English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 23 October 2017, 22:40   #2781
kipper2k

if the cd32 goes to boot screen that is a good sign, boot from a CD that will allow you to go into a shell window and see if you have at least the 8MB ram showing up.
Old 23 October 2017, 22:48   #2782
plasmab
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaduper View Post
also if you do find unsoldered legs ect you must flash again

Not required. Impact reads back the configuration and verifies it... having unsoldered pins doesn’t affect this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 23 October 2017, 23:56   #2783
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
With TF328 connected I cant get into ESM.
I have tried both master firmware and chris's firmware. They were oiriginally crashing CD32 with scrobing effect, now it just boots to cd32 logo.

Which firmware are you using superduper?
Old 24 October 2017, 00:00   #2784
solidcore

FOL,

Not 100% sure what to suggest at this point, however, if there's no HDD activity I believe it's probably RAM IC's ... try looking very closely at ram ic1 with a magnifying lens or scope, touch it up a by dragging again with some more flux and ensure all the legs are soldered to the pads. Also check for dry joints at the IDE, bridges, can happen.

Do you have a working CF/IDE combo to be sure it's not that?

Chris
Old 24 October 2017, 00:08   #2785
Amiga1992

What brand/model of RAM are you using, FOL?
Old 24 October 2017, 00:14   #2786
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

All sorted, just happened to knock CD32 and it started working.
So it has to be an edge connector issue. This is my very old CD32, I used to use with my SX1 (which I went on to blow up with my second CD32, ). I had the bright idea to solder the edge connector, although it solved SX1 connection issues, its obviously become tarnished. Will have to rework and see what happens.

Currently testing it now.

@Akira, Samsung RAM.
@Solidcore, using your firmware with unbuffered clock.
Old 24 October 2017, 00:18   #2787
solidcore

@Fol, nice mate I have had a few bad boots simply from the edge connector and also not putting something under the card to keep it from sagging.

Chris
Old 24 October 2017, 00:47   #2788
kipper2k

it is always a good thing to use the green plastic scouring pad on the fingers, there is a lot of oxides that have built up over the years, Even the TF328 could also have a bit of flux residue that is degrading a connection
Old 24 October 2017, 00:48   #2789
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidcore View Post
@Fol, nice mate I have had a few bad boots simply from the edge connector and also not putting something under the card to keep it from sagging.

Chris
Well plot thickens. I turned it off, then back on. Not working again. Could not get it to work until I held down reset for 5 secs. Then ESM worked, nothing in there and on reset from ESM, it boots and works fine, apart from the reset button stops functioning.

If I do this every time it works fine. Very wierd. Is there any other firmware I can try?
Old 24 October 2017, 01:00   #2790
solidcore

Fol,

Shouldn't happen the way you're doing it so it has me wondering if its cd32, ide, riser related.

I am unsure if there's firmware that could make this baby purr , try hunting down some BETA fw's in the past on this thread?

Things to start looking at / think about but it's a wild list:
- Did you insulate the tf328 from the shield?
- What riser are you using? has it got a keyboard PIC? take it out. Is this riser a known problematic one?
- Has the cd32 been recapped?
- do you have 8mb ram when she boots up skipping IDE? cd32 logo boot with cd32 systest ?
- CF/IDE 3.3v to 5v rated?
- Ram , CPLD getting hot?

List your CF/IDE model, your riser, and rev of cd32. Also make sure you have nothing attached to rule out 'external devices' playing up.

Edit: Kipper2k is right flux is invisible and can get on the fingers VERY easily, give it a good isopropyl rub down both sides

Head scratches for more possible explainations.
Old 24 October 2017, 01:26   #2791
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
Things to start looking at / think about but it's a wild list:
- Did you insulate the tf328 from the shield?
- What riser are you using? has it got a keyboard PIC? take it out. Is this riser a known problematic one?
- Has the cd32 been recapped?
- do you have 8mb ram when she boots up skipping IDE? cd32 logo boot with cd32 systest ?
- CF/IDE 3.3v to 5v rated?
- Ram , CPLD getting hot?
1) A stand off was provided with riser.
2) I believe its Edu Arana riser board. Which I believe is tried and tested. PIC is soldered to board. Would need to desolder it.
3) Yes, all recapped.
4) Cant tell as it never lets me into ESM, even though it will boot games. I would guess yes as MicroCosm intro speech is all screwed up. Only happens normally when you have faster CPU or RAM.
5) I Believe CF/IDE is 5v, doesn't have reg / jumper for 3.3v.
6) No warmer then you would expect from normal operation.
7) I bath every board I do in IPA and scrub clean.
8) Nothing attached. I will try same reset trick with HDD removed. Was the same even with CDROM disconnected.
Old 24 October 2017, 01:33   #2792
RiotRetroGaming
Riot Retro Gaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 Bit Dreams View Post
all people are crazy. in the mental hospital аre only those, who were caught
I'm still dodging haha

@pgovotsos
Amiganuts power! 😉 remember that?
Old 24 October 2017, 02:09   #2793
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
4) Cant tell as it never lets me into ESM, even though it will boot games. I would guess yes as MicroCosm intro speech is all screwed up. Only happens normally when you have faster CPU or RAM.
Don't guess. Run Systest.
Image to burn in my post: http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=...postcount=1965

A lot of games that didn't use to run properly with Fast RAM now do, so not a benchmark.
Old 24 October 2017, 06:52   #2794
supaduper

There definitely a conflict between EDU riser board and the TF328, I had to remove the PIC chip to get the TF328 to boot ,Acid to had to remove his too using the same EDU board. These boards were bought new in the last batch he did with a socketed PIC,so easy to remove.
This does not bother me as I use the AUX port and a adapter for use with a keyboard
Old 24 October 2017, 10:31   #2795
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
There definitely a conflict between EDU riser board and the TF328, I had to remove the PIC chip to get the TF328 to boot ,Acid to had to remove his too using the same EDU board. These boards were bought new in the last batch he did with a socketed PIC,so easy to remove.
This does not bother me as I use the AUX port and a adapter for use with a keyboard
Problem solved.

First issue, causing reset problem was the resistors on riser. Had to switch R1 and R2 around. Once I did that, reset worked fine every time. If I then reset a few times, it works fine.

Second issue, it is a conflict. I desoldered pic and it boots every time perfect now. So I added socket, as resetting a few times, doesnt bother me.
Old 24 October 2017, 14:34   #2796
RiotRetroGaming
Riot Retro Gaming

Quote:
I get the same thing...
My pic was one of the first directly soldered to the board with an old firmware that just caused the '''''''''''' thing.

He sent out a new pic which sounds like your version and the socket and I have what you have now... even did the 100ohm replacement resistors.
With my pic chip removed the TF328 boots.
Old 24 October 2017, 14:46   #2797
solidcore

FOL,
Glad you discovered it was the riser at fault

I think keyboard via riser has been a problem from day 1 and we really should come up with The ultimate solution . I wonder how well the 16 pic from stedy / kipper works ? This is a 8 pic on the edu right ?

Chris

Last edited by solidcore; 24 October 2017 at 14:58.
Old 24 October 2017, 15:30   #2798
kipper2k

?he pic i use on the riser is the 18 pin 16f628, there are no issues with it, as far as everyone reports it is stable and has no nasty side effects
Old 24 October 2017, 15:40   #2799
solidcore

Kipper2k sounds good can't wait to play with it on my future addon board for all existing compatible Risers . However, been so busy have not found time to do some tests yet thanks for clarifying .
Old 24 October 2017, 16:34   #2800
Amiga1992

I knew that 8 pin PIC solution would not work. We had proved it with kipper's previous design, which he corrected.

I used to like the idea, but now I tend to think putting that on the riser is just a problem. The CD32 has a keyboard port, best to use it for the keyboard, and leave the riser alone.