English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 20 January 2009, 22:44   #1
Paul_s
Stuck in the 80s

Happy IDE to SD card - the next step?!

Who's going to try one of these babies out then!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-SD-Flash-M...1%7C240%3A1318

Getting smaller and smaller
Old 20 January 2009, 22:54   #2
Fingerlickin_B
Amiga Nut

I purchased one of those about a year ago.

Works fine

PZ.
Old 20 January 2009, 22:54   #3
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

They've been tried ages ago and they work... but look at the price and the price of SD cards vs CF... almost double.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=270332373870

Perhaps a better version for A1200/A600

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=260340460213
Old 21 January 2009, 01:21   #4
klx300r

damn awesome find! I would have went the SD card route rather than the CF card one if id known a year and a half ago..the SD cards a way cheaper & easier to find here than old CF cards...
any advantages over one or the other??? which has more read/write cycles?
Old 21 January 2009, 01:35   #5
Supamax
Da Digger :)

Damn! I just ordered the CF/IDE adapter...

However, the sellers always state these adapter to be suitable for use even for Windows installations. But they do not point out the much lower number of write cycles available for flash cards (compared to hard drives).

My advice is: if using with Windows, be sure to deactivate *at all* the swap file, and rely only on physical memory! This will save a lot of flash life
Old 21 January 2009, 02:03   #6
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by klx300r View Post
any advantages over one or the other???
CF is native IDE protocol so no adapter chips meaning less power. In theory CF card is much faster but for Amiga internal IDE it doesnt matter. Unknown if SD adapters suffer from FIXED / REMOVABLE issue that some CF cards can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klx300r View Post
which has more read/write cycles?
Depends from card to card and manufacturer to manufacturer.
Old 21 January 2009, 06:26   #7
Calgor
(Amigas && Amigos)++

Some of these IDE-SD adapters might be quite slow... slower than the 8-10MB/s of the Blizzard SCSI Kit (or possibly thereabouts on speed), and much slower than the UWSCSI of the cyberstorm. But I wonder if it will detect the drive as Fixed or Removable....

I looked at the specs of some of the CF2SD adapters, and some said less than 1MB/sec! So beware of the speed ratings.

CF cards with SLC have more read/write cycles. I have read that Sandisk uses MLC in 98% of their chips, but also that their MLC tech tops out at 34MB/s. So an Extreme IV should use SLC but all other brand new Sandisk cards may well use MLC. As Sandisk MLC may be faster than other brand MLC, with other manufacturer you are more likely to get SLC if you don't want to pay $$$ for fastest Sandisks (NOT from ebay).

Link with the above info on Sandisk:
http://savolainen.wordpress.com/2008/11/

So I would say based on the above that genuine extremely fast cards are likely to use SLC whereas the rest MLC for cheap costs and higher density. 16GB slow card == must surely be MLC. If using your card as a hard disk with windows, you should really go for SLC cards IMO.
Old 21 January 2009, 11:01   #8
DH

I've mentioned this before in another thread somewhere. CF cards were originally designed for cameras and because SD has almost taken over, these babies are getting harder to find and more expensive.

My question in the other thread was, If you bought an SD to CF adapter would it still work?

At 11.99 GBP you can't go wrong if they work
http://www.mymemory.co.uk/Compact-Fl...h-Card-Adaptor
Old 21 January 2009, 11:21   #9
Photon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgor View Post
Some of these IDE-SD adapters might be quite slow... slower than the 8-10MB/s of the Blizzard SCSI Kit (or possibly thereabouts on speed), and much slower than the UWSCSI of the cyberstorm. But I wonder if it will detect the drive as Fixed or Removable....

I looked at the specs of some of the CF2SD adapters, and some said less than 1MB/sec! So beware of the speed ratings.

CF cards with SLC have more read/write cycles. I have read that Sandisk uses MLC in 98% of their chips, but also that their MLC tech tops out at 34MB/s. So an Extreme IV should use SLC but all other brand new Sandisk cards may well use MLC. As Sandisk MLC may be faster than other brand MLC, with other manufacturer you are more likely to get SLC if you don't want to pay $$$ for fastest Sandisks (NOT from ebay).

Link with the above info on Sandisk:
http://savolainen.wordpress.com/2008/11/

So I would say based on the above that genuine extremely fast cards are likely to use SLC whereas the rest MLC for cheap costs and higher density. 16GB slow card == must surely be MLC. If using your card as a hard disk with windows, you should really go for SLC cards IMO.
It's easy to find out if SD is slower than CF. Plonk both in your "other computer" and copy a big file back and forth, and measure the time.

Me, I have such an adapter and an SD card for it. Might try it in my A1200-030 some day, but with the A500 I went with CF->IDE->SCSI and was very pleased. On my A600 I get like 200 KB/s! Haven't really looked at that yet.

Me, I'd go with Sandisk Extreme III 2 GB CF. Mine perform well.
Old 23 January 2009, 09:04   #10
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_s View Post
Who's going to try one of these babies out then!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-SD-Flash-M...1%7C240%3A1318

Getting smaller and smaller
Interesting, it says it can take MMC and MS too. Is that true?
Old 23 January 2009, 10:41   #11
Chain
A-Collector, repairments

Send a message via ICQ to Chain
MMC works (same card didnt work in minimig)
Old 23 January 2009, 13:04   #12
cane

Dealextreme has got SDHC to 2.5'' IDE adapter for $10.50 - linky
Old 23 January 2009, 14:35   #13
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonHellraiser View Post
I've mentioned this before in another thread somewhere. CF cards were originally designed for cameras and because SD has almost taken over, these babies are getting harder to find and more expensive.
Do you live in the same country as me?? In the UK you can get them online everywhere and in most supermarkets. Prices are as cheap (from 99p + postage for 1GB!) if not cheaper than SD.

Quote:
At 11.99 GBP you can't go wrong
Sure but at £2.07 (including delivery) you can go one better
Old 23 January 2009, 14:58   #14
DH

Cheers alexh

Yes I do live in the UK, but I don't shop much online and supermarket prices are usually stupidly high.

I remember when I got my 1GB Kingston CF online for my Nikon 8800 it cost me £18 'n' that was a few years back and relatively cheap for the time.

The previous question is not really about CF to IDE adapter but a SD to CF adapter that can be used in a CF to IDE adapter for the Amiga. Would they work just the same?

SD to CompactFlash Adaptor

Edit: Maybe this is something no one has tried yet and that's why there is no answers regarding it

Last edited by DH; 23 January 2009 at 16:12.
Old 23 January 2009, 17:37   #15
Calgor
(Amigas && Amigos)++

I am waiting on a CF to SD adapter to arrive so I will let you know when I get it. I think the speed will be slow for the one I am getting (but fastest I could find), but fine for anything <10MB/sec.
Old 23 January 2009, 19:43   #16
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
supermarket prices are usually stupidly high.
They used to be but I think they've wizened up just recently. Tesco were selling two original SANDISK 2GB SD cards for £7 which aint bad. Perfect for the Wii.
Old 23 January 2009, 20:12   #17
DH

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
They used to be but I think they've wizened up just recently. Tesco were selling two original SANDISK 2GB SD cards for £7 which aint bad. Perfect for the Wii.
Cheers for that, I now know where to go to get myself a 2GB SD card for the phone

I haven't looked at these things for ages and didn't realise the supermarkets had wizened up to the market but do they sell CF cards. I would really like to get a knew one for the camera.
Old 25 September 2018, 18:57   #18
Kickstar

Are the value by an SDHC Card are the same as an CF Card (Maxtransfer=1xFE00...)?
Old 25 September 2018, 19:14   #19
Jope
-

Yes, you should still use 0x1fe00 as the maxtransfer to be safe.
Old 26 September 2018, 05:55   #20
Kickstar

Thanks for the quick answer. There is otherwise a difference, to a CF card, in the settings?