English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 19 May 2017, 00:34   #661
starship

Hi guys.
I always get client error on shogodemo from aminet.
I tried with shogolauncher update but it is same.
Tried ahi and paula sound mod. Raised shogo icon stack to 100000.
I have radeon so I select software blit but client error again
AdSense AdSense  
Old 19 May 2017, 00:37   #662
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrangler View Post
Readme of the library? I don't follow. The memory stick has a label on it saying 4K REF. I thought it was 8K refresh that caused problems, not 4k??
No, 4k doesn't work. It MAY work briefly, you might get past the quick n' dirty memory check when the library starts, but it will get corrupted and will cause crashes. It has to be 2k refresh.

And I hang my head in a shame for this since I thought it would be easy to get 4k refresh working, just double (or half) REFINT and it should work right-no it didn't work.
Old 19 May 2017, 04:10   #663
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by starship View Post
Hi guys.
I always get client error on shogodemo from aminet.
I tried with shogolauncher update but it is same.
Tried ahi and paula sound mod. Raised shogo icon stack to 100000.
I have radeon so I select software blit but client error again
Not sure about this, but it could be that it is trying to use a BE mode for software rendering. I'll try filtering out my BE modes and starting it with software rendering to rule this out as possibility.
Old 19 May 2017, 15:11   #664
DarrenHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedeon View Post
AmigaAMP can be configured to use any unit. Don't use unit 0 for it. Use Paula DMA for unit 0.
Doesn't AmigaAMP complain if you don't have a Stereo++ mode as unit 0?
Old 19 May 2017, 15:43   #665
Hedeon
Sonnet Hacker

AmigaAMP checks the unit you choose in the preferences for a Stereo++ mode. So in the preferences of AmigaAMP, choose AHI unit 1, 2 or 3. In the AHI prefs, set music unit and unit 0 to Paula 8 bit DMA and the others to stereo++ modes (or whatever you want).
Old 19 May 2017, 19:15   #666
DarrenHD

Quote:
AmigaAMP checks the unit you choose in the preferences for a Stereo++ mode. So in the preferences of AmigaAMP, choose AHI unit 1, 2 or 3. In the AHI prefs, set music unit and unit 0 to Paula 8 bit DMA and the others to stereo++ modes (or whatever you want).
Ok thanks. I think I will try another clean install of OS 3.9 BB2 before sending you my sys:

Also, do you think you will be able to solve deficons?

And...does it matter which mpega.library is used? There is a 68K+WarpUP one (mixed binary) that comes with OS 3.9. I think its 102KB in size. Is it ok to use that one?

Last edited by DarrenHD; 19 May 2017 at 19:21.
Old 19 May 2017, 20:09   #667
Wrangler

Quote:
It says 2K in the readme of the library
Ah! Yes, it does now!
But I thought that Sonnet 7200s in Macs could cope with 4k refresh (but not 8k)? Although as grelbarlk says, it may not be easy to program.

Does anyone know where to get hold of any 64MB 2k refresh DIMMS - or are prepared to part with any??
Old 19 May 2017, 21:10   #668
DarrenHD

Quote:
Ah! Yes, it does now!
But I thought that Sonnet 7200s in Macs could cope with 4k refresh (but not 8k)? Although as grelbarlk says, it may not be easy to program.

Does anyone know where to get hold of any 64MB 2k refresh DIMMS - or are prepared to part with any??
How do you tell if the ram is 2k refresh or 4k? I have bought one of these and it's what I'm using.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/64MB-FPM-MEMO...-/350479061155

I think it's the same listing as yours.
Old 19 May 2017, 21:49   #669
Wrangler

On mine, the warranty sticker says "4K REF" on it (amongst other things)
Old 19 May 2017, 22:51   #670
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenHD View Post
How do you tell if the ram is 2k refresh or 4k? I have bought one of these and it's what I'm using.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/64MB-FPM-MEMO...-/350479061155

I think it's the same listing as yours.
The only way to be sure if it's not identified on a sticker is to get the part number off of the memory chips. Then look up the datasheet for those RAM chips. Post them in the thread and I'll have a look.

And yes the Macs and the Sonnet in Macs support 4K refresh and 128MB DIMMs. Hedeon hasn't figured out what timings to give it to make it work for either. I knifed around with it for a while and didn't get any where. The other option which I started to work on and got sidetracked is to put the Sonnet in a PowerMac 7200 and check the registers to see how they configured it, assuming we had any idea what memory location to check. It could be that Sonnet is reading the SPD off of the chip and modifying timings based on what it reads, Hedeon didn't have any success reading the SPD last time we talked about it.

The 4K, 128MB and EDO(being slower) stuff I think is all tied together in setting the timings right.

Last edited by grelbfarlk; 19 May 2017 at 23:12.
Old 20 May 2017, 04:14   #671
DarrenHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by grelbfarlk View Post
The only way to be sure if it's not identified on a sticker is to get the part number off of the memory chips. Then look up the datasheet for those RAM chips. Post them in the thread and I'll have a look.

And yes the Macs and the Sonnet in Macs support 4K refresh and 128MB DIMMs. Hedeon hasn't figured out what timings to give it to make it work for either. I knifed around with it for a while and didn't get any where. The other option which I started to work on and got sidetracked is to put the Sonnet in a PowerMac 7200 and check the registers to see how they configured it, assuming we had any idea what memory location to check. It could be that Sonnet is reading the SPD off of the chip and modifying timings based on what it reads, Hedeon didn't have any success reading the SPD last time we talked about it.

The 4K, 128MB and EDO(being slower) stuff I think is all tied together in setting the timings right.
I just checked mine. There is a sticker on it that says FPM 2K REF 5V.

So I guess it's 2K.

Hedeon: With my clean install sound is working. Encore by night works too and ppc gears demos. I guess I am back to where I was before I tried to switch to a voodoo3 LOL!

Only thing that doesn't work still is PPC MemTest which says memory failed to allocate. (It's always said that on my system for some reason).

AmigaAMP also seems to have less of a delay when initially starting.
Old 20 May 2017, 11:40   #672
Hedeon
Sonnet Hacker

Quote:

Only thing that doesn't work still is PPC MemTest which says memory failed to allocate. (It's always said that on my system for some reason).
The only thing I can say now is try to look with Snoopy (it's on Aminet) how allocmem() is called and why it fails.

Are we btw talking about the same memtest? Where did you get it from? Does it fail during start or during test?
Old 20 May 2017, 11:46   #673
Hedeon
Sonnet Hacker

Quote:
Ah! Yes, it does now!
But I thought that Sonnet 7200s in Macs could cope with 4k refresh (but not 8k)?
No, the main page now indicates it. It has been in the Aminet Readme (the one I linked to on Git) all the time

I talked to some Apple people last weekend and the old macs mostly worked with 2K refresh and some didn't work with 4K (like the 7200). That doesn't mean that the Sonnet doesn't work with 4K though.

Anyway, someone needs to install 4K mem on a Sonnet, put it in a Mac 7200 and read out the memory settings.

I think however that the latter needs a self-written program. I'm not sure there are apps on the Mac that can address PCI configurations through CONFIG_ADDR and CONFIG_DATA?
Old 20 May 2017, 23:05   #674
trixster
Guru Meditating

Quote:
Originally Posted by grelbfarlk View Post
Yes, and yes. But aside from the board layout, there's nothing really we need from Sonnet(some help on how they supported 4K refresh memory withstanding).

One idea was to strip a board down to the PCB and send it out to a pcb cloner but that was decided to not be necessary since the design is pretty much all in the Motorola docs.

Nothing set in stone yet but there may be news when more progress is made.
Any update on this?!
Old 20 May 2017, 23:39   #675
Hedeon
Sonnet Hacker

Some recent work of CowCat:

http://amigafun.blogspot.nl/2017/05/
Old 21 May 2017, 03:15   #676
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixster View Post
Any update on this?!
No sorry, the guys working on it have sworn an oath to not make any announcements until it's done. No broken promises, no hype, no vaporware.

Which I know is frustrating because a lot of people would throw money down right now, but as someone who hit refresh twice a day for three years on the ultimateppc page, I understand why they'd do that.

But hey that doesn't stop anyone from making an even better card along the way.

Quote:
Some recent work of CowCat:

http://amigafun.blogspot.nl/2017/05/
Old 21 May 2017, 03:30   #677
DarrenHD

Quote:
The only thing I can say now is try to look with Snoopy (it's on Aminet) how allocmem() is called and why it fails.

Are we btw talking about the same memtest? Where did you get it from? Does it fail during start or during test?
Aminet I think, but perhaps Amigans.net.

Short: PPC-Memory Test
Author: Christian Kummerow
Version: 0.93 BETA 24.05.2010
Type: util/misc
Architecture: ppc-warupup; ppc-amigaos

It displays a graphic of your ram chips as it tests.

Darren
Old 21 May 2017, 11:22   #678
Hedeon
Sonnet Hacker

Quote:
Aminet I think, but perhaps Amigans.net.

Short: PPC-Memory Test
Author: Christian Kummerow
Version: 0.93 BETA 24.05.2010
Type: util/misc
Architecture: ppc-warupup; ppc-amigaos

It displays a graphic of your ram chips as it tests.

Darren
I redownloaded it, tested it and it works. Maybe you have some patch sitting in the way?
Old 21 May 2017, 12:46   #679
Hedeon
Sonnet Hacker

Some progress on Hexen II for WarpOS:

http://amigafun.blogspot.nl/2017/05/...elopments.html
Old 21 May 2017, 13:18   #680
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Some progress on Hexen II for WarpOS:

http://amigafun.blogspot.nl/2017/05/...elopments.html
Sweet! From the console output I see Midi was disabled at compile time, if he was looking for something different to do with that, maybe suggest trying CAMD.library or AMidi for Midi support. Then people could have the option of software rendering or using an actual Midi synth.
AdSense AdSense