English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.ClassicWB

Old 01 August 2004, 10:37   #1
Macca
Zone Friend

Screenmodes Explained

Just while I noticed the topic - nothing to do with SFS but with ClassicWB itself. I can get this working with no problems on WinUAE (using the HD from my Amiga) but if I try and use it on proper Amiga (using the same HD) then it doesn't unzip. Not sure why but it just jumps from the bit where it's looking for System.zip to the next stage.

It's crazy as really there is no reason why it should not work - the drives DH0: and has the system.zip on there (as obviously shown by using it in WinUAE and it works first time).

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Macca.
Old 01 August 2004, 12:57   #2
Macca
Zone Friend

Roll eyes (sarcastic) Another off topic question..

One other quick thing...

I am using a PC monitor from my real Amiga - I have now transferred the O/S to there but when it's in Super High Res Laced it flickers. I knock it to Super High Res (not laced) and the screen is smaller even at the same specifications (1280x256) anyone know how to get it to the same size as the icons don't look right...

Many thanks,

Macca
Old 01 August 2004, 22:40   #3
Bloodwych

The install problem I've covered in the other thread - possibly something to do with your maxtransfer/mask values in HDtoolbox or hardware related.

The ClassicWB comes in 2 default screenmodes:
  • hi-res has essentially a 2:1 pixel ratio - for 15KHz (horizontal frequency) TV displays - Classic FULL/LITE
  • hi-res laced has essentially a 1:1 pixel ratio - proportioned similar to PC 30KHz+ (horizontal frequency) displays - Classic ADV/ADVSP
All the ClassicWBs come setup ready for display on TV sets to ensure maximum compatibility. Only the FULL/LITE versions are designed for TV displays however using a 2:1 pixel ratio and running non-interlaced, same as most Amiga games. The other versions run initially in interlaced (flicker) mode in order to have the necessary 1:1 pixel ratio, the same ratio as a PC display.

TVs can’t display a 1:1 pixel ratio without flicker & hence being interlaced. Only PC monitors, special multisync displays and scan doublers allow such a ratio to be flicker free.

In order to use ADV/ADVSP with a PC monitor, you have to drag monitor files out of the storage/monitors drawer into the devs/monitors drawer. For even better compatibility with PC monitors, a VGA file can be dragged over which increases frequencies slightly. The reason they are not there to start with is they take up memory, so are user choice depending on their setup. Once these files have been dragged over, screenmode prefs will present you with new display options like dbl-PAL and productivity. More info can be found by searching the net as to what files are needed.

Problem is if you use a PC CRT monitor, you won’t be able to play games because they require a display capable of syncing down to a 15Khz TV display, something PC monitors don’t support (not sure about LCD limitations, never owned one). So unless you only plan on using workbench, a PC monitor is pretty useless.

What’s needed for ClassicWB ADV/ADVSP is ideally a multisync monitor or a scan doubler. Another option is to run magictv as described in the readme files. This reduces flicker on 15KHz TV displays. You are limited to a 16 colour workbench however, so it won’t work as well with a 64/32 colour ADVSP or ADV+copperdemon addon. ADV with no addons is already 16 colour.

Hope this helps.

Can a mod please move these last three posts to the end of the Support and News Thread - Thanks!

Last edited by Bloodwych; 02 August 2004 at 21:44.
Old 02 August 2004, 19:55   #4
Macca
Zone Friend

Roll eyes (sarcastic)

Thanks for the info - sorry to clutter up the wrong thread - doh!

Macca.
Old 02 August 2004, 21:19   #5
Bloodwych

Hey no problem! Not practical always finding the right thread. I just hope you managed to make sense out of all that gibberish as I wrote it fairly late last night.

The only reason I want it moving is in case someone has a similar question. Saves me time in the future having posts in one place. Perhaps I'll go back through and make clearer.....
Old 02 August 2004, 23:17   #6
Macca
Zone Friend

Big grin

Perhaps a sticky Classic Workbench troubleshooting thread is what's really required?

The gibberish did indeed make sense - however as the 8MB expansion thing is knackered at the moment (until I get more RAM to test it with) I'm using WinUAE to set everything up then I'll just transfer it back to the 'real' Amiga.

It is a great little product and I encourage everyone to use it! (free plugs now as well!).

Macca
Old 03 August 2004, 20:38   #7
Bloodwych

Guess what's has happened Macca?

My own little sub forum with me as mod so I can sort out the posts myself.

EDIT: Done! Thread split and renamed.

Last edited by Bloodwych; 04 August 2004 at 21:00.