the cost involved might not be that much less than a brand new unit, so ultimately not really worth it.
Old 12 October 2018, 16:47   #3
Hewitson

Do these power supplies use a Meanwell PSU?
Old 12 October 2018, 16:54   #4
Snowwie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
Depending on the original PSU you have, it might also be possible to repair it or replace its innards with a similar module, but unless you're doing the work yourself, the cost involved might not be that much less than a brand new unit, so ultimately not really worth it.
My current PSU is not broken, it is simply to light to handle all the hardware attached to it. It can output only 22,2watt, and these days we stuff more and more hardware into our Amiga's.

Old 12 October 2018, 16:58   #5
Hewitson

I always thought the heavyweight A500 PSU's were the best. I didn't realise they actually output less power than the lightweight ones.
Old 12 October 2018, 17:02   #6
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Where does this tab come from?
Old 12 October 2018, 17:21   #7
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
Do these power supplies use a Meanwell PSU?
I can't say for certain, but the specs match 100% in every detail (there was initially a detailed spec sheet available with ripple etc.) so I can't imagine it being anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowwie View Post
My current PSU is not broken, it is simply to light to handle all the hardware attached to it. It can output only 22,2watt, and these days we stuff more and more hardware into our Amiga's.
How much do you stuff into your Amiga, and what do all these items consume power-wise? Because 20W is more than enough for an A1200, 68030 and mechanical hard drive. So if your PSU can't power it all, it's faulty. Failure doesn't always mean something stops working altogether, it can also mean that it doesn't work as well as it's supposed to. For example, if the smoothing capacitors are worn out, the ripple on the output will increase more than it's supposed to as load increases, causing instability as you add extra hardware, even if you're well within the rating of the supply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
I always thought the heavyweight A500 PSU's were the best. I didn't realise they actually output less power than the lightweight ones.
Yeah, that's another common belief, but in reality doesn't tell you much. I have heavy supplies with high and low outputs and light supplies with high and low outputs. Ultimately, the only real way to tell a supply's capacity is to look at the ratings on the case.
Old 12 October 2018, 17:23   #8
Hewitson

Quote:
Ultimately, the only real way to tell a supply's capacity is to look at the ratings on the case.
To be fair I have never actually owned a lightweight PSU. I just assumed they wouldn't be as good.
Old 12 October 2018, 17:31   #9
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

I've bought a lightweight A500/600 for my A1200 back then, since the original heavy brick had not enough power for my hdd and turbocard (sporadically freezes). Works still great. 4,5 amp on 5V and you should have no problems with additional hardware.

I can't say anthing about this Amiga PSU. But i bought his C64 PSU (revision 6 or 7 atm) and it works great since a few weeks.
Old 13 October 2018, 07:06   #10
Snowwie

Quote:
How much do you stuff into your Amiga, and what do all these items consume power-wise? Because 20W is more than enough for an A1200, 68030 and mechanical hard drive. So if your PSU can't power it all, it's faulty. Failure doesn't always mean something stops working altogether, it can also mean that it doesn't work as well as it's supposed to. For example, if the smoothing capacitors are worn out, the ripple on the output will increase more than it's supposed to as load increases, causing instability as you add extra hardware, even if you're well within the rating of the supply.
Not that much. At the moment it houses a 2,5" 80GB ide harddisk (temporary) and there are 2 external floppy drives attached. Ever since I added the 2nd floppy drive the image started to flicker every time the drives 'click'. So I added the command 'anticlick' to the startup-sequence to stop the drive clicking and the image on the screen then stops flicker. It seems that the simultaneously clicking of 3 drives (df0, df1 and df2) draw so much power from the brick it interferes the video output (which is btw a general RGB to Scart), hooked on a 34 or 36" Sony LCD TV.

I did not insert the turbocard yet, but I have read that back in the day when these PSU's were made they were never intended for all the extra hardware we put in today. So, extra power is not a luxury.

Anybody so more input about the new power brick? So many users here, I can't imagine nobody has this brick, or the psu is just brand new, just on the market (like Workbench 3.1.4). :-)

Ps. my A1200 has been recapped 2 weeks ago. :-)

Last edited by Snowwie; 13 October 2018 at 07:18.
Old 13 October 2018, 07:21   #11
Dot77

I bought this PSU. Previously i used the lightweight A500 PSU with 5V/4.5A specs. It was working fine but i liked the idea of having a modern PSU replacement for my Amiga too (i have one for C64).

I do a whole lot of audio recording and this new PSU dropped noise floor about 7.8 dB against the commodore PSU (with the same exact setup, except the PSU difference). I'm for sure happy about it, even if it really doesn't matter recording quality wise (noise floor with the old PSU was low enough for good quality recordings).

I'm using A1200 (recapped, but otherwise unmodded - RF modulator still in place etc.) with ACA1233n-40MHz/w RTC module, Indivision AGA MK2cr and both PCMCIA-CF and IDE-CF adapters in use.

So no regrets buying this PSU thusfar.

Last edited by Dot77; 14 October 2018 at 16:12. Reason: Incorrect MHz on ACA specs
Old 19 October 2018, 04:05   #12
Snowwie

I have gotten the PSU. The ACA1233N is shipped by Amigastore. The new PSU makes the output video better, but not perfect, when 2 floppy drives are attached. Only I slight wobble in the image is visible when the drives click. So after installing Workbench 3.1.4 I also put "antiklik" back in the C directory. Besides, who wants to hear that clicking anyway? Now I have to wait until the ACA1233N card arrives. I cannot format the 29GB DH1 partition on the CF card when having only 2MB of chipram memory, even not when blocksize is set to 4,096. But this PSU seems okay, it's smaller, lighter, but still firm enough to put it next to your Amiga without eating your desk. :-)
Old 19 October 2018, 10:25   #13
Daedalus

Ah, when I said that the filter capacitors could be worn out, I meant the ones in the PSU, not the Amiga. This can cause issues with power regulation at a lower power consumption than normal, resulting in interference and instability.

But good to see that the Amiga's recapped anyway (and I approve of the Wuerth capacitors - I use them too ).

As I said, I don't know this supply in particular, but an earlier spec sheet had specs that entirely matched those of the Mean well RPT-50B, which is a module I've tested and used for replacement Amiga supplies. During my testing I found that it was very stable, and had ripple levels well within the ATX specifications for a modern PC.

Another point to bear in mind however is that I remember reading that there are some A1200 revisions that are susceptible to video interference from the floppy drive(s). Perhaps yours is one of these boards? It's a simple fix, but I can't remember the details or revisions it applies to. Chucky would know...
Old 22 October 2018, 21:32   #14
Sephnroth

I refurbed an atx psu for my 1200 - I know not everyone is a fan of the idea but its a fairly common mod and has been stable for me. I would not recommend if you are not certain about what you are doing or have faith in whatever PSU you have.

For me was perfect as I had a good one laying around and I just needed to find a severed cable end on ebay, which I did (which was also lucky). My machine is pushing a fully unlocked ACA 1221 + floppy (was gotek, now back to traditional) + HC CF card + cdrom drive + usb mouse (converted to 9pin, no usb header) + PCMCIA ethernet.
Old 22 October 2018, 22:22   #15
idrougge

Quote:
Another point to bear in mind however is that I remember reading that there are some A1200 revisions that are susceptible to video interference from the floppy drive(s). Perhaps yours is one of these boards? It's a simple fix, but I can't remember the details or revisions it applies to. Chucky would know...
Looks like the OP has a 1D4 board, which is susceptible to screen interference. This is solved by installing a single 1 µF capacitor on the motherboard.