Don_Adan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuous View Post
So, as I read it, the ones which have been improved are:

filesystem.resource with DOS6/DOS7/DOS8 support
battmem.resource bug fix
misc.resource optimized
potgo.resource optimized

I am planning to incorporate these into the next version of BB4 if you don't object?
No problem.
Old 25 November 2012, 14:01   #23
wXR

Guys can we please get all of these cool updates and projects into some kind of version-controlled repository? I think that would be really helpful for would-be BoingBag contributors, too.
Old 30 November 2012, 15:38   #24
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

What I'd really like to see in an Amiga ROM is native support for Linux Ext2 filesystem! Then it would be possible to format and install a HDD for a real classic Amiga on any Linux PC without emulators, which would be very convenient, plus it is generally a better filesystem than FFS in many ways.

I could perhaps do this myself if I knew where to begin.
Old 30 November 2012, 16:09   #25
Don_Adan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Beanbag View Post
What I'd really like to see in an Amiga ROM is native support for Linux Ext2 filesystem! Then it would be possible to format and install a HDD for a real classic Amiga on any Linux PC without emulators, which would be very convenient, plus it is generally a better filesystem than FFS in many ways.

Seems that for Amiga must exist Unix filesystem already, it uses "UNI1" ID. I never seen this filesystem, perhaps this is part of Amiga 3000 UNIX models. Perhaps this filesystem can be updated to add support for Linux Ext2 filesystem.
Old 02 December 2012, 10:16   #26
Jope
-

Quote:

Don't waste ROM space with that, as the Amiga already supports loading your custom filesystem from the RDB.

Where to begin: make an ext2/3/4 handler for AmigaOS. The PFS3 and SFS source codes are out there to steal the AmigaOS bits from, Mr. Babel's Amiga Guru Book contains lots of useful information too.

If you want to partition the disk in Linux, there's amiga-fdisk. It may not be capable of installing filesystems to the RDB like HDToolBox and clones, but it's open source so you can add the functionality.

Now having said that, IMO using ext2 is not a good idea on the Amiga. It is even more fragile than FFS if improperly unmounted and you'll have to figure out your own mapping for amiga protection bits, file comments etc.

Your time is better spent in making SFS and PFS3 drivers for Linux (FUSE drivers perhaps) to ease file transfer when you've mounted an Amiga drive.
Old 02 December 2012, 17:12   #27
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

Any way to get the Amiga to recognise standard MBR? MBR and RDB apparently can co-exist, but I take it the Amiga simply ignores the MBR in this case. I suppose one could write the code to handle the RDB into the Linux filesystem driver, and treat it as part of the first partition's meta-data.
Old 02 December 2012, 19:05   #28
delshay

Does 3.9 roms affect other OS? ie morph or OS4.x
Is it possible to do 4.x roms?

OFF TOPIC

I do believe the A1200 motherboard takes some other type of flash on board or was it a clock correct me if I am wrong as I cannot remember,can this space be used?

NOTE: I am talking about the soldering pads

Last edited by delshay; 02 December 2012 at 19:12.
Old 02 December 2012, 21:12   #29
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

3.9 ROMS doesn't affect OS4.x and Morphos as I tried them on my previous A1200D PPC without problems.

I don't think that 4.x is quite feasible but you never knows
Old 03 December 2012, 18:16   #30
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
Where to begin: make an ext2/3/4 handler for AmigaOS. The PFS3 and SFS source codes are out there to steal the AmigaOS bits from, Mr. Babel's Amiga Guru Book contains lots of useful information too.
Unfortunately this book is not available anywhere

Now thinking about making an entirely new filesystem with Amiga and SSDs in mind, maybe I should start a new thread about this.
Old 03 December 2012, 18:27   #31
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Unfortunately this book is not available anywhere
2 minutes on Google: http://www.embedupload.com/?d=7JGBKJINEH
Old 03 December 2012, 18:55   #32
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

Hmm well I could download it, but isn't that the reason the author won't publish the latest edition? It feels wrong. But I guess I don't have any other option.

Edit: plus that site seems to want me to install a .exe, dodgy as hell... not even possible anyway since I use Linux. Everywhere else I find it is the same.

Last edited by Mrs Beanbag; 03 December 2012 at 19:01.
Old 03 December 2012, 19:15   #33
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Well, since the reprint won't be published anyway... Seems like the links are all dead, but you can still find it as a torrent and on UseNet.
Old 03 December 2012, 23:29   #34
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
yep it sucks but hey if Babel wants to let his hard won knowlege fade away what choice do ppl have when the are after information

frankly an amiga user who dosn`t know piracy is rife needs to stay in there ivory tower

personaly I would love a Hardcopy of both books, not that I can afford them or even use them to there fullest but I still want em
Old 04 December 2012, 12:42   #35
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

True, but I can sympathise with the man, I mean it's not like the old days (and even when it was we used to copy games not books), you'd think any Amiga users left now would have more sense, especially the ones who would read such a book. But there you go.
Old 04 December 2012, 12:53   #36
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

It just takes one idiot to rain on everybody's parade... My two cent are that he overreacted and he'd still have sold a lot of books. Now the only option is to wait for a copy on eBay or get it by other means. I just think that if you want to do something useful for the Amiga and the only mean to get the information is by downloading a PDF, I'd do it.

Oh and I'm pretty sure that noone that would have bought a reprint uploaded that PDF in the first place...
Old 04 December 2012, 14:54   #37
mark_k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Adan View Post
Seems that for Amiga must exist Unix filesystem already, it uses "UNI1" ID. I never seen this filesystem, perhaps this is part of Amiga 3000 UNIX models. Perhaps this filesystem can be updated to add support for Linux Ext2 filesystem.
I think the "UNI\1" designation was just used for defining partitions in the RDB. There was never an AmigaOS filesystem to access Amiga UNIX partitions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
There is already an ext2/ext3 filesystem for the Amiga. But there's no source code and I don't know whether it's RDB-installable.
Old 05 December 2012, 09:56   #38
Bamiga2002
BlizzardPPC'less

Send a message via MSN to Bamiga2002
One question:
how to put WBFind & WBTask to use?
Old 05 December 2012, 20:57   #39
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

WBFind is a module that is only needed if you make a custom ROM with Workbench.library OUTSIDE the ROM due to lacks of space.
For example making a custom Kick 3.9 for an A4000 isn't feasible as A4000 supports only 512KB ROMS (unless you have a Romy board from SpeedGeek).
Leaving out Workbench.library and it's possible. Then you put the WBFind module and voila...you can just copy Workbench.library in LIBS and you won't have a problem.

WBtask is an updated module of the internal WBtask module of Kickstart 3.1 ROM
Old 06 December 2012, 16:46   #40
Bamiga2002
BlizzardPPC'less

Send a message via MSN to Bamiga2002
Thanks! Put WBTask resident using LoadModule