English Amiga Board


Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 15 October 2017, 05:17   #21
PeterK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hangover
Posts: 1,910
A500 worth saving?
I would say: No !

I bought my A2000 with an A2088 Bridgeboard in 1988, and later added an A2620 accelerator, an A2091 SCSI-Hostadapter, a 850 MB SCSI-HDD, a flickerfixer and some other things.

Since approximately 2003 I also used WinUAE, and WinUAE on my PC was always much better and faster than my real old A2000 could ever be. The only reason to switch on my old A2000 again was to check out my programs like MathLibsUAE, developed under WinUAE, on a real Amiga with a real 68881 FPU.

But then after 20 years my A2000 suddenly died with a loud bang when I switched it on. I never opened the case again to see what has happened inside, I just thought: "Rest in peace!" my good old A2000.
PeterK is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
Old 15 October 2017, 14:22   #22
MigaTech
Only Amiga !!

MigaTech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
A500 worth saving?
I would say: No ! .
Disagree !

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
I bought my A2000 with an A2088 Bridgeboard in 1988, and later added an A2620 accelerator, an A2091 SCSI-Hostadapter, a 850 MB SCSI-HDD, a flickerfixer and some other things.
Nice system you should be proud of this Amiga.


Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
Since approximately 2003 I also used WinUAE, and WinUAE on my PC was always much better and faster than my real old A2000 could ever be. The only reason to switch on my old A2000 again was to check out my programs like MathLibsUAE, developed under WinUAE, on a real Amiga with a real 68881 FPU.
Emulation is NOT the same as the real deal and NEVER will be! < Any true Amiga follower would most definitely agree with this evaluation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
But then after 20 years my A2000 suddenly died with a loud bang when I switched it on. I never opened the case again to see what has happened inside, I just thought: "Rest in peace!" my good old A2000.
You must be completely off the planet to think this and not attempt to repair that incredible machine.
MigaTech is offline  
Old 15 October 2017, 19:58   #23
PeterK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hangover
Posts: 1,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by MigaTech View Post
Disagree !
Ok, that's your opinion. I think a plain A500 is outdated for long.
Quote:
Nice system you should be proud of this Amiga.
Yes, I'm proud of my A2000. It also had a SCSI CD-ROM and a SCSI-streamer. It was a nice system in the 90's and I used it for Online Banking via the german BTX system, to connect to some BBS systems, to exchange emails and even to run an early version of NetBSD on it. I also played with networks to my first 386 PC with Windows and Unix SVR4. But these good old days are over and in the last 5 years of my A2000 I could rarely find a good reason to switch it on again.
Quote:
Emulation is NOT the same as the real deal and NEVER will be! < Any true Amiga follower would most definitely agree with this evaluation.
No, emulation is indeed not the same, WinUAE is much better nowadays. Maybe, it's a different feeling when you play games on a real Amiga, but I always hated games. That's nothing for me.
Quote:
You must be completely off the planet to think this and not attempt to repair that incredible machine.
It was a nice machine, but it's useless today, and I would not spend a single cent anymore to repair it. For what?
PeterK is offline  
Old 16 October 2017, 11:56   #24
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Italy
Age: 30
Posts: 1,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
It was a nice machine, but it's useless today, and I would not spend a single cent anymore to repair it. For what?
I'll gladly take it off your hands and repair it and care for it, if you still have it Always wanted an A2000!
jbenam is offline  
Old 17 October 2017, 01:39   #25
PeterK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hangover
Posts: 1,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenam View Post
I'll gladly take it off your hands and repair it and care for it, if you still have it Always wanted an A2000!
No sorry, that's impossible due to my personal situation.
PeterK is offline  
Old 17 October 2017, 11:07   #26
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Italy
Age: 30
Posts: 1,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
No sorry, that's impossible due to my personal situation.
Ouch, sorry, didn't know that
jbenam is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kickstart chip upgrades on A500 - worth doing? Silwuff Hardware mods 4 16 August 2016 14:55
Is it worth it fitting faster chip/slow Ram to A500? imperious support.Hardware 3 12 December 2013 14:41
Action Replay MK I for A500 worth anything? mk1 support.Hardware 6 07 February 2013 23:04
Worth getting? LaserFrog Retrogaming General Discussion 3 02 September 2006 02:22
How much is worth? Eny- MarketPlace 10 28 April 2005 01:25

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 21:31.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Page generated in 0.27226 seconds with 14 queries