English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 21 February 2005, 17:12   #21
Amiga1992

I use to define my top price as well, but I preffer to bid on it 1 minute before the auction ends, or so. That gives me a bit more chances.

I was once hunting for MONTHS an SX64 on eBay, once I put 200 dollars on one and I got outbid. One day I saw ne and, without much expectations to win it, I threw 160 at the max price. I won it for 80!
Old 21 February 2005, 18:21   #22
dirkies
Zone Friend

I have no mercy with snipers, no matter who, for me it's cheating, and I don't like to bid against a machine, so WTF are you complaining about, you're not better than the others...
Old 21 February 2005, 19:41   #23
Chuckles
The Ancient One

Cheating? Perhaps if you're using some sort of a program to do your bidding for you, that could be considered cheating of a sort. If you're submitting your bids manually (the only way I know to submit them), it is simply playing by the rules of the game. There's nothing that says that you have to submit your bid on an item hours or days before the auction ends, and if you do, your risks of being outbid (or paying more than is necessary) are much higher.
Old 21 February 2005, 19:49   #24
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckles
If you're submitting your bids manually (the only way I know to submit them), it is simply playing by the rules of the game. There's nothing that says that you have to submit your bid on an item hours or days before the auction ends
INdeed it is, I don't see the cheating in all that.
Old 21 February 2005, 19:57   #25
dirkies
Zone Friend

I was pissed of soooooo many times by 'bidders' who bid like 0.5$ more 1 or 2 seconds before the end, on most-wanted items going over $1000 (car & audio parts)
I now play it hard, putting about twice the current bid less than 15s before the end, costs more, but more guarantee. If everyone would play by the game, at least you'd feel less pissed when losing.
Old 21 February 2005, 20:06   #26
Peanutuk

There are companies that offer a 'snipping' service for want of a better name. You register and they bid your high price with a second to go. I believe you can set it so it will bid a huge price so you are guaranteed a win. However I'm not sure what would happen if two people were using such a service on the same auction!
Old 21 February 2005, 21:50   #27
fiath

IMO eBay is a very unfair system - for the seller anyway. No other auction I know of ever stops at an absolute time. Like Akira said, if bids are received, time should be extended in case other people are willing to pay more. The Yahoo autions worked like this.

The best solution would be to have it selectable by the seller. If they want to sell an item quickly, before a certain date, fine. If they want a fairer price for the item, fine.

Of course, you could argue that the ability to snipe is one of the reasons that has made eBay so popular...
Old 21 February 2005, 22:17   #28
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiath
Like Akira said, if bids are received, time should be extended in case other people are willing to pay more.
NOpe, I said I don't like this!
Right now I happen to only purchase "buy it Now" items, I left the biding madness for a while. Buy It Now is comfortable and in most cases convenient.
Old 22 February 2005, 06:55   #29
fiath

Sorry, what manicx said.
Old 22 February 2005, 08:57   #30
manicx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira
The 15 minutes extension is quite stupid. I don't mind sniping, I mean, I DO when someone snipes an object off me, but I learned to live with it
Well, it is not stupid, it is real. I am working for an eCommerce company and we do eAuctions as well. This is how things work in real life. I think that this works with eBay too, I remember seeing it somewhere as an option. But I prefer the 'shitty' eBay because I love snipping too.