plasmab

I'm sold out entirely ATM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AdSense AdSense  
Old 10 August 2017, 22:36   #1082
Akira

SO who's gonna make some of these?
I can't believe we've come this far but nobody will build any

Come on people, give plasmab a break and build his beautiful expansion.
Old 10 August 2017, 23:21   #1083
Cylon

You also need to build a riser board, or buy an expensive one.
Old 10 August 2017, 23:37   #1084
Akira

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cylon View Post
You also need to build a riser board, or buy an expensive one.
You can buy spidi's board. It's not expensive.
There's the analogic FD's.
There's the kipper board.

A bunch of us already have the necessary adapter.
Old 10 August 2017, 23:51   #1085
Cylon

All stuff from overseas is expensive due to customs and shipping; the analogic one is 140€ or something like that on ebay? What is "not expensive" in your opinion? A board with two 4€ Slots for more than 25€ is expensive i think.
Old 11 August 2017, 00:10   #1086
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
the analogic one is 140€ or something like that on ebay?
Try more like €80 which is still expensive. They were £65 a year ago
Old 11 August 2017, 00:13   #1087
Akira

Quote:
What is "not expensive" in your opinion?
Spidi's board is not expensive.
Quote:
A board with two 4€ Slots for more than 25€ is expensive i think.
First, the riser boards have more than just 2 connectors. Since you block all CD32 expansion pins when using one, those who made risers have taken the opportunity to add wanted or needed expansion on the risers. Spidi's expander has a VGA connector. kipper2k's had keyboard, RGB SCART and Amiga 23 pin video (though neither keyboard nor RGB SCART work). Analogic's have the floppy and I think a serial or parallel, the Elsat PRO Module has floppy, serial and parallel, etc etc. All this needs more routing work and, usually, extra logic and/or software to make it run.

Second, figuring how to fit all that and make it work on a board takes work, that is clearly valuable. The research time and resources plonked in making any hardware are worth money. It's NOT JUST the cost of parts to make. Plus assembly time, testing, and support!!!

If you are given two connectors, can you make an adapter? If you do, that's great. Wanna sell it for 25 Euros? I'll buy one off you. Hope you also will be available for every little issue I may have for it.

If not, I don't think what you said is remotely fair, and disrespectful to those making hardware for such a niche machine.
Old 11 August 2017, 00:15   #1088
plasmab

Cost of materials plus assembly at at least 10 euros per hour... then VAT. 60 euros is a bargain. If you want it at cost then make it yourself

Old 11 August 2017, 00:29   #1089
Cylon

@Akira
I don't have any of those risers you mentioned, i understand the added floppy and controls would cost more.
I don't get why someone would add a keyboard connector because the cd32 already has one so this seems ..... hm, useless effort? And why add ports that don't work? And ask money for them anyway?
I would need a small riser board, one-on-one pin connection to plug the TF328 in, or any other expansion.
This very expansion could hold an rgb-port or whatever. Just an idea, one has to start with small steps rather than buy an 80somethingsomething adapter just for bending the port to the inside of the machine.
I'm currently trying to get hold of a few connectors to fiddle with it for my needs but this is neither easy to purchase these parts as a non-company nor easy to create a pcb with no skills.
So, what amount of work do you think is required for putting two of the same connectors onto a small board in Eagle and put a one-on-one bus inbetween? What could i charge for this kind of work? I donot have a license for the pcb size required i think, but other people have or maybe i let somebody do that for me. The schematics seem fairly easy?
If this will generate a reasonable amount of income i stop working.
Old 11 August 2017, 00:31   #1090
plasmab

Quote:
@Akira
I don't have any of those risers you mentioned, i understand the added floppy and controls would cost more.
I don't get why someone would add a keyboard connector because the cd32 already has one so this seems ..... hm, useless effort? And why add ports that don't work? And ask money for them anyway?
I would need a small riser board, one-on-one pin connection to plug the TF328 in, or any other expansion.
This very expansion could hold an rgb-port or whatever. Just an idea, one has to start with small steps rather than buy an 80somethingsomething adapter just for bending the port to the inside of the machine.
I'm currently trying to get hold of a few connectors to fiddle with it for my needs but this is neither easy to purchase these parts as a non-company nor easy to create a pcb with no skills.
So, what amount of work do you think is required for putting two of the same connectors onto a small board in Eagle and put a one-on-one bus inbetween? What could i charge for this kind of work? I donot have a license for the pcb size required i think, but other people have or maybe i let somebody do that for me. The schematics seem fairly easy?
If this will generate a reasonable amount of income i stop working.

There are 2 x 182 solder connections. That takes time. Time is money

Old 11 August 2017, 00:41   #1091
Cylon

@plasmab
I'm sorry, but i do not know Eagle well enough, if at all. I thought these are the same connectors with the same pins so there must be some macro to just <connect bus> or something like that...
Old 11 August 2017, 00:43   #1092
Akira

Quote:
You are unable to get parts, you don't know how to make a PCB or use Eagle, yet you know that Spidi's extender is "expensive"? How would you explain that train of thought?

It's perfectly fine to criticize, but only if you have knowledge of case.

A perfectly valid argument from your side would have been "I cannot afford spidi's extender, what other options are/will be out there?".

I cannot afford != it's too expensive.
Old 11 August 2017, 00:51   #1093
Cylon

What i could affort != expensive.
Expensiveness is relative to value of use or value of those parts.

One cannot measure the effort i would need to create those devices, because i am a noob.
If you already have the skills and tools to do that you might ask more money per hour for that but you are also 100x faster done than me.

So as an engineer you would do that boring one-to-one port connecting in Eagle in your spare time after diner; you would charge maybe 100 bucks for that. but you would end up ordering 100+ pcbs which would add costs to those only 1 buck per piece.

And i donot criticize, i mentioned my view. Btw what is spidis adapter?

Last edited by Cylon; 11 August 2017 at 00:58.
Old 11 August 2017, 01:19   #1094
Akira

Sorry, I disagree, one thing is how much you are willing to spend on one thing, and another thing is the general notion of expensiveness on an item. But I don't want to argue this moot point anymore.
Quote:
Btw what is spidis adapter?
Mentioned in the thread already:
https://retro.7-bit.pl/?lang=en&go=p...&name=CD32EXSL

plasmab: I was trying to build a BOM on Digikey, but I can't find all the parts. Namely:

RAM: I can't find the same package type. They have 42-SOJ and 54-TSOP II. They don't even have those in stock.
RAM CPLD: only available for purchase in bulk of 300+
JTAG connector: can only find square headers, not round ones (unless I buy 1900 )

Newark (the US counterpart of Farnell) was no help either, they have even less stuff than Digikey.

Any idea where to get those things? Can we use square connectors for the JTAG header?
I guess one could buy stuff abroad, but it'd be better if not.
Old 11 August 2017, 01:20   #1095
kolla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
SO who's gonna make some of these?
I can't believe we've come this far but nobody will build any

Come on people, give plasmab a break and build his beautiful expansion.
What is stopping you?
Old 11 August 2017, 01:24   #1096
Akira

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolla View Post
What is stopping you?
My lack of skills.
Nevertheless I am still humoring the idea of building one. Perhaps it could be my first SMD project.
If these things were through hole, I would make one myself for sure.
Old 11 August 2017, 01:32   #1097
kolla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
My lack of skills.
Nevertheless I am still humoring the idea of building one. Perhaps it could be my first SMD project.
If these things were through hole, I would make one myself for sure.
Practice on some wasted PC cards first
Old 11 August 2017, 05:48   #1098
kipper2k

I will release the gerber files for my 2 versions of CD32 adapter once i have finished cleaning it up, it will have RGB, and KB plugin and uses open source code. the second adapter has more features i will reveal later. I can get the connectors for about $6 and i really dont have intentions to build them myself.

These are through hole and relatively easy to solder. Parts cost would be about $20 + the cost of the pic chip if you want the Keyboard addon

Last edited by kipper2k; 11 August 2017 at 05:56.
Old 11 August 2017, 06:42   #1099
dalek

that's awesome news kipper2k - thank you!
Old 11 August 2017, 06:51   #1100
brigand

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper2k View Post
I will release the gerber files for my 2 versions of CD32 adapter once i have finished cleaning it up, it will have RGB, and KB plugin and uses open source code. the second adapter has more features i will reveal later. I can get the connectors for about $6 and i really dont have intentions to build them myself.

These are through hole and relatively easy to solder. Parts cost would be about $20 + the cost of the pic chip if you want the Keyboard addon
Sounds good to me! By the way, why are the risers don't use the screw mounting on the backside? Is there a technical reason?
AdSense AdSense