English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 07 July 2017, 16:03   #41
viddi

Quote:
Originally Posted by viddi View Post
Of course I work closely together with Richard.
We prefer quality made in Germany.
We may offer digital versions.

A new online shop is in the works.

BTW, Reshoot costs 19€ incl. shipping atm.
Don't tell me you want it even cheaper.

www.amiworx.de/summersale
Old 10 July 2017, 11:13   #42
buzzybee

@Amigajay: As a matter of fact the global highscore thing never worked on RESHOOT ... but will on RESHOOT R. The website is almost finished. I also aim for local highscore save. Need yet to find out how to access the NV-RAM on CD32 :-)
Old 26 July 2017, 20:18   #43
buzzybee

Sceneworld talks to me about Persian Gulf Inferno, Amiga Joker and other retrostuff in their latest podcast. Also, moving pictures from RESHOOT R are being spotted. Might be worth a look.
Old 26 July 2017, 20:26   #44
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzybee View Post
Which is not too much so far; support has been stronger on the first game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Regarding support, I think there's a bunch of people interested, just maybe not all of us can support the Patreon But I am definitely interested in purchasing this one this time around.
Richard; I think Akira summed it up quite well.

...would be great if you showed updates in this thread as well as on Patreon

It would definitely gear up more interest if we could actually see the new development going on.
Old 26 July 2017, 20:56   #45
DamienD
Banned

Ok, just watched your latest podcast.

Noticed you said that you are surprised that there hasn't been more support and you've done numerous things to try to get more support but don't know where it's going wrong... You're clearly doing loads of events / interviews / demos etc. which is all good

Myself and others did mention in your "Reshoot" thread though... Patreon is not the way to go and this is the soul reason why there's been poor support...

I mean, it's really up to you how you want to show updates / market / distribute etc. but the whole idea of monthly subscriptions to me sucks so for that reason I don't bother.

Just being honest (again, like I was in the Reshoot thread).

Reshoot-R looks a lot better than Reshoot so of course we'd all like to see you succeed / finish the game
Old 26 July 2017, 21:01   #46
buzzybee

@DamienD: I can totally understand you –and many others - don´t like the idea of monthly support for an artist. But the Patreon-idea basically works, that´s being proven by lots of artists in other areas. Patreon enables artists to actually earn a bit of money while they are being creative.

I honestly want to thank those few Patreons who actually support development of RESHOOT R. But less than 10 people is a bit underwhelming really.

Anyway, Patreon simple doesnt work for RESHOOT R – I got that now. That´s why I am thinking about putting up a Indiegogo campaign. Any thoughts on that?
Old 26 July 2017, 21:14   #47
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Anyway, Patreon simple doesnt work for RESHOOT R – I got that now. That´s why I am thinking about putting up a Indiegogo campaign. Any thoughts on that?
...never heard of Indiegogo so really can't comment.

I do understand that actually earning a bit of money while being creative helps.

All I can say is that there are quite a few new Amiga games threads here on EAB and as far as I know, all have been / or will be quite successful:

... AlarCity (not released yet)
... Bridge Strike (not released yet)
... Lumerjack Reloaded
... Powerglove (not released yet)
... Tanks Furry
... Tiger Claw (not released yet)

I for one have paid for "Lumberjack Reloaded" and "Tanks Furry" already. Also prepaid for "AlarCity" even though not sure of the release date yet. As soon as "Bridge Strike", "Powerglove" and "Tiger Claw" are available I'll definitely be getting those as well. Note that I will only purchase digital downloads so you should have that option also.

Anyway, the point is that none of the above games used sites like Patreon / Kickstarter etc... they just posted here (and probably many other Amiga forums), gave great / frequent updates to drum up interest etc. as far as I'm aware.

Maybe try talking to the authors of the above games to see what works for them?
Old 26 July 2017, 21:55   #48
Overflow

Its why I asked you, Richard, to be more active on forum with updates. Once or twice a month helps alot even if there isnt much to report.
People needs reminding that a project is alive.

Take Kalematees patreon. It went from idle to 270ish per month in a few weeks.

You have set the bar for updates on forum so high, that you are hurting yourself.
Old 26 July 2017, 22:08   #49
klx300r

I'll definitely buy this when released
Old 26 July 2017, 22:21   #50
buzzybee

@Overflow: Just to put things into perspective: I just had a look at Kalematees patreon. It is almost half a year old, has a very wide target audience (open source software) and still only gathers 273 US-Dollars. So that counts as a success?!

Anyway, Patreon seems to be the wrong platform for a very small target audience like an Amiga-game these days. I will definitely try other means of support from potential gamers. Maybe just plain and simple preorder.

The support from the development community is great anyway. Kevin delivers amazing pixels; Altraz has composed music, which has more drive than almost anything I ever heard on the Amiga. Thomas has setup a global highscore ranking website that not only looks cool, but already works like a charm. I can´t be more happier than being able to work with such talented guys.
Old 26 July 2017, 22:23   #51
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Maybe just plain and simple preorder.
Yup, I'd commit to that (but please do have a digital download option)

...plus loads of various forum exposure. Just like Overflow said, even if there isn't that much to report. People still like to see updates no matter how small. Keeps the game fresh in the mind.
Old 26 July 2017, 22:40   #52
Overflow

Well, it went from 63 to 273 in a week or two. What changed? We the users started posting frequently about his situation.
The difference was massivly increased visibility.
If you say hello once every 4 months, you cant expect people to notice.
I often miss new threads cause Im on the move workwise, and during a 5 minute break read and mark forums as read.

If a thread is active I wont miss it just cause I ignored it one day.
If a thread is active once per quarter, alot of us will.

Imho.
Old 26 July 2017, 23:31   #53
buzzybee

@Overflow: You are certainly right. It´d be better to post more; not just here, but on several other platforms too. But that would take away time from my family, my job and – last not least - development time for RESHOOT R. So it´s difficult to get the balance right :-)
Old 27 July 2017, 05:00   #54
Amiga1992

Quote:
But the Patreon-idea basically works, that´s being proven by lots of artists in other areas. Patreon enables artists to actually earn a bit of money while they are being creative.

Here is the issue and with what I say I don't mean to demean you or your work, but as you said, it works for "artists", not for game developers.

As I also spoke in the previous thread, Patreon works when there are things "coming out" frequently that people can use/enjoy on a regular basis, like, pages of a comic, songs, pins, stickers, etc etc etc. You have no such things, just a game by the end of the development circle, so a subscription method seems odd and misplaced, but that doesn't mean there is no interest in your game.

Indiegogo gets a lot of bad rep so I am not sure. I would just plain do a pre-order for the game. Maybe offers those who preordered a perk or two, for example, early access to a beta, a reduced price than what will be on release day, etc. Then not only those who want to support you will show their interest consistently, they will also be showing real interest in a copy by putting money where their mouth is. Look at how Steam Early Access works and do the same but on your own.

Look at what Sam's Journey is achieving on the C64. I do not think we could get 500 non-binding preorders, but a hundred real preorders would be good and maybe possible.

Now if you think you need some sort of constant, monthly monetary compensation for the work on the game before it gets released, I am afraid that things just don't work that way nowadays. But if you open a preorder now, say, even for the digital copy, I'd buy it, and am happy to pay in advance.
If it is interest by way of cash and not really about money, then a preorder should be as good if not better than Patreon.

Just some thoughts, I hope you figure it out and that we hear more news from you soon. My CD32 awaits.
Old 27 July 2017, 12:45   #55
idrougge

Quote:
@Overflow: Just to put things into perspective: I just had a look at Kalematees patreon. It is almost half a year old, has a very wide target audience (open source software) and still only gathers 273 US-Dollars. So that counts as a success?!
But what kind of open source software?
Old 27 July 2017, 15:07   #56
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
But what kind of open source software?
AROS Research Operating System
Old 27 July 2017, 20:46   #57
idrougge

Exactly.

That's something even more obscure than an Amiga shmup.
Old 04 August 2017, 20:34   #58
Overflow

Richard; You have to share your interview!

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 09 August 2017, 23:03   #59
buzzybee

Major achievement unlocked, after days of heavy debugging: RESHOOT R running in a full gameloop on real A1200 hardware for the first time. And boy does it look and sound good. Thanks to all who made it possible, especially Kevin Saunders and Martin Ahman. The game is closing in for the showfloor on Returns gamescom-booth now. See you there!
Old 09 August 2017, 23:06   #60
Cylon

Cool, thanks Richard!