English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 09 October 2017, 18:44   #41
hipoonios
Amiga Hardcore Gamer

Tried WinUAE 2.5 with the settings you provided on three different machines and it still skip a video frame. Could not hear any pops in this version though. But need to do more tests.

I want proof that you can record without video frame skip - Upload another AVI to The Zone please

But using such old version (5 years old) is not an option for me. The 2.x series not only has problem with many games (Bubble Remix, Jumpman Junior etc...) It also has the well known fps problem (the fps of the files will be eg 49.544 and never exactly 50.000 fps, which often causes sound delay when you append/join the files to one file.
Old 09 October 2017, 23:09   #42
Al82

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipoonios View Post
Tried WinUAE 2.5 with the settings you provided on three different machines and it still skip a video frame. Could not hear any pops in this version though. But need to do more tests.

I want proof that you can record without video frame skip - Upload another AVI to The Zone please

But using such old version (5 years old) is not an option for me. The 2.x series not only has problem with many games (Bubble Remix, Jumpman Junior etc...) It also has the well known fps problem (the fps of the files will be eg 49.544 and never exactly 50.000 fps, which often causes sound delay when you append/join the files to one file.
Uploaded a short video in the zone called WinUAE_Join_Test.avi

Pretty sure you won't see any join in that (although I think using DirectDraw might have been more important than I first thought - there was still a delay using D3D).

I get round the sound timing issue by joining all the parts together with AviDemux before doing any further editing.
Old 10 October 2017, 01:57   #43
ransom1122

Does v2.5.1 have more capabilities over the current version of winuae?

With 2.5.1 I did have an issue that joining any avi to avi.001 it was that annoying fps issue. Avi.002 to avi.005 all joined perfectly.
Old 10 October 2017, 15:37   #44
hipoonios
Amiga Hardcore Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al82 View Post
Uploaded a short video in the zone called WinUAE_Join_Test.avi
Can't open that file correctly in VD (wrong fps and stuff). Please upload in TSCC or Lagarith.
Old 10 October 2017, 18:27   #45
hipoonios
Amiga Hardcore Gamer

Took a look again and video is fine. Its just VirtualDub that recognize it as 25 fps even though it is 50 fps.

Anyway, your video has a frame missing between 146-147.

Shadow of the Beast is not best example because it's hard to see because all the parallax layers has different frame rates. Easiest is to watch the mountain layer. It will move every second frame on all places aside from 146-147. So sorry to tell you that v2.5.1 also has the bug. But one missing frame is not something that you do not usually see. So I can live with that even thought it would be nice to have it fixed. It is more important to have the pop sound fixed in the last version, because that is more noticeable than a missing frame.

Last edited by hipoonios; 10 October 2017 at 19:11. Reason: typo
Old 12 October 2017, 17:35   #46
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

http://www.winuae.net/files/b/winuae.7z updated. It could make a difference, maybe..
Old 12 October 2017, 19:35   #47
hipoonios
Amiga Hardcore Gamer

Tried latest beta and there are no missing frames now! But only if you are not using savestates. And now it also adds a frame used 10 frames back plus have the missing frame. So the fix actually made it worse. But thanks for taking your time looking at it.

Here are some gifs explaining the problem better. Look at the bullet middle of screen. I used a savestate when it has reached about half through the screen:

Game used for testing: Alien Hunter.

Latest none beta version (v3.5) - a missing frame:

Latest Beta - Missing frame when using savestates plus one extra frame used 10 frames back:

Latest Beta - All perfect when not using savestates:

Old 12 October 2017, 19:44   #48
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Need answers to post #37 questions.
Old 12 October 2017, 20:22   #49
Rotareneg

When using internal recorder with the beta you just posted, quick saving and loading states caused the recorded video to speed up for a moment (there wasn't any speed changes while actually playing.)

[ Show youtube player ]

Attached is the config file and logs.
Attached Files
File Type: 7z winuae logs.7z (19.5 KB, 93 views)
Old 12 October 2017, 20:30   #50
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

That is not possible. Did you really use same codec? (Thats why I require image of avioutput panel, output settings are not in config file)
Old 12 October 2017, 20:48   #51
Rotareneg

I was recording using utvideo, the same also happens with MagicYUV. Out of curiosity I tried it with Lagarith and it did NOT happen. This does not happen when recording with external software (I use dxtory.)

Old 13 October 2017, 17:47   #52
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Need answers to post #37 questions.
Especially "capture before filtering" option state MUST be always mentioned!
Old 13 October 2017, 19:40   #53
Al82

I've just recorded screen capture session with the 3.6 Beta 5 and have uploaded the video to my YouTube Channel: [ Show youtube player ]

It's just over 2 minutes long, but you can see WinUAE settings, the log window and the recording process.

When I join the 2 files together you can see there's a jump between frames 133 and 134 (in the VirtualDub windows).

What is strange is that the first frame appears correct in the second clip (when loaded from the state), but it's the next frame that seems to skip.

Does this help at all?
Old 13 October 2017, 19:58   #54
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

I don't usually want to see videos (except few frames that show the problem like above) but maybe this time.. Does toggling "capture before filtering" change anything? This is also very important.

Also make sure to do the test at least twice to confirm it isn't something (semi) random.

EDIT: Just wondering if the missing frame is not just missing from video but also isn't rendered at all..

EDIT2: Yes, it has nothing to do with recording but just the way statefile load works. Not sure if it can be worked around..

Last edited by Toni Wilen; 13 October 2017 at 20:22.
Old 13 October 2017, 21:05   #55
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

winuae.7z updated. What about now?
Old 13 October 2017, 21:27   #56
Al82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Does toggling "capture before filtering" change anything? This is also very important.
Yes - there's a black frame at the start of the video clip when loaded from the state.

I've uploaded a very short clip showing the 2 segments joined together in [ Show youtube player ]

Based on the clip, the laser blast advances 12 pixels every frame, so there's still a missing frame after the black frame (between 149 and 150).

* Edit *
I started posting this before Toni updated the file - feel free to ignore
Old 13 October 2017, 22:16   #57
Al82

Just tested with the latest files.

Behaviour when Capture Before Filtering = ON is the same as before; there's a frame missing in exactly the same place.

Behaviour when Capture Before Filtering = OFF is different. The black frame insertion is gone when loading from state, but the frame skip is still present and there's a frame containing garbage after the second frame of the second clip:

Video: [ Show youtube player ]
Old 14 October 2017, 10:53   #58
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Next update is available.

Real cause was (as I already expected): loading state file while emulation was already running didn't render the first frame.

(note that "before filtering" not ticked can't be frame accurate due to rendering backbuffers)
Old 14 October 2017, 12:47   #59
Al82

Thanks Toni - I've tried the updated files (it still says 3.6 Beta 5?) and the results are the same.

It looks as if the first frame of the second clip was missed when recording started.
Old 14 October 2017, 12:52   #60
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al82 View Post
Thanks Toni - I've tried the updated files (it still says 3.6 Beta 5?) and the results are the same.

It looks as if the first frame of the second clip was missed when recording started.
I can't duplicate it anymore.

Double check that exe datestamp has changed. If you record from startup (start winuae, enable avioutput, load state file, start emulation), stop recording, check video. Then load same statefile, enable avioutput, return to emulation. Check video. Check if results are identical.

Don't save any statefiles. Above tests have too many unknown variables!