English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 24 March 2010, 16:08   #1
zombie10k

Issue with Indivision AGA 1200 on NTSC system (no display) - FIXED

Hi all - I recently picked up an Indivision AGA1200 for my NTSC Amiga 1200 from a trusted member over at amiga.org who used it briefly on an A1200 Tower project (PAL system i'd imagine)

I have tried it on 2 different A1200's with no success. The card is firmly seated against the motherboard, all pins are clean, nothing is bent. When I power on the computer, my 19" CRT and 2 different Dell LCD's will not respond via the VGA port.

There aren't the typical 'scan signal out range' errors, there is simply no display. I am using the composite output to nagivate the OS, tried different NTSC resolutions with no luck. I also downloaded the firmware update from www.icomp.de but I cannot seem to get either the firmware or the adjustment application to run. I click on them, and the memory goes down a bit, but no interfaces appear. This is a standard kickstart 3.1/OS 3.1 installation.

Any suggestions are most appreciated, I've been waiting since 1994 to see my A1200 without the flicker. thank you!!

Last edited by zombie10k; 25 March 2010 at 16:27. Reason: added info on how this issue was solved
Old 25 March 2010, 16:24   #2
zombie10k

update, hopefully someone will find this in a search and find it useful.

The older versions of the indivision software (v1.0) will let the firmware app run and tell you if the card is connected on not. I put a large amount of pressure on the board and could temporarily get the firmware app to see the board.

I carefully pulled the pins on the board forward a bit with a small exacto knife blade and a pair of jewelers glasses. The issue was still there. I then sanded the surface of the indivision connector using 100 grit, perforated drywall sandpaper. This allows the sanded material to fall through the holes and won't clog up.I had to take down enough so that the edge of the pins were just exposed.

I finally have it where it works without applying any pressure. I flashed the firmware to 1.5, and used the configuration app to make a few changes for my NTSC display.

It works great and is a blast to see my 16 year old amiga with a crystal clear, non flickering image!
Old 25 March 2010, 20:54   #3
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
update, hopefully someone will find this in a search and find it useful.

The older versions of the indivision software (v1.0) will let the firmware app run and tell you if the card is connected on not. I put a large amount of pressure on the board and could temporarily get the firmware app to see the board.

I carefully pulled the pins on the board forward a bit with a small exacto knife blade and a pair of jewelers glasses. The issue was still there. I then sanded the surface of the indivision connector using 100 grit, perforated drywall sandpaper. This allows the sanded material to fall through the holes and won't clog up.I had to take down enough so that the edge of the pins were just exposed.

I finally have it where it works without applying any pressure. I flashed the firmware to 1.5, and used the configuration app to make a few changes for my NTSC display.

It works great and is a blast to see my 16 year old amiga with a crystal clear, non flickering image!
I done a big post on this, regarding sanding it down, you must have one from the very early batch. The brown connector inidivision needed sanding.