English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 24 August 2006, 16:46   #1
_ThEcRoW
Amiga Geek

Siamese over serial

Well, as the title implies i'm looking for people that have or has running the siamese system rtg v2.5 over serial(null modem cable).
Well i load up the server configured to boot up as well the mount pc device, but i can't get the pc icon on my workbench indicating that the pc drives are mounted. Also from the pc side if i click on the "switch to Amiga" icon on the tray, i only get a black screen, and if i do a keypress or a mouse movement, it freezes the Amiga, then go to guru screen.
The system i actually am using is an Amiga 1200 68ec020 2mb chip + 800mb hd and cdrw drive over the in-built ide device.
Have tried all the possible combinations on both sides, but got nothing . Anybody can help me?. The serial cable is working, because amiga explorer works like a charm with that cable.
I want to see the pc drives at least!!!!!!!!
Help!!!!!
Thanks in advance!!!
AdSense AdSense  
Old 25 August 2006, 18:49   #2
_ThEcRoW
Amiga Geek

Bump!!
Old 25 August 2006, 23:11   #3
alewis
Monochrome and 8 bit

No offence meant, but are you running a legit copy, or a "cracked" copy? (not that I care, tbh!) I had a hand in developing SiSys many, many years ago, the symptoms you describe are similar to those using a cracked copy.

Anyway, assuming that it is legit

What OS are you running on the PC? SiSys was designed for Win9x. Mileage varied under WinNT, and i never got it going with w2k. Never tried XP.
Ensure the parallel port dongle is tightly fitted to the Amiga
When the Amiga does a black screen/freeze, bring up TaskManager on the PC (ctrl-alt-del), find the Sisys application, and kill it, then restart SiSys on the PC.
What version WB are you using? Sisys was only tested to KS3/WB3 before HiQ pulled out.
Check serial port settings, using a standard serial device you can't really hope for anything >19200 baud.
Old 26 August 2006, 11:20   #4
_ThEcRoW
Amiga Geek

Well, im using v2.5 the one that came withouth dongle. Is original. Also the serial port works because Amiga Explorer works well through the serial port.
Im using ks 3.1 and os 3.1 on the Amiga side.On the pc side im using w95 second edition, wich i recall was supported by hiq.
Old 26 August 2006, 16:48   #5
alewis
Monochrome and 8 bit

Have you tried killing and restarting SiSys on the PC when this happens (before the guru)

Also, I'm not 100% sure 2.5 worked under KS3.1 - it was tested under KS3.0, that I know. I might have a developers v3 somewhere around here, will have a gander.

EDIT: Hmm, all a few old "SiSys v3.x" disks, I'll have a sort through them.

I've also noticed that my dongle is not in my RTG2.5 box... god knows where it is, and v2.5 *does* require dongle. IIRC the developers software was unprotected... and the disks are all coming up as "unreadable" on the Amiga :-(

EDIT2: Ah, its coming back.. they are PC formatted disks, so one can install the pc executables to a PC... will have a play later

Last edited by alewis; 26 August 2006 at 18:01.
Old 27 August 2006, 03:31   #6
alewis
Monochrome and 8 bit

Ok, just installed v3.9 on both machines. Something isn't right, there is no connectivity.

Will double chck the install tomorow (today), prolly by installing 3.2 then applying patches. Oh, and I'm using ethernet too.

Will let u know.
Old 27 August 2006, 17:07   #7
adolescent
Powered by Motorola

Did you edit the SISYS.INI on the PC side to match the baud rate, port, and most importantly "use_ip=0"? Make sure to run SISYS.EXE on the PC first and then run the server program on the Amiga (and make sure it's tooltypes match the baud rate, port, etc.). Also make sure only one copy of SISYS.EXE is running on the PC (use task manager...)

BTW, I use SiSys 2.5 via Ethernet on OS3.9.
Old 27 August 2006, 22:02   #8
_ThEcRoW
Amiga Geek

Yes i tried to restart the sisys program on the tray and it keep not working.
Use-ip=0 is for tcp/ip related connection, isn't it? i think that for the serial cable isn't needed. All my baud rates and settings are the same on both sides.
2.5 doesn't require dongle from i recall, are you sure you aren't using v2.1?
Thanks!!!
Old 30 August 2006, 16:32   #9
_ThEcRoW
Amiga Geek

Bump!
Old 30 August 2006, 21:28   #10
alewis
Monochrome and 8 bit

"use-ip=0" *disable* (if thats the right word) sisys via tcp (if you want sisys to communicate using ethernet and ip, you'd set it to 1, and add the line use_port=5050). Although I don't *think* it is necessary, its wise to check that it is in the sisys.ini file given the PC has an IP stack built into it...

Oh, I'm *sure* I'm using v2.5 - it says so on the large purpley/green box it came in. Found the dongle at long last. I'm not 100% sure it will work under XP, as it uses the parallel port (bugger, i disable mine out of habit as I don't need a parallel port for anything...)

PM me an email address
Old 30 August 2006, 22:14   #11
adolescent
Powered by Motorola

Dongle works fine in XP with NT driver installed. (Later versions of 2.5 didn't need a dongle...)

The odd thing is you say you see the SiSys icon in the tray. In my experience, this doesn't show up until things are connected. What parts are you running on the Amiga side? Try disabling all but something like timesync and see what happens.
Old 31 August 2006, 00:32   #12
alewis
Monochrome and 8 bit

NT driver? What NT driver.... no NT driver on the install disk.
Old 31 August 2006, 16:34   #13
_ThEcRoW
Amiga Geek

Only have on the amiga side the server(wich is neccessary and the mount pc). When i switch from the pc on the icon tray, it freezes and gurus the Amiga.
Ip is neccessary although i'm using serial?
Thanks!!!
Old 31 August 2006, 23:09   #14
alewis
Monochrome and 8 bit

No, but the line "use_ip=0" *is*necessary - it disables IP communication.

Check that the shared device name on the PC matches that set on the Amiga (by default, the Amiga tries to open SHAREDC, iirc).

I think though, the problem is on the Amiga side; if clicking the icon on the PC causes the Amiga to crash, the problem is local to the Amiga. What source are you using for the Amiga install? There were a flurry of updates for 2.5, and then 3.x. Check the ngio.library and siamese.ibrary (I think thats right names under 2.5, Amiga is off atm, and I cant find the 2.5 PC install disk. Differing versions (between the components) could cause issues.

Crikey, some memories of beta testing are coming back!
Old 01 September 2006, 09:59   #15
alewis
Monochrome and 8 bit

Not enough though.

Sisys appears in the systray, but clicking on it does nothing.

I *still* can't find the PC install disk, so I tried a few upgrades. Including one where the sysys.exe file is some 700kb in length(!). Partial success - clicking on sisys.exe brings up a black screen on the PC, with a mouse pointer. Clicking on the Amiga brings up a grey screen with a mouse pointer, although its movements are restricted to the top left quarter of the screen.

I'm thinking it might be an old version, as there are *lot* of entries in the ng diectory, iirc these reduced as time went by. One think I curse Paul for - is not putting any version information in the software! Revision tracking would have been much easier!

I'm now buggered in that my Amiga floppy is not working, so trying to sync what ison each rig is a PITA. I'm also looking for a null-modem cable to test serial comms (I *wish* I had my backup tapes, the manual is very unclear over IP configuration in the tooltypes.)
Old 02 September 2006, 15:37   #16
_ThEcRoW
Amiga Geek

I searched on my libs: directory and only found a drawer called ng containing ng.library. The siamese.library you talked about wasn't on my system. Where could be that library?.
Old 02 September 2006, 16:13   #17
_ThEcRoW
Amiga Geek

Found the siamese.library under the sisys/libs directory, but the ng.library is on sys/libs/ng/ng.library. Shouldn't be at the libs dir directly instead of a ng directory?.
Added the line use-ip=0 on my sisys.ini(pc side) file, but happens the same, when click on the sisys system tray icon the screen goes black and the Amiga freezes and gurus, BUT, if the sisys.exe is running (pc side) and reset the Amiga and run the siamese (sisyswb icon) on the Amiga, it remains as is until i move the pointer on the pc side or press a key on the pc keyboard(at the black screen), then the Amiga freezes and gurus.
Neither the rtg are showed or the pc drawer containing my mounted pc devices, so i'm really frustrated at it.
Old 03 September 2006, 00:21   #18
alewis
Monochrome and 8 bit

Ditto. If only I could find the original 2.5 PC disk... I will try to persuade a certain Mr Nolan to lend some assistance, but don't hold your breath!

I'll also ask to confirm whether the v1.04 software I have really is what I remember - Sisys TNG (the succesor to SiSys v3) or just wistful thinking. I'm positive I remember this in beta, and the library version strengthens this as it is v1.5, whereas v2.x and 3.x supplied libraries are version 1.0

Sisys.library should be in either sisys:libs or libs: (I stick it in both), and ng.library the same, in either sisys:libs or libs: Just a thought, check that sisys: is assigned, and also added to the path , in s:user-startup
Old 03 September 2006, 15:31   #19
_ThEcRoW
Amiga Geek

I have searched on my installation and the Sisys.library isn't on my computer. Perhaps it has another name on v2.5?
Old 03 September 2006, 17:37   #20
adolescent